Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Only 15 players in the league have more playoff goals than Jake since he broke into the league. Only 38 have more points. Any player the Bruins try to replace that type of production with is going to cost significantly more than 6 million. Letting him walk over half a million a year would be a huge mistake. He just out produced our 12 million dollar star winger in the playoffs. With the COVID impacts gone, Vegas and Seattle doing very well, and the league biggest money loser in the Coyotes heading to greener pastures, the Cap will be over 100 million before you know it. Go long term with Jake to keep his caphit down and laugh when he’s outperforming other teams 8 figure stars like he just did this playoffs.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Only 15 players in the league have more playoff goals than Jake since he broke into the league. Only 38 have more points. Any player the Bruins try to replace that type of production with is going to cost significantly more than 6 million. Letting him walk over half a million a year would be a huge mistake. He just out produced our 12 million dollar star winger in the playoffs. With the COVID impacts gone, Vegas and Seattle doing very well, and the league biggest money loser in the Coyotes heading to greener pastures, the Cap will be over 100 million before you know it. Go long term with Jake to keep his caphit down and laugh when he’s outperforming other teams 8 figure stars like he just did this playoffs.

And only 18 players have played as many games as Jake over that time.

And only 6 players have a worse +/- than Jake's -16.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021

bearcountry17 said​

Numbers....lol. Both bring numbers correctly but following which one you consider on the above opinion, the story is completely different. Il like it.

For Jake, I love the kid, how he grew IMO since 2020. But with all the saga, and some inconsistency in his game, he definitely was not IMO a unanimous fan player. And now he is getting 28 in October. We know who he is in Boston. We don,t know what he could become in another environnement like Edmonton for example.

If I was him, unless he is taking a Boston home discount (which I do not know why he would do that) I would go elsewhere. There is no way that kid getting market value can not be thrown under the bus by Boston fans.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

Using plus minus is pretty stupid bud. Reilly smith is +14 and Terravainen is +12 better than Patrice Bergeron since 17-18. Does that mean they are better defensive players? Maybe if the Centers, Defensemen, and Goaltenders, you know the guys who are far more responsible in keeping pucks out of the net, did their jobs he would have a better plus minus. Tyler Bertuzzi had more bone head defensive plays in a 7 game series for us than Jake has had in 86 games. Debrusk is, at worst, an average defensive player.

Playoff G/Gp(minimum 14 GP) have him 20th amongst left wingers in between Jason Robertson and Panarin. 11th amongst RWers in between Tarasenko and Kucherov. P/GP is 29th for LWers, 31st for RWers. Almost seems like he scores in the playoffs at a legit 1st line rate and puts up points on a lower end 1st liner rate. But I'm probably just being a homer and there is no way the Bruins are gonna miss the guy that just led their team in playoff goals and points and can play either wing and both specialty teams at a very good rate...

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Using plus minus is pretty stupid bud. Reilly smith is +14 and Terravainen is +12 better than Patrice Bergeron since 17-18. Does that mean they are better defensive players? Maybe if the Centers, Defensemen, and Goaltenders, you know the guys who are far more responsible in keeping pucks out of the net, did their jobs he would have a better plus minus. Tyler Bertuzzi had more bone head defensive plays in a 7 game series for us than Jake has had in 86 games. Debrusk is, at worst, an average defensive player.

Playoff G/Gp(minimum 14 GP) have him 20th amongst left wingers in between Jason Robertson and Panarin. 11th amongst RWers in between Tarasenko and Kucherov. P/GP is 29th for LWers, 31st for RWers. Almost seems like he scores in the playoffs at a legit 1st line rate and puts up points on a lower end 1st liner rate. But I'm probably just being a homer and there is no way the Bruins are gonna miss the guy that just led their team in playoff goals and points and can play either wing and both specialty teams at a very good rate...

Using goals scored over Debrusk's specific time in the league seems really stupid.

He had 27, Ovie had 26. Is he a better goal scorer than Ovechkin?

Plus/minus is not a simple reflection of defensive play. But it's an excellent indicator of team success while that player is on the ice.

Having only 6 guys with worse +/- over a span of 7 seasons seems much more telling to me than total goals over that span.

Reactions: lopey

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Reason is that the Bruins are always in the playoffs.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Plus/minus is useful. It just shouldn’t be used as a standalone stat.

Someone like Carlo is going to be negatively impacted by it because he gets high defensive zone starts. Then guys like torey krug are going to be positively impacted by high offensive zone starts.

Just have to use it comparatively.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
We have a player in DeBrusk for led the team in scoring in the PO and played hard. Should we sign guys who score more in the regular season ? He drives me nuts at times but he helps beat the Leafs in the PO and that is worth something to me. 6x6 For me. Ya it’s to much but any one we sign will be over paid. Way more money than players this July 1st.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
It really isn’t. At all.
I agree, it's as much a reflection of who you are stuck playing with. Debrusk, over his career has never had the same line mates from year to year and some years from week to week, game to game.
His resigning from the teams perspective is a tough call. The talent is there, but is the consistency ever going to come. If 6M is the new median for solid players, in today NHL economy, I guess he is worth it as a known commodity. spending the same amount on an outsider, does not guarantee a better fit.
Tough call.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Using goals scored over Debrusk's specific time in the league seems really stupid.

He had 27, Ovie had 26. Is he a better goal scorer than Ovechkin?

Plus/minus is not a simple reflection of defensive play. But it's an excellent indicator of team success while that player is on the ice.

Having only 6 guys with worse +/- over a span of 7 seasons seems much more telling to me than total goals over that span.

I broke it down to a game played basis and it still shows that he scores goals in the playoffs at a first line rate. If Jake was out there constantly making bad defensive plays I would agree with you. I don’t think it is the case. As you said +\- is a team stat. So build a better team around the guys that can actually put the puck in the net when it matters. For what it’s worth Jake is a positive Corsi and neutral Corsi Rel player over his career playoff games.

Reactions: Mione134

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You toss plus minus into every statistical discussion. It’s an analytic - and there isn’t a worse one out there. That’s not even my opinion - just look around.
On this year's team... out of 24 Bruins

Debrusk was
19th in CF%
19th in FF%
21 in SF%
22 in xGF%
19th in SCF%
21st in HDCF%

Given those numbers... is it really shocking and just bad luck that Jake was a team worst -6 in 5 on 5 play?

EDIT: That said, the team needs goal scoring and letting him go for nothing is a risky strategy if they can't replace him with 2 better Fs.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
We don't talk about how Jake was replaced by JVR on PP 1 earlier in the season. Whereas other seasons, that was his bread and butter. He thrives there. If we let him go, you're gonna be paying a higher price for an unknown. So be prepared for that.

I do hope we re-sign him. But who knows.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We don't talk about how Jake was replaced by JVR on PP 1 earlier in the season. Whereas other seasons, that was his bread and butter. He thrives there. If we let him go, you're gonna be paying a higher price for an unknown. So be prepared for that.

I do hope we re-sign him. But who knows.
If he goes I am not seeing replacements I’m comfortable with

Toffoli I keep hearing but he’s going to be 35 or 36 even on a short deal when it runs out

Heinen could play there but Colorado as expected is being mentioned as they do a bottom 6 do over

He’s better then Kuraly and he got 4/10

Good time to see if Beecher can play in the LW spot vacated by Jake and get Lauko more minutes

Im a Boqvist fan so he could slide into Heinen spot as well

Lot of good internal solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad