Kraken 2024 Offseason chatter

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
According to Friedman the Canes are not bringing back Brett Pesce and Martin Necas.

Necas would be interesting given that he's only 25 years of age.
Though, he'll be an RFA and we'd need to trade for his rights.

Pesce had a rough year, but I am surprised by the Canes boldness with Necas. Such a talented player.

He's always stood out as an awkward fit on Carolina because he's not a good forechecker, not a guy for a dump and chase team. He's a great rush player.

The Kraken, so far we've been a bit more of a dump and chase type team, just not to the degree that the Canes are. Diet Hurricanes, you could call us. So if we go for Necas it would be a big signal that we're trying to move in a more rush oriented direction.

Guess what GM drafted Necas? Ron Francis.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Pesce had a rough year, but I am surprised by the Canes boldness with Necas. Such a talented player.

He's always stood out as an awkward fit on Carolina because he's not a good forechecker, not a guy for a dump and chase team. He's a great rush player.

The Kraken, so far we've been a bit more of a dump and chase type team, just not to the degree that the Canes are. Diet Hurricanes, you could call us. So if we go for Necas it would be a big signal that we're trying to move in a more rush oriented direction.

Guess what GM drafted Necas? Ron Francis.
I guess the coach selection will decide that for us. Though what exactly is a rush oriented style? I swear all the coaches I have watched have just played dump and chase.

• Haha
Reactions: RainyCityHockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I guess the coach selection will decide that for us. Though what exactly is a rush oriented style? I swear all the coaches I have watched have just played dump and chase.

I don't remember where to find the stats on this - but there are teams that dump and chase much more than others. The Hurricanes are always on top of that list. And then there are clubs that carry it in much more than others - that tend to generate more chances off the entry.

My Jackets under Torts were a dump and chase team and then in the last three years they've been one of the teams that carries the puck in the most and dumps it in the least.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Any guess as to what the asking price might be for Necas?

Well, you're trading for his RFA rights.
Most likely a 2nd + would be my guess.

BTW: Patrick Laine is said to have sold his house in Columbus.
Could be someone to take a chance on and most likely for cheap(trade asset wise).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think more like our 1st, and we can assume any team acquiring him will have a contract worked out with Necas first.

They won't take futures for themselves but maybe Carolina would take futures to parlay them in a separate deal. The only other piece of interest for them that I can think of is Adam Larsson.

Per Canes fans on the mains, they expect Necas will go for something close to $8m x 8. I'd have to think long and hard about whether that's worth it. He's not a very complete player.

Could be someone to take a chance on and most likely for cheap(trade asset wise).

Laine would come much cheaper and thankfully doesn't require a long term commitment. He's also got a lot more off ice issues to sort out first.

Hypothetically though if he was interested in a fresh start elsewhere, I think the Jackets would make it happen and it would cost little.

Oddly enough my issues with him are similar to Necas in that he always prefers to rush the puck and this is more of a forechecking team. There would have to be a more full transformation.

Laine does so many things well, including passing and backchecking which folks tend to not know about outside of Columbus. But his propensity to rush every puck leads to a lot of frustrating turnovers.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004

I dunno about Laine. Following the Jets, something just clicked off in that kid back when the whole thing about him being “addicted” to Fortnite made the rounds. He just isn’t the same player, almost like he lost his love for the game.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think more like our 1st, and we can assume any team acquiring him will have a contract worked out with Necas first.

They won't take futures for themselves but maybe Carolina would take futures to parlay them in a separate deal. The only other piece of interest for them that I can think of is Adam Larsson.

Per Canes fans on the mains, they expect Necas will go for something close to $8m x 8. I'd have to think long and hard about whether that's worth it. He's not a very complete player.

No one's going to give the Canes a top ten pick for the rights to an RFA they can't keep because of financial restrictions.

Though, if he truly wants 8x8(I doubt it) then you probably have to take a long hard look at that.

Laine would come much cheaper and thankfully doesn't require a long term commitment. He's also got a lot more off ice issues to sort out first.

Hypothetically though if he was interested in a fresh start elsewhere, I think the Jackets would make it happen and it would cost little.

Oddly enough my issues with him are similar to Necas in that he always prefers to rush the puck and this is more of a forechecking team. There would have to be a more full transformation.

Laine does so many things well, including passing and backchecking which folks tend to not know about outside of Columbus. But his propensity to rush every puck leads to a lot of frustrating turnovers.

Yeah, Laine would be interesting and could be had at a low cost if you're negotiating well.

Wouldn't mind taking a chance on him given that he only has two years left on his deal.

Reactions: kihei

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
From the Kraken's standpoint, what pieces are expendable to get an elite forward?

Elite? Most. Hold onto Beniers and Wright for sure, Dunn, McCann, Bjorkstrand too. That’s me. I have a couple others I’d consider. If you can trade anybody else away for a ln elite forward, I think you do it because you can keep the pieces I mention. You need good players to compliment elite talent.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Elite? Most. Hold onto Beniers and Wright for sure, Dunn, McCann, Bjorkstrand too. That’s me. I have a couple others I’d consider. If you can trade anybody else away for a ln elite forward, I think you do it because you can keep the pieces I mention. You need good players to compliment elite talent.

I wouldn't mind trading Bjorkstrand as well.
You've got to give to get something and you also need to create space for the "elite guy".

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I’m reconsidering. I think everybody is on the table. We don’t have a player as good as an elite forward. Only a couple guys with the potential. If the right deal can get an elite level player you consider everybody when you don’t have an elite level player.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I’m reconsidering. I think everybody is on the table. We don’t have a player as good as an elite forward. Only a couple guys with the potential. If the right deal can get an elite level player you consider everybody when you don’t have an elite level player.
Thats exactly how my thinking is too. We have a lot of good players but no elite players. I would keep Beniers and Wright around but other than that, have most of our players and prospects on the table.

Ofcourse, who I would want to give up depends on the player we would get back.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
If you gave me a choice of 3 to keep, I’d go Wright and Beniers for potential. Then I’d have to choose between McCann and Dunn for the 3rd. Give me 4 and I’m good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad