Not open for further replies.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Just keep TDA.
And here's his chart from last year:

image.png

He's not an $8m defender, and I don't think we would (or should) pay him anywhere close. But I think it's a bit much to write him off as TDA level scrub in his own end. Ultimately I don't think this trade happens due to his contract demands, but given the premium position I wouldn't totally rule it out as an option.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

View attachment 875594

He's not an $8m defender, and I don't think we would (or should) pay him anywhere close. But I think it's a bit much to write him off as TDA level scrub in his own end. Ultimately I don't think this trade happens due to his contract demands, but given the premium position I wouldn't totally rule it out as an option.
I wouldn't trade Necas for him. As I noted earlier, Canucks don't have the tradable roster assets to trade with the Canes

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

View attachment 875594

IMG_2897.jpeg

3 year look. Way out performing expected and not good in his own end

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
View attachment 875598
3 year look. Way out performing expected and not good in his own end

Context matters though, that's him playing 23 minutes a night on the top pair, half of that time spent being the guy to let Hughes be Hughes. Pull up Skjei's charts around the time he was acquired and they're pretty brutal. But you could see how his traits would be a good fit.

Like I said, not an $8m player but I disagree with saying he's basically TDA. Here's Tony the past the 3 years playing more sheltered minutes:

image.png

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
i think we'd be fine with skjei-tda for next year, honestly. people will say he struggled in the playoffs, but what that really means is he struggled against the president's trophy winners. he was fine against the isles, and would be fine for the regular season not having to face the best team in the league every night.

i think he re-signs at a pretty reasonable cap hit, which could help. but you keep an eye on potential upgrades at the deadline.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
i think we'd be fine with skjei-tda for next year, honestly. people will say he struggled in the playoffs, but what that really means is he struggled against the president's trophy winners. he was fine against the isles, and would be fine for the regular season not having to face the best team in the league every night.

i think he re-signs at a pretty reasonable cap hit, which could help. but you keep an eye on potential upgrades at the deadline.
1000000664.gif

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm doubtful that Hronek gets 8M per year. I get why the agents are pushing it because he had that huge start, but he did regress back to the mean along with the rest of the team. I think that a number around 7, or a number slightly under that, is realistic for him.
Agreed, that's why I think this trade doesn't happen and he eventually re-ups there. They'll negotiate the AAV down and Vancouver will reach a point where they're comfortable with the number before the Canes would. They know he plays well with Hughes, so for them a slight overpay is probably preferable to the replacement cost.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Looking through the UFA list, Kapanen really stands out. His contract should be cheap and short after a rough year. There's a tie to the organization. Prior interest in the player has been reported; we mock JR a little bit for getting his man, but this group has done some of that too (Kase and Puljujarvi). Offsets some of the speed lost with Necas, if he moves.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Looking through the UFA list, Kapanen really stands out. His contract should be cheap and short after a rough year. There's a tie to the organization. Prior interest in the player has been reported; we mock JR a little bit for getting his man, but this group has done some of that too (Kase and Puljujarvi). Offsets some of the speed lost with Necas, if he moves.
I don’t think that is the endorsement we’re looking for. Kase and puljujarvi were bad acquisitions

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I didn't say he would improve the team.

I do think there's got to be some risk for an acquisition to be given the label of bad. Kase was a cheap, 1 year deal that didn't work out because of injury. Puljujarvi was a gamble with unused cap space for a prospect that ultimately didn't get a contract offer from the acquiring team. Neither hurt the organization.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I don’t think they sign TDA as a guaranteed #6. At best he’s competing with Morrow for that spot, but I think they’d ideally like to upgrade on Morrow/TDA and let Morrow spend a year in Chicago.

TDA wants to play every night, and I think he will get that chance somewhere else.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't think I could manage Hronek. I'd be thinking wronic screws the whole time, and I can't think them without immediately channeling a song by certain Canadian songstress.

1716659119339.png

Reactions: bleedgreen

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville

He's not a bad 3rd pair guy and is basically a great 7th D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad