Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
This doesn't make sense for any party involved.
  • Marner is in his prime. He's not joining a rebuilder
  • Those rebuilding teams don't want someone in his prime. They want someone who is 22-25 years old, just on the cusp, as that would match their current timeline.
So Nashville it is! Bring on a trade for Saros on the rest of his one year deal and a few prospects straight up!

Nashville has over $20m in dead cap space over the next 2 years combined with buyouts & salary retention - hardly sounds like a team who is ready to add a $10.9m winger and extend him for potentially more than that.
So don't extend him. It's a put up or shut up year. Then the Marner camp will realize his REAL VALUE.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Literally all of them.

It's the off-season - most/all contenders just need to make a small combination of move a guy here/not resign a guy there, and you've created the cap space to absorb Marner's $10.9M

most contenders simply need to just move off a guy here, and/or not resign a guy there and you have room. For example, Tampa not resigning Stamkos or Dumba to their equivalent deals from last year frees up $12.5M.

Remember - you can go over the cap in the off-season by 10%. That's $9M right there.
You continue to make absolutely no sense. Most of us have clarified our stances on Marner. You seem all over the place.

Care to state your position CLEARLY?

Reactions: arso40

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
This is a guy looked to be a leader on this hockey team. A player who whose team has been the butt of jokes because of 7 years of playoff let downs ... and he's acting like Jim Carey after games. He seemed really dialed in this year to change outsiders perspectives on this team, that's for sure!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is a guy looked to be a leader on this hockey team. A player who whose team has been the butt of jokes because of 7 years of playoff let downs ... and he's acting like Jim Carey after games. He seemed really dialed in this year to change outsiders perspectives on this team, that's for sure!

How dare you. Mitch battles very hard for every contract. Nobody will sit there for a fortnite and proxy war his team like the passionate Mitchell Marner. To think in 2024 people are making fun of our very own Xena Warrior Princess on ice is just, its appaul-marnering.

I dont know what got into you Povsky.

😆

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
OK guys. By now you know that I'm not one to make crap up. I have a buddy in the nutrition industry that supplies supplements to a few NHL players. One of them is Cody Ceci who he knows quite well. A couple of years ago he told me Ceci had Covid. When I went to the Oilers board to mention it, some called me a troll and then a few hours later it came out that he did in fact test positive for COVID.

Last Friday night just as the Panthers vs Bruins game had started, his phone was ringing and he showed me the name. I saw the last "Ferris" and thought it was Marner's agent. He told me it wasn't Darren but that it was his brother instead. He didn't want to answer the phone with 3 of us there so he ignored him.

I'm working on trying to see what I can find out!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Translation, Leafs have not been calling other teams about Marner but we will be, lol

How dare you. Mitch battles very hard for every contract. Nobody will sit there for a fortnite and proxy war his team like the passionate Mitchell Marner. To think in 2024 people are making fun of our very own Xena Warrior Princess on ice is just, its appaul-marnering.

I dont know what got into you Povsky.

😆
You lost me at Xena Warrior Princess. She was beating GODs in that show and not a God hereself. Lol

Reactions: HolyCrap and arso40

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
I really don’t know why a team would want marner. The guy is useless come playoff time.
He had a rough series this year and overall in his career hasn't been as effective as you would like in the playoffs but saying he's useless is quite an exaggeration. He has 50 pts in 57 playoff games, not great for someone like him but also not terrible.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Don't know about you guys but if I am paying somebody more than Josi ($9m), it is not Marner.
It's a good point, I want Saros but Marner won't fit into pay structures of developed teams and he likely prefers to waive for a contender. Bit of a conundrum - will he take a pay cut for a contending team? Stay tuned.

And equally one year of Saros. BUT yes sign and trade to give the 8th year.
Does he require a sign and trade this far out? Lou signed Horvat to eight years.

I really don’t know why a team would want marner. The guy is useless come playoff time.
It's pretty rare for any of the 32 teams to be able to trade for a player of Marners caliber. There's typically warts to work out but you do it to capitalize on such a rare occurrence.

Reactions: ToneDog and arso40

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Going to guess there will be some callers. Leafs may play it in a discussion with Mitch that a team is offering an extension of $x for 8 years (number will need to be in the 13mm+ range to do this). The return to the Leafs also needs to be really good. They can say straight out that they are offering no more than 12.5mm if he wants to stay. Slightly above the cap% he currently has assuming a 92mm cap when the new contract begins. Whatever happens, it will likely get settled this summer one way or another.
I would be surprised if this is allowed to go into the new year. Highly likely that Marner will continue to be a Leaf next year.

Reactions: Confucius

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Going to guess there will be some callers. Leafs may play it in a discussion with Mitch that a team is offering an extension of $x for 8 years (number will need to be in the 13mm+ range to do this). The return to the Leafs also needs to be really good. They can say straight out that they are offering no more than 12.5mm if he wants to stay. Slightly above the cap% he currently has assuming a 92mm cap when the new contract begins. Whatever happens, it will likely get settled this summer one way or another.
I would be surprised if this is allowed to go into the new year. Highly likely that Marner will continue to be a Leaf next year.
OK I will bite, who is offering $13mm+x8? You can bet your life Leafs are not offering 12.5m.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Why the heck would we be offering 12.5m to stay. He is a toxic asset here with no fan support and taking the lions share of the blame for the failed core.

He is going to be lucky to get WN money in the US. Do you honestly think GMs don't see his PO pedigree? I know some GMs see a buy low opportunity on a good regular season player that can help a team get into POs but outside that the emperor wears no clothes, he's exposed.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why the heck would we be offering 12.5m to stay. He is a toxic asset here with no fan support and taking the lions share of the blame for the failed core.

He is going to be lucky to get WN money in the US. Do you honestly think GMs don't see his PO pedigree? I know some GMs see a buy low opportunity on a good regular season player that can help a team get into POs but outside that the emperor wears no clothes, he's exposed.
The only way I see Marner getting $12+m is if he signs with the Leafs and the Leafs retain $2-$3m when they trade him. Nobody outside the idiot Leafs are overpaying on an overpay for a small, soft, weak, playmaking winger who has had very little playoff success. Luckily the Leafs are moving on so they can't shoot themselves in the foot a second time.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
High draft picks and well scouted prospects are not "magic beans".

We know what we have in Mitch and it's not enough before the 2nd record setting contract. Yes cap space is absolutely crucial and vital to building a balanced team. Would you like to sign Knies long term? Are you witnessing how damaging it was to lose Hyman over his paltry 5M?

How much blame did Kerfoot, Holl, Sammy, etc receive? We don't have money for someone better. The big guys are making money that communicates that they don't need help. So yeah, pointing at the bottom end of the roster and saying they aren't difference makers does, in fact come back to the big 4 being vastly overpaid. You can't bring MM back. It's not personal, it's not because I don't like the griddy or fortnight (which I'm sure is a brutal video game btw), or any of his interviews (which are also in horrible form for an assistant captain), it's because you need to be brutally effective with the cap space and we've coughed up more than enough assets attempting to make this format work. It's over.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Because it’s the Leafs. Just when I think they finally get it, they don’t. Much like their playoff constructed team.

Willy makes 11.5 and no way Marner takes less than that. No doubt he would be looking between Matthews and Nylander contract. 12.5.

I wouldn’t pay it, I would trade him as soon as he waives, or not re-sign him if he refuses. If he refuses, I would fill out the roster this year with 1 million dollar grinders, get my one higher priced D or goalie acquisition and play it out getting 22 million gone next year.

Again, this is the Leafs. I will believe it when it’s announced in trade center.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
High draft picks and well scouted prospects are not "magic beans".

We know what we have in Mitch and it's not enough before the 2nd record setting contract. Yes cap space is absolutely crucial and vital to building a balanced team. Would you like to sign Knies long term? Are you witnessing how damaging it was to lose Hyman over his paltry 5M?

How much blame did Kerfoot, Holl, Sammy, etc receive? We don't have money for someone better. The big guys are making money that communicates that they don't need help. So yeah, pointing at the bottom end of the roster and saying they aren't difference makers does, in fact come back to the big 4 being vastly overpaid. You can't bring MM back. It's not personal, it's not because I don't like the griddy or fortnight (which I'm sure is a brutal video game btw), or any of his interviews (which are also in horrible form for an assistant captain), it's because you need to be brutally effective with the cap space and we've coughed up more than enough assets attempting to make this format work. It's over.
Nalied it. Not only have we had to throw players overboard to pay these four playoff losers, Dubas bled assets adding at the TDL because the four losers could not get out of round #1. That is the brutal truth. Yet some still think the solution is to resign Marner for $100m. Wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad