Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Someone made a graph that showed a drop off in NHL GP from at the top end of the draft but it started to get real steep around like 20th overall then kinda leveled off very late like 5-7.
Looking back, the Super Duper trade looks even more impressive.
Angelo Esposito- 20th overall- 124 AHL games, 0 NHL games.
Daultan Leveille- 29th overall with our 1st- 24 AHL games- 0 NHL games.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Just remember people when you think of the Pens drafting: we selected Kapanen a few spots ahead of Pastrnak lol

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
“We drafted this guy but this guy who is better was there for the taking, we suck!” is the laziest way to criticize any NHL organization. Drafts are a complete and total crapshoot. So much goes into success and failure of prospects, especially outside the first round, that it’s hard for me to get worked up about.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens simply didn't bring in young talent trading draft picks up the kazoo for 15 years. Dubas is charged with keeping the team relevant and building the prospect pool as well. The latter is now coming more into focus. With picks this year if Smith is moved for a pick and next year when Dubas will move a couple contracts for prospects and picks has to be the direction to go. Sid is key as to how long the former can be sustained.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
“We drafted this guy but this guy who is better was there for the taking, we suck!” is the laziest way to criticize any NHL organization. Drafts are a complete and total crapshoot. So much goes into success and failure of prospects, especially outside the first round, that it’s hard for me to get worked up about.
For some reason people struggle with this concept. I think it was one of the stat shot books that pointed out that if a team just picked the next best player on the publicly available central scouting list they would actually be more successful.

They literally just need to pick from a consensus list and hope for the best but teams always think they’re smarter than everyone else.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
For some reason people struggle with this concept. I think it was one of the stat shot books that pointed out that if a team just picked the next best player on the publicly available central scouting list they would actually be more successful.

They literally just need to pick from a consensus list and hope for the best but teams always think they’re smarter than everyone else.
That’s essentially how Carolina drafts and everyone praises them. They’re always snagging guys who fall a round or 3 from their projections. It’s not like they’re uncovering gems nobody else thought highly of all the time.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

One thing that always bugs me too is giving teams credit for mid or late round steals. It's great that the Penguins drafted Jake Guentzel and Kris Letang in the third round, or that the Red Wings drafted Zetterberg and Datsyuk in the 6th/7th rounds.

Guess what? If those teams had had any idea that those players would be that good they would have drafted them way earlier just to make sure they didn't lose out on them. They had absolutely no idea that those players would become what they did. None at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad