RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024 Draft)

PittsburghHustlers

Jan 9, 2017
Stockholm
Parekh
Mews
Cole Hutson
What's separates Parekh from the other 2.

All 3 of them aren't great defensively
I think Parekh is better offensively and defensively than both. Hutson might be kinda close offensively but Parekh is way better defensively (which says a lot about Hutson's defensive play). I'm a big Parekh fan tho (top 5 prospect in 2024 IMO).

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I know +/- is a very contextual stat but Parekh led his team in +/- with a good margin (11). I admit to never have seen any full game with him, and the highlights do point to some of his defensive liabilities but are they overblown?

Or is the concern that if his offense does not translate to the same level in the pros's his defensive issues will stand out more?
He has the tendency to cough up pucks, his zone entries can be good or fall flat on their face and turn the puck over, he can be a bit lazy and slow getting back, especially when he pinches, and he isn't really the type of guy who defends one on one without the puck well. He also often throws the puck into people's feet and takes low percentage shots into a blocked shot. He can sometimes chase the puck a bit defensively and be out of position. Those are pretty much his defensive liabilities though, I don't think he has much to work on, but he also may not be interested in working on those things at all. Mechanically he's fine and he should be able to transition to the NHL relatively decently, though I don't know if he'll ever be good at handling guys one on one, but he has to actually buy into the system and make the changes, which is the concern.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He has the tendency to cough up pucks, his zone entries can be good or fall flat on their face and turn the puck over, he can be a bit lazy and slow getting back, especially when he pinches, and he isn't really the type of guy who defends one on one without the puck well. He also often throws the puck into people's feet and takes low percentage shots into a blocked shot. He can sometimes chase the puck a bit defensively and be out of position. Those are pretty much his defensive liabilities though, I don't think he has much to work on, but he also may not be interested in working on those things at all. Mechanically he's fine and he should be able to transition to the NHL relatively decently, though I don't know if he'll ever be good at handling guys one on one, but he has to actually buy into the system and make the changes, which is the concern.
Thing is that most of these D prospects still have a lot of development. What you are mentioning at least with the puck are low % occurrence's compared to his success at zone entries or turn overs or throwing pucks at feet .. His vision, processor and skills to complete passes are on display constantly.. do junior hockey players some time make mistakes sure.

His defensive game is definitely a work in progress.. he is not very strong physically.. but he has a really good stick and can disrupt a lot of plays.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Thing is that most of these D prospects still have a lot of development. What you are mentioning at least with the puck are low % occurrence's compared to his success at zone entries or turn overs or throwing pucks at feet .. His vision, processor and skills to complete passes are on display constantly.. do junior hockey players some time make mistakes sure.

His defensive game is definitely a work in progress.. he is not very strong physically.. but he has a really good stick and can disrupt a lot of plays.
Sure! As I said I don't think his defense is as bad as some make it out to be, but there are definitely concerns.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He looks extra lazy and disinterested at times.

Injury is probably playing some kind of role in that.
The thing is he got injured because he was getting rag dolled. And he continued to be rag dolled. In the OS series he withstood the physical pressure well and had a good series. Against SSM he did not. He folded. Same against London. He was physically overwhelmed. And he didn’t deal well with it at all. I was not impressed with him in either series. Meanwhile I think Dickinson has been tremendous. For me, it’s no contest. I like Dickinson much more having watched all the playoff games each played so far.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The thing is he got injured because he was getting rag dolled. And he continued to be rag dolled. In the OS series he withstood the physical pressure well and had a good series. Against SSM he did not. He folded. Same against London. He was physically overwhelmed. And he didn’t deal well with it at all. I was not impressed with him in either series. Meanwhile I think Dickinson has been tremendous. For me, it’s no contest. I like Dickinson much more having watched all the playoff games each played so far.

His problem is laziness. He's a good skater but he doesn't move his feet.

Needs to put himself in better positions when forecheckers come at him. Made some bad turnovers due to playing at half speed and took some hits because of it in the games I watched.

Not sure if it can be coached out of him either

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dickinson is also more physically mature and team construction matters as well.

I really like Dickinson and he is definitely the safer pick but the type of offensive ceiling and if he reaches it is just very tempting.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Parekh is better offensively and defensively than both. Hutson might be kinda close offensively but Parekh is way better defensively (which says a lot about Hutson's defensive play). I'm a big Parekh fan tho (top 5 prospect in 2024 IMO).
Don’t agree at all. Cole Hutson is pretty solid defensively other than the obvious limitations of being 5’10.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Dickinson is also more physically mature and team construction matters as well.

I really like Dickinson and he is definitely the safer pick but the type of offensive ceiling and if he reaches it is just very tempting.
If Zayne is 100% for Memorial Cup will make a huge difference offensively and on PP. l thought Lalonde played well as a backup but Oke was on top of his game and playing his best hockey in a Spirit uniform until his injury. Parekh and Dionicio will be big factors in the MC.
The two week rest will only help club to get prepared for 3 very good teams. DD and Lazary have to get team ready to compete with the CHL elite in a short tournament.
Saginaw will be on the road for redemption and Parekh will be a key for Sags chances as a Sophomore and could rise his stock in the NHL Draft with a good tourney. Can’t wait as we have been ridiculed all year from not having adequate area/arena and a team that wasn’t doing well at the start of the year etc. Adding Beck, Bloom, Donavon, Hache, Christopoulos andHay will make us very hard to beat. I hope Zayne makes some eat crow shit, l guess 96 pts for a D should give you some respect amongst your peers. Zayne is an aggressive in your face player and is an essential piece for success

Reactions: wetcoast

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
Learning to play a bigger physical games in the playoff when you're barely okay to lineup ain't ideal, he's learning.
Beating goal record ain't easy baby.
His skating dynamics against London was way subpar from what i've seen earlier, was that a leg injury?
I think Saginaw ticket selling tactics involve never say anything about Parekh trouble or if he's playing or not.

How easy it would be to make a RD/RW hybrid out of this guys? Easy or very easy?

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Learning to play a bigger physical games in the playoff when you're barely okay to lineup ain't ideal, he's learning.
Beating goal record ain't easy baby.
His skating dynamics against London was way subpar from what i've seen earlier, was that a leg injury?
I think Saginaw ticket selling tactics involve never say anything about Parekh trouble or if he's playing or not.

How easy it would be to make a RD/RW hybrid out of this guys? Easy or very easy?
I don't know why people always throw this idea out when a defenseman shows high offensive skills. Just let him play his game on the blue line.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know why people always throw this idea out when a defenseman shows high offensive skills. Just let him play his game on the blue line.
1000%. Playing offensively from the back end is much different than from the forward position. In many ways it's easier, as you can see play before you and choose the weak spots to attack, while forwards end up with their nose pressed against the glass for much of the time. Less small area skills are needed as on offensive Dman, you don't practice things like the cycle nearly as much as a forward.

They also develop a far better risk/reward sense when deciding when to pinch, and shoot from the point. I always cringe when a forward who is the last man back shoots from the blue line - it's like they have no idea what happens when a shot is blocked and there is no one behind you. If you move a Dman up, you waste many of the defensive skills/considerations(i.e.defending line rushes) like that.

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
In what way?
Not afraid to cut to the middle of the ice off the rush to generate offense/challenge defenders. Also had some bite from time to time in his own zone as well.

I will also say, in comparison, to say a player like Zev, who generates more offense from the perimeter and doesn’t engage in as much physical play, he’s more aggressive in his game.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Not afraid to cut to the middle of the ice off the rush to generate offense/challenge defenders. Also had some bite from time to time in his own zone as well.

I will also say, in comparison, to say a player like Zev, who generates more offense from the perimeter and doesn’t engage in as much physical play, he’s more aggressive in his game.
I completely disagree. I watched around 20ish of his regular season games and all 13 of his playoff games. I saw a kid who avoids contact and does so for good reason because he gets absolutely ragdolled when he doesn’t. Buium is in an entirely other league when it comes to strength and using strength to his advantage. Buium is strong, assertive and effective in physical battles. Parekh is like a peewee.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad