Senators Off-Season Discussion 2024 Mega Thread

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Rumours of Chychryn for Binnington - Binngrton has an 18 team no trade but he’s an Ontario kid and probably well connected to Brady being in St Louis so could be convinced. At Louis is the Ottawa of the West.

I’m not a big Binngron fan but the 3 years and salary is perfect t for what we are looking for. And a goalie who’s aggrieved and a leader - something we haven’t had in a long time here and Binngron gives the blue paint a feeling of fighting spirit kinda like Ray Emery so I could be convinced
Where did this rumour pop up?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
1. Top 4 RD.
2. Top six winger
3. #1 Goalie - more likely a better backup

Trade Chychrun LD for 2024 1st rd pick (draft Sennecke RW) $4.6 mil out
Trade one goalie likely Forsberg $2.735 mil out
Trade Brannstrom for a draft pick $2 mil out
Trade Joseph for a draft pick - $3 mil out
Walk: Kubalik & Katchouk - $ 3 mil out = $15 mil out

Sign UFA: Matt Roy RD ($6 mil ) & UFA Jake DeBrusk LW ($6 mil) - $12 mil in

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
DeBrusk - Stutzle - Pinto
Ostapchuk - Greig - Giroux
Imama - Kastelic - MacEwan/Kelly - $50 mil

Chabot - Roy
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic - $ 30 mil

Korpisalo - Allen - $6 mil = $86 mil
The 3rd pair on D is scary!

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think we have yet to really see how leaky this management group is in regards to trades.

Given how much silence there's been concerning most business, I would guess not very. But we'll see over the coming months.

Reactions: BigRig4

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Rumours of Chychryn for Binnington - Binngrton has an 18 team no trade but he’s an Ontario kid and probably well connected to Brady being in St Louis so could be convinced. At Louis is the Ottawa of the West.

I’m not a big Binngron fan but the 3 years and salary is perfect t for what we are looking for. And a goalie who’s aggrieved and a leader - something we haven’t had in a long time here and Binngron gives the blue paint a feeling of fighting spirit kinda like Ray Emery so I could be convinced
I'm not a fan of Binnington, but he's a legit starter...

I think it could work but we'd have to include Forsberg in the deal for cap purposes (or dump him some other way)

So...
Re-sign Pinto at 5 mil, Katchouk and Kelly at 1 mil each, trade or let Brannstrom walk
Sign Pesce or another RHD at 6 mil max
Kleven get's that last LHD spot

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson
Katchouk-Norris-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-MacEwen

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Pesce
Kleven-JBD

Binnington
Korpse.

extra: Hamonic

that comes in at 87.25 mil, but is only a 21 man roster, no 13th fwd and the bottom 6 is pretty rough (maybe Ostapchup, Crookshank, or Jarventie could steal a spot). The 3rd pair is also really green.

there's not a lot of room to "trim the fat" and upgrade either, we could maybe sign a RHD for less and perhaps get Pinto for a touch cheaper, but its not going to get you very far imo.

Seems highly unlikely given the corner it backs us into.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa

I think it could work but we'd have to include Forsberg in the deal for cap purposes (or dump him some other way)

So...
Re-sign Pinto at 5 mil, Katchouk and Kelly at 1 mil each, trade or let Brannstrom walk

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson
Katchouk-Norris-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-MacEwen

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Pesce
Kleven-JBD

Binnington
Korpse.

that comes in at 87.25 mil, but is only a 21 man roster, no 13th fwd and the bottom 6 is pretty rough (maybe Ostapchup, Crookshank, or Jarventie could steal a spot). The 3rd pair is also really green.

there's not a lot of room to "trim the fat" and upgrade either, we could maybe sign a RHD for less and perhaps get Pinto for a touch cheaper, but its not going to get you very far imo.

You're RHD will be a bidding war. Go higher aav. Katchouk will not be resigned as per reports. Binnington prob too high, I'd prefer Ulmark @ his cost and career #s. Might have to trade another guy to free up more cap.

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You're RHD will be a bidding war. Go higher aav. Katchouk will not be resigned as per reports. Binnington prob too high, I'd prefer Ulmark @ his cost and career #s. Might have to trade another guy to free up more cap.
Katchouk is more of a placeholder, any 1 mil player will do, and Pesce is just the first RHD that came to mind, it's more about filling that spot @6 mil or less not him specifically, could have been Tanev, DeMelo, Roy ect. My point was more about how we could fit in Binnington with his 6mil cap hit.

I don't think it's worth it, it sacrifices the depth.

Reactions: Duncstar

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Katchouk is more of a placeholder, any 1 mil player will do, and Pesce is just the first RHD that came to mind, it's more about filling that spot @6 mil or less not him specifically, could have been Tanev, DeMelo, Roy ect. My point was more about how we could fit in Binnington with his 6mil cap hit.

I don't think it's worth it, it sacrifices the depth.
Tanev if he wins it could be an option. It'd be a 5x3 minimum maybe 5.5. I really hope there is a Green connection here. Would love him and Toffili

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

So...

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson
Katchouk-Norris-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-MacEwen

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Pesce
Kleven-JBD

Binnington
Korpse.

Yep, in order to get a RD upgrade and another goalie, a defender (e.g., Chychrun) and one of our goalies need to go.

I would guess we won’t get a defender at less than $5.5 m/year. It might cost more to attract him to Ottawa, but I doubt its going to be less unless its a lesser RD.

The only thing we’ve heard about Pinto’s new contract is that they are looking at a contract with term and that the two sides are pretty far apart (I think that was in a Bruce article). I’d wonder about a Pinto contract coming in at a number we’d all think is a great deal.

You are right, we won’t have much money left over if we do manage to do all the above and the bottom part of our roster is going to be budget category level possibly running with less than a 22 or 23 player roster as well.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Tanev if he wins it could be an option. It'd be a 5x3 minimum maybe 5.5. I really hope there is a Green connection here. Would love him and Toffili
After they move a defender (e.g., Chychrun) and a goalie in order to sign a good RD and another goalie, plus re-sign Pinto, there won’t be enough cap left over to sign someone like Tyler Toffoli (his current $4.25 m contract has ended). The only caveat is that they sign Pinto to a bridge contract. I’d also say (imho) $5.5 m is more like the minimum for a good RD to come to Ottawa.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
After they move a defender (e.g., Chychrun) and a goalie in order to sign a good RD and another goalie, plus re-sign Pinto, there won’t be enough cap left over to sign someone like Tyler Toffoli (his current $4.25 m contract has ended). I’d say (imho) $5.5 m is more like the minimum for a good RD to come to Ottawa.
That's why it's almost paramount to move several players. Forsberg, Chychrun, Joseph; maybe Chabot, Batherson. Free up all the $$$ needed and gain draft picks to restock the prospect pool.

Trade the assets who are valued the most (Chychrun, Joseph, Batherson) while hopefully rebuilding the value on those with down years (Chabot, Norris).

Toffoli could replace Bath if he would be willing to come to Ottawa, Chychrun gets us a goalie, Grieg could replace Joseph. You'd need a good 2LW which I'd hope is Debrusk. Still might have to move Chabot just for cap reasons and filling out the RHD.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That's why it's almost paramount to move several players. Forsberg, Chychrun, Joseph; maybe Chabot, Batherson. Free up all the $$$ needed and gain draft picks to restock the prospect pool.

Trade the assets who are valued the most (Chychrun, Joseph, Batherson) while hopefully rebuilding the value on those with down years (Chabot, Norris).

Toffoli could replace Bath if he would be willing to come to Ottawa, Chychrun gets us a goalie, Grieg could replace Joseph. You'd need a good 2LW which I'd hope is Debrusk. Still might have to move Chabot just for cap reasons and filling out the RHD.
They need to focus on a RD, a goalie replacement and re-sign Pinto. Losing one of our defenders like Chychrun and one of our goalies like Forsberg is assumed and already factored into the equation to even make this possible.

As for the rest of those ideas or concepts, I don’t have many comments other than:
  • I’m trying to improve in the goals against area versus goal scoring (goals for). We were 20th overall in goals for, whereas we were 6th worst in goals against
  • that’s a lot of player movement.

Last edited:

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Binny has $7.5M contract this upcoming season but his contract lowers to $6.5M and $4.5M in the last 2 years. Cap hit $6.0M for all 3 years.Has a M-NTC with 18 team no trade list.

Is 30 years old and about six one not the biggest goaltender. Numbers are certainly better than anything we've seen in Ottawa but that doesn't say much.

I do have one issue with this guy and that's he's a head case. I like passion but I'm not sure about his kind of passion. I can't see this guy staying calm cool and collected on a deep playoff run. First we got to get to the playoffs. Very much Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, just seems like he's got a personality equivalent of cancer. I don't think the Blues are willing to trade him if he's such a great team guy and lots of positives.

Korpi + Chych + Branny + 1st Rd Pick

for

Binny + Parayko + 2nd Rd

ha,ha

"
2019-20
undefined flag
St. Louis Blues
NHL502.56.912330-13-7Playoffs54.72.85100-5-0
2020-21
undefined flag
St. Louis Blues