Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Kane & Zadorov in the handshake line:

9XKMOy.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's not like Skinner won the games himself, but after the start to the Nucks series, to be able to bounce back and win those last 2 games is a hell of an effort from him.
It's true but IMO the team basically played like every shot against them would go in. I hope that he has a quick mental break and with a clean sheet of games ahead of him he can up his game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We're going to need better out of Stu against Dallas than what he's shown against LA and Vancouver. Everything starts out with a clean slate come game 1. Here's to hoping that Stu finally plays his best in the postseason to date because we are going to need him.
He was like a .917 against LA.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's true but IMO the team basically played like every shot against them would go in. I hope that he has a quick mental break and with a clean sheet of games ahead of him he can up his game.
That's fair, that's also a hell of defensive effort. And he made the saves the team needed, it's not for nothing.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

I would take LA Stu at this point. Hopefully he has another level in his game

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He was looking solid with the light workload last 8 periods but after that Garland goal last night I wasn't feeling easy that stu was going to shut the door.

It just seems like if a puck has a chance of beating him it will

Reactions: VainGretzky

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
He was looking solid with the light workload last 8 periods but after that Garland goal last night I wasn't feeling easy that stu was going to shut the door.

The 2nd goal wasn't very good last night either. Skinner was doing the "stand up tall to see over people" move that goalies do when they are screened, but it was still pretty stoppable. He just doesn't make many saves on shots that are tough, even when he is on. But he is what he is right now, complaining about him does nothing

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I didn’t like either of the 2 goals yesterday, first goal he was completely off his angle- I understand it’s a turnover in the slot but you still gotta be square. 2nd shot went through him clean. He’s got a clean slate this series, he’s gotta at least match the opposing goalie.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The 2nd goal wasn't very good last night either. Skinner was doing the "stand up tall to see over people" move that goalies do when they are screened, but it was still pretty stoppable. He just doesn't make many saves on shots that are tough, even when he is on. But he is what he is right now, complaining about him does nothing
There was a shot in the second I believe where he tried to look over and it almost went under his pads.
But I hear ya complaining won't help

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Dude just keeps winning and winning playoff games. Can anything stop the Stu train at this point? No, the answer is no.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
He needs to have a very short leash in this next round, can’t have him stink it up like he did against Vancouver and expect to beat a far superior team like Dallas.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Thank you. This is it exactly. The team basically has to play perfect hockey and shelter skinner and I feel they know this. You will notice the team plays for example 55 minutes of good hockey and then suddenly they have a lull and skinner is no where to be found. He lets in a few and it’s game on. Happened against Vegas last year and this series this year. Once again if he’s even average they beat Vegas and probably sweep the nucks. Average was good enough for the avs 2 years ago where they dominated.

Truthfully feel a million times better with Pikard in goal. He can make a stop and knows how to absorb rebounds. But, management, coaching and many here feel skinner is the guy. Well, at least he has a short leash if he struggles again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canovin

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thank you. This is it exactly. The team basically has to play perfect hockey and shelter skinner and I feel they know this. You will notice the team plays for example 55 minutes of good hockey and then suddenly they have a lull and skinner is no where to be found. He lets in a few and it’s game on. Happened against Vegas last year and this series this year. Once again if he’s even average they beat Vegas and probably sweep the nucks. Average was good enough for the avs 2 years ago where they dominated.

Truthfully feel a million times better with Pikard in goal. He can make a stop and knows how to absorb rebounds. But, management, coaching and many here feel skinner is the guy. Well, at least he has a short leash if he struggles again.
This is a bit of an exaggeration IMO when it comes to the last 2 games and game 6 specifically.
There were a couple of big time saves by Skinner in game 6 most notably the blocker save on Hughes.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Yup honestly he does not have the reflexes for high-danger clear shots

Reactions: Frank Drebin

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This is a bit of an exaggeration IMO when it comes to the last 2 games and game 6 specifically.
There were a couple of big time saves by Skinner in game 6 most notably the blocker save on Hughes.
Oh wow, one save. That was basically the only tough save he had and they won 5-1. lol. You could have put a bag of pucks in net and they could have won. EDM sheltered the hell out of him and he didn't have to do next to anything. lol. My point is there are usually lulls in games and where there is he is awful. He needs to be better.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Oh wow, one save. That was basically the only tough save he had and they won 5-1. lol. You could have put a bag of pucks in net and they could have won. EDM sheltered the hell out of him and he didn't have to do next to anything. lol. My point is there are usually lulls in games and where there is he is awful. He needs to be better.
Again I think that you are over exaggerating a bit but thats okay.
There is a lot of hate on here for Skinner (some of it warranted) and I suspect that much of that hate will likley never go away regardless of what he does.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Oilers played the last 2 games almost flawlessly. Skinner hardly had to make any saves. The last 2 wins isn't because Skinner won us games. Like others have said, we won because we sheltered Skinner.

If we had good goaltending, we'd win last year cup and we wouldn't have lost any games in this playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Oilers played the last 2 games almost flawlessly. Skinner hardly had to make any saves. The last 2 wins isn't because Skinner won us games. Like others have said, we won because we sheltered Skinner.
I would say that the Oilers should be playing a tight defensive game regardless of who is in net.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Again I think that you are over exaggerating a bit but thats okay.
There is a lot of hate on here for Skinner (some of it warranted) and I suspect that much of that hate will likley never go away regardless of what he does.

I think Skinner would get very little hate if he actually put up respectable numbers and wasn’t the antithesis of clutch.

Oilers gave up 3 shots in the final 10 minutes of last night. 2 of them went in. Only one of them was actually a good scoring chance. Only reason the Oilers ended up winning was because they didn’t allow the Canucks another shot the rest of the way once they made it 3-2. Skinner can’t be trusted to make a single crucial save.

We are lucky going back to Skinner instead of Pickard didn’t cost the team against Vancouver. He did nothing to earn the net back and is still as unreliable as ever.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Skinner would get very little hate if he actually put up respectable numbers and wasn’t the antithesis of clutch.

Oilers gave up 3 shots in the final 10 minutes of last night. 2 of them went in. Only one of them was actually a good scoring chance. Only reason the Oilers ended up winning was because they didn’t allow the Canucks another shot the rest of the way once they made it 3-2. Skinner can’t be trusted to make a single crucial save.

We are lucky going back to Skinner instead of Pickard didn’t cost the team against Vancouver. He did nothing to earn the net back and is still as unreliable as ever.
Skinner put up very respectable numbers in the LA series. Didnt help him much on here.

Regarding the last 2 goals...I watched them over and over again. The Garland shot developed very quickly and it went right below the blocker and just above the pad. Exactly where a shooter wants to put the puck. That shot goes in most of the time regarless of the goalie. The 2nd goal was a total screen. Now an argument could be made that Skinner needs to be able to fight through those screens but that goal was more on RNH and Ekholm (he was in no mans land) IMO.
RNH followed Hughes into the corner instead of staying up high and covering the point man.
That created a massive gap which allowed the Canucks player to lean into an open shot.
Then there were also 3 players blocking Skinners view on that goal. In addition that goal also went in just above the pad and just below the blocker.
So not blaming Skinner on either goal is a fair take IMO.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
We're going to need better out of Stu against Dallas than what he's shown against LA and Vancouver. Everything starts out with a clean slate come game 1. Here's to hoping that Stu finally plays his best in the postseason to date because we are going to need him.

Ya the team was able to carry him through the first 2 rounds against teams we should beat. Now that we have an opponent of equal calibre, we need him to step up, or we’re losing regardless of if we outplay them, just like we did against Vegas last year

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Skinner put up very respectable numbers in the LA series. Didnt help him much on here.

Regarding the last 2 goals...I watched them over and over again. The Garland shot developed very quickly and it went right below the blocker and just above the pad. Exactly where a shooter wants to put the puck. That shot goes in most of the time regarless of the goalie. The 2nd goal was a total screen. Now an argument could be made that Skinner needs to be able to fight through those screens but that goal was more on RNH and Ekholm (he was in no mans land) IMO.
RNH followed Hughes into the corner instead of staying up high and covering the point man.
That created a massive gap which allowed the Canucks player to lean into an open shot.
Then there were also 3 players blocking Skinners view on that goal. In addition that goal also went in just above the pad and just below the blocker.
So not blaming Skinner on either goal is a fair take IMO.

3 shots in the final 10 minutes and 2 went in.

Yes, a defensive breakdown happened on the first goal. That’s where you need your goalie to make a save.

Skinner didn’t. He never does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad