Player Discussion: Matt Dumba

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Almost certainly came from Dumba or his agent. He's gonna want teams considering him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Dumba and Duclair was a such a waste of assets, we knew we weren't competing this year. Hopefully we can bring Duclair back at a good price and salvage something from that.

Reactions: ultra63

NJBolt

May 1, 2024
Realistically, will this team seriously compete for a Stanley Cup as it is set up. Probably not. Seems we are following the Penguins path instead of Chicago's.

That said, there is something to be said for player legacy.

Compare Chicago's handling of Kane/Toews versus Pittsburgh with Crosby/Malkin.

Chicago had Hagel and DeBrincat coming up and they still blew it up. That may have been the correct choice but still feels all kinds of wrong.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So you think they should go into a rebuild now?

We can't, because no picks. We aren't competing for a cup either.

The Duclair trade was a success because it gave us a chance to shoot our shot in the postseason. I don't like being in NHL purgatory either but it is what it is now.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

The Duclair trade was a success because it gave us a chance to shoot our shot in the postseason. I don't like being in NHL purgatory either but it is what it is now.

It was a waste, given how Vasy was playing we knew it was a longshot to even get out of the 1st round and in the end we lost...in the 1st round. Best move would've been to stay pat, if we were in a better position next year then go ahead and make a trade if not great we use that pick and develop Thompson further, didn't make any sense to put bandages on when it was pouring with issues this year.

We stay longer in NHL purgatory because of moves like Dumba and Duclair on years like this one. There's definitely a path to icing a cup competitive team next year, I'm much more optimistic about this upcoming season than the previous one, I feel like JBB will finally relent after 2 seasons and move "core" player.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Dumba just doesn't have the hockey smarts to play in Cooper's system. So thanks for the penalties at key times and good luck in free agency.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It was a waste, given how Vasy was playing we knew it was a longshot to even get out of the 1st round and in the end we lost...in the 1st round. Best move would've been to stay pat, if we were in a better position next year then go ahead and make a trade if not great we use that pick and develop Thompson further, didn't make any sense to put bandages on when it was pouring with issues this year.

We stay longer in NHL purgatory because of moves like Dumba and Duclair on years like this one. There's definitely a path to icing a cup competitive team next year, I'm much more optimistic about this upcoming season than the previous one, I feel like JBB will finally relent after 2 seasons and move "core" player.

Naw, if you can make the postseason for a third and a B prospect you make the deal. A long shot is better than no shot.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The McDonagh move gives us a chance to put together a real team. Maybe not a contender, but a team with a shot. Of course, a lot of other things have to fall into place. But if McDonagh can be 90% of what he was... well, it's a start.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The McDonagh move gives us a chance to put together a real team. Maybe not a contender, but a team with a shot. Of course, a lot of other things have to fall into place. But if McDonagh can be 90% of what he was... well, it's a start.

Still not a contender but a better shot for sure. I think that’s my point, we are no longer the top dog but we still are in a position to get in and upset the Apple cart for a few years.

We have to be ok with that because rebuilds aren’t always clean, there’s a chance we could screw it up or pick the wrong top prospect and then we turn into the Sabres or Panthers for a decade.

Still need the Stamkos thing to fall into place too

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Still not a contender but a better shot for sure. I think that’s my point, we are no longer the top dog but we still are in a position to get in and upset the Apple cart for a few years.

We have to be ok with that because rebuilds aren’t always clean, there’s a chance we could screw it up or pick the wrong top prospect and then we turn into the Sabres or Panthers for a decade.

Still need the Stamkos thing to fall into place too
Yeah, I agree. It's too early for a rebuild even if its unlikely we will seriously contend for another championship. Still too many HOF players not quite in the twilight yet.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad