Series Talk: Rangers vs. Carolina (Game 1, Sunday May 5th @ 4pm ET, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Kakko grades out well analytically but he never scores. His linemates never score.

I champion analytics as much as anybody, but even I'll admit that it's still hockey and the object of the game is to score.

People asked me why I think Carolina has a better roster and I pointed to some spots. Like I said, next time I'll just lie.

You have people posting Vegas odds seething that we're not #1.

Cut the f***ing hubris.
you've quoted me here but you're projecting other posters onto me. i didnt say Carolinas roster wasn't better. I didn't call you out for pointing out the spots you think they're better in. Don't put that on me.

I think that your specific reason for hating on Kakko despite him leading to shutdown results and Wennberg consistently not finishing chances is unfair. Kakko is a setup guy. go watch kid line 2022 playoff highlights again - he's at his best possessing the pick and facilitating. the problems? wennberg doesn't shoot, ever. Kakko suffers when special teams happen and he can't get in a flow.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This forward group is jacked
Would be even better with Fast.
Jordan Staal is 35 and hardly the guy he used to be.

That 4th line ( Besides Noesen) isn’t really a forecheck monster.
I doubt you’ll see them dump the puck and go in and pound the D with hard body checks.
Their top 2 lines absolutely are deep and have ability to score, but so do ours.

With Pesce out, our D is better and so is shesty in net.

Cuylle/kakko/chytil/goodrow/Rempe are all Big guys. Even Wennberg
Vesey is the only guy on the smaller side, but he doesn’t shy away from contact either.
Our 3rd/4th can play a heavier more physical style that always rears its head in the playoffs

Reactions: haveandare

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This forward group is jacked

I doubt you’ll see them dump the puck and go in and pound the D with hard body checks.
Their top 2 lines absolutely are deep and have ability to score, but so do ours.

I think it could be a benefit but then again the rangers scored 4 goals against them in 3 games during the regular season.

The x-factor will be the PK. If they can limit Carolina’s PP we have a decent chance to beat them. If not, forget it. Plus we won’t be facing Raanta or Kochetkov in this series most likely. Andersen is a legitimately good goalie.
good. The rangers have a habit of making 3rd string goalies look like back to back vezina winners

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

good. The rangers have a habit of making 3rd string goalies look like back to back vezina winners

And burns will not be getting better as the series goes on.

Their team two years ago scared me more.

Chucky Lindgren was one of the hottest goalies rolling into the playoffs and we f*cked his life up. Get ‘em in on Anderson early and break his confidence.

Garden will be ROARING.

*if you play them heavy and fast, they will not be able to stand up. Need trouba, Rempe & the tough guys to be rough and as CLEAN as possible.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
And burns will not be getting better as the series goes on.

Their team two years ago scared me more.

Chucky Lindgren was one of the hottest goalies rolling into the playoffs and we f*cked his life up. Get ‘em in on Anderson early and break his confidence.

Garden will be ROARING.

*if you play them heavy and fast, they will not be able to stand up. Need trouba, Rempe & the tough guys to be rough and as CLEAN as possible.
Yea I’m not saying goon it up. But the dial in the physicality/hustle department in the playoffs is dialed up throughout the game.
Kuzy/kotka may have more talent skill, but they don’t play that physical heavy cycling/board work playoff game.
I think both our 3rd and 4th lines can be a huge mismatch if they drop Wennberg to 4C and insert Fil back at 3C…..

Our 3rd line didn’t score a lot, but Lindgren made some of his best saves of the series on Cuylle/kakko

Goodie was able to break through. They just have to keep up that intensity.
Experience in the playoffs goes a long way.

Even for the canes home games, it’s going to be littered with ranger fans like it was 2 years ago.
Not a great atmosphere for them

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Very reminiscent of the ‘Devs will destroy the earth’ comments from September.

Always fun to remember things. This series reminds me of that Devils from last year where we lost in 7 and everyone said "oh see they were much better and we were overmatched". People who watched the games without pre-conceived narratives know we lost due to our own team not showing up after Game 2 or making adjustments. Will be the same case here.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Canes having Brady Skjei as the point man on their PP1 in the year 2024 is hard to believe. Take away the E/W passing in the slot area and the Canes PP will go limp.

Can we also discuss how the Canes improved offensively by copying us, and not just by throwing 45 shots of junk at the net? Makes you think

Reactions: Rongomania

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I disagree with some of this. Their highest scoring forward had 89 points to 120 for ours.
Their second highest scorer had 77, admittedly in less games than our second highest, Trocheck, who also had 77 and who I absolutely would not trade for Guentzal.
NYR had 5 players above 70 points... CAR had 2.
Panarin has been fine, Washington "over covered" him freeing up Trocheck and he still had one point less than Guentzal, with all of his playoff potential. Tro outscored Guentzal, while doing EVERYTHING else so well at the same time. Laf has as many points as Guentzal, and has been playing a very physical game.
Fox is the best Dman in this series, offensively and defensively, if not the entire playoffs.
Shesty is the superior goalie. Period.
Mika has woken up a bit, if they key on him, that loosens things up for Panarin.
Carolina is the softest team in the East in the playoffs.

All that said: NYR in 6. I don't think Carolina is not a talented team, or will be a pushover, I just think, regardless of what the underlying stats say, they match up badly with us. As you yourself has said: a lesser version of us has beaten a better version of them... with them having home ice advantage, unlike this time around.

I would say Mika is wide awake. Leading the team with 7 points on 4 games.

94leetch

Oct 29, 2022
Let people keep gushing about Anderson, Shesty didn't have to work that hard against the Caps and has another level to his game which will tilt the series to the good guys. Unfortunately I think it goes to 7.

Reactions: haveandare

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I don’t understand people saying our defense is better. We have like one really good defenseman.
Nonono, we have one all-universe defenseman, one really good other D pair, and a much better than average 3rd pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad