Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The NHL network is reporting Mitchy would waive no trade to go to Nashville, Ducks or Sharks.
They also have few cap restrictions, meaning they have ability to pay him a long term contract.
Who knows if any real truth in report, since it did not come from Muskoka but the money angle works.
I’ll take the Brian Burke special from SJ. 2 1sts and a 2nd.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The NHL network is reporting Mitchy would waive no trade to go to Nashville, Ducks or Sharks.
They also have few cap restrictions, meaning they have ability to pay him a long term contract.
Who knows if any real truth in report, since it did not come from Muskoka but the money angle works.
If he is smart/greedy he'll waive to anybody willing to pay him. He's not getting his next deal here unless he is willing to take a haircut and even then, do the Leafs want to run it back? Doubt it.

Reactions: arso40

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Well since marner has said and done absolutely everything you could possible say or do to make a fan base hate you, I fully expect he will not waive his NMC and sign with a new team next summer and we get nothing lol.
I wonder about this as well. Paul will want Mitch close by so he signs with buffalo or ottawa or detroit.....d'oh!

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I wonder about this as well. Paul will want Mitch close by so he signs with buffalo or ottawa or detroit.....d'oh!
I could get into SIGNED Marner for Owen Power deal.

Ottawa would be near impossible, as Stutzle/Tkachuk would be the comparable, and Chychrun and a 1st (7th) would be the likely ask (Sanderson straight up, but, dont know if I think Sanderson has top pairing potential)

Detriot has prospects, Sandin Pellikka and a 1st would be my ask, since Sieder would likely be a non-starter

Reactions: arso40

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Ottawa would be near impossible, as Stutzle/Tkachuk would be the comparable, and Chychrun and a 1st (7th) would be the likely ask (Sanderson straight up, but, dont know if I think Sanderson has top pairing potential)

Detriot has prospects, Sandin Pellikka and a 1st would be my ask, since Sieder would likely be a non-starter
me too

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
no d'oh.

that would be great.

get the douche off the team but keep him close enough to constantly laugh at his antics.

I don't expect the douche will waive, and we'll be letting him go for nothing. Best to prepare for that now.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Of those three the Ducks have by far the most interesting pieces.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Daily repetition that he's fired and if we can get anything useful for him we should take it and run. Treliving will make his name on whether he can get value in this deal where he simply must trade a playoff ghost with a big contract and an NMC, but that doesn't change the fact that Marner is persona non grata. He is fired. We are breaking up. Best of luck to him on his new team, I hope he figures it out. If we get anything more than a single 2nd round pick I'll be jazzed. In the highly unlikely event that 31 teams don't want him and we would have to pay Marleau prices to offload him, then we keep him next year and let him walk as a UFA.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
is anyone else afraid of a Gibson + Zegras for Marner deal?
I'd love Gibson, but Zegras is just a shittier Marner

Marner notwithstanding, Chychrun would be a great add if we want someone that can come in and run the PP while also playing physical.

I refuse to believe Trotz would be that dumb to pay all that money to dump Duchene and RyJo just to bring in Marner

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd love Gibson, but Zegras is just a shittier Marner

Marner notwithstanding, Chychrun would be a great add if we want someone that can come in and run the PP while also playing physical.

I refuse to believe Trotz would be that dumb to pay all that money to dump Duchene and RyJo just to bring in Marner
1716315485941.gif

• Love
Reactions: PromisedLand

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This doesn't make sense for any party involved.
  • Marner is in his prime. He's not joining a rebuilder
  • Those rebuilding teams don't want someone in his prime. They want someone who is 22-25 years old, just on the cusp, as that would match their current timeline.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This list seems to be low pressure teams where he could be loved and paid.
Yeah that makes sense. My first thought was that Marner would want to go to a contender but having thought about it a bit more, I figure some people in his camp have more brains than he does (not saying much, but still) and they'll understand that going to a team like that is the way to max his earning potential.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Nashville has over $20m in dead cap space over the next 2 years combined with buyouts & salary retention - hardly sounds like a team who is ready to add a $10.9m winger and extend him for potentially more than that.

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
This doesn't make sense for any party involved.
  • Marner is in his prime. He's not joining a rebuilder
  • Those rebuilding teams don't want someone in his prime. They want someone who is 22-25 years old, just on the cusp, as that would match their current timeline.
Name me a contender with capspace for marner, I’ll wait. Marner is not getting his money and on a contender. And since marner has shown his true Color’s, money is the #1 priority. Marner would love no tax Nashville.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Name me a contender with capspace for marner, I’ll wait. Marner is not getting his money and on a contender. And since marner has shown his true Color’s, money is the #1 priority. Marner would love no tax Nashville.
I'd love Askarov, or I'd rather Keep Marner. Elite for Elite, with cap savings, or no deal... a expiring cap dump is okay as an addon

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
And any team that pays Marner an 8 figure cap hit is unlikely to contend just by virtue of paying him that much

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad