OT: Official Sports Media Thread XI : It appears that WZLX 100.7 will flip to all sports

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I listened a lot today and they got a chance to grab a good sized chunk of WEEI & Sports Hub

Seems upbeat and Johnson, Girardi, and Hurley are a pretty solid group

WEEI to much of Greg and especially Chris Curtis political views worked in - they’ve let Curtis hijack show to much- Wiggy is a character but he’s completely out of touch with everything but thinks the opposite

Sports Hub should be called The Life of Fred Toucher

Will see where it goes but I am personally up for not knowing anything about who the hosts like politically or have on or incessant ass kissing (Curtis to Greg) or someone’s health or marriage issues like Fred

Unplugged with some strong Patriots knowledge and ok on rest works
Was there any music or was it all sports? Forgot to tune in.

Cohasset native Mike Monaco seems pretty accurate and smooth doing the Oilers-Canucks games. Even though hockey isn't his first sport, a Jack replacement?
Mike and Will Flemming did the Sox series on WEEI this weekend. They were great, nice to see good young announcers in the booth.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Mike and Will Flemming did the Sox series on WEEI this weekend. They were great, nice to see good young announcers in the booth.
Only music was returns and closing - skits
No music

The whispers are the Sox will move there next year and iHeart owns Fox Sports Radio

WZLX has a loyal audience but an older demographic which is fatal in 2024.
so do you think WEEI dies off ?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
L
The smart play would be to flip to classic rock
Lot of folks have disdain of WEEI for their pompous hosts who shoved their politics down listeners throats & shit all over the Bruins

Ordway was a kid from Lynn who covered North East Conference HS hockey in the 70’s at the old Lynn Arena for the local radio station- yet acted on WEEI like he was Jonas Salk.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
L

Lot of folks have disdain of WEEI for their pompous hosts who shoved their politics down listeners throats & shit all over the Bruins

Ordway was a kid from Lynn who covered North East Conference HS hockey in the 70’s at the old Lynn Arena for the local radio station- yet acted on WEEI like he was Jonas Salk.
1716241283297.png

Jason Wolfe wanted no hockey talk on WEEI

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I listened out of curiosity. Reminded me of what we've been missing on the other show the last 6 months. Rich is more positive and able to produce entertaining segments (I love the 911 bit). I don't know if this show is going to have legs (I think Ted Johnson is a dingus who will wear out his welcome soon enough), but it's at least a nice counterbalance to Fred Toucher talking over his other cohosts.

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
No music

The whispers are the Sox will move there next year and iHeart owns Fox Sports Radio

WZLX has a loyal audience but an older demographic which is fatal in 2024.
I wonder if this will improve the radio network in New England for the Sox. It seemed to have gotten smaller this year, especially in Northern New England. It was pretty seamless but they went from 93.7 in Woodstock, VT to WEEI Upper Valley 94.5 and seemed to have removed a St Johnsbury Station.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I wonder if this will improve the radio network in New England for the Sox. It seemed to have gotten smaller this year, especially in Northern New England. It was pretty seamless but they went from 93.7 in Woodstock, VT to WEEI Upper Valley 94.5 and seemed to have removed a St Johnsbury Station.
Audacy just wanted affiliates to pay through the nose for the Sox - iHeart will be more flexible. iHeart will make a run at the Celtics who are tired of being bumped by the Bruins on 98.5.

WEEI was untouchable from 1994 to 2009 and then 98.5 came along After the Bruins won the Cup in 2011 WEEI finally moved to FM but the damage was done.

NOW iHeart senses 98.5 is where WEEI was in 2009.

Audacy is in ruins since they bought CBS Radio and nobody at the former Entercom asked the simple question - Why does CBS want out of radio?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

ran out to grocery store (ok I hit DQ nearby) last night but put Sox game on

They were doing game and was great - time to retire Joe and go with these two

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Rich Shertenlieb show definitely thumbs up

A lot different then other two shows so far

Not about the hosts lives or ass kicking/politics worked in

Hurley & Giardi are actual sports guys and underrated Tom Giles will be contributing

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Time to remove the radio from my car. It's as useless as an 8-track player now.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
ran out to grocery store (ok I hit DQ nearby) last night but put Sox game on

They were doing game and was great - time to retire Joe and go with these two
Yes, they have been awesome. Sprinkle in Lou, Sean McDonnough, and Joe a few times a year and that is a strong team.

Hopefully if the Sox switch to WZLX it allows them to keep Flemming, WEEI screwed him last offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad