OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
3 games in 10 days, ikr. What's that about player safety again?
Appears the Almighty Dollar trumping that shit. Thanks Rog.

It's ludicrous. Even if players are fine, they'll be exhausted by the end of it and how good is the product going to be to watch?

Great baptism of fire for a career though. You can get through that 10 day stretch, you can through any schedule the league will throw at you.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Exactly.

If they can’t handle that stretch, do we really want them in the playoffs?

I’m weary as f*** of the playoff embarrassments, and rather they just miss them in that case and get a high pick.
Tough to say. If they start slow, that's going to be a really rough decision because if they aren't good in the beginning of the season, the end of the season isn't when to make up ground.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Tough to say. If they start slow, that's going to be a really rough decision because if they aren't good in the beginning of the season, the end of the season isn't when to make up ground.

That’s the bitch of how the schedule is, but the way the schedule is laid out they shouldn’t have to make up any ground.

7 of the first 9 games look pretty winnable as we sit here today.

If they come out of that stretch with a losing record then I doubt I’ll care much about them making up any ground when the schedule gets hard.

Reactions: The Old Master

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Dulac tends to be an organizational mouthpiece, so this is an interesting column. I had thought all of this was much ado about nothing but maybe not.

Scam Heyward’s ego is bigger than his massive melon. What did he do last year that warrants a holdout? No one but Heyward gives a shit he won WPMOTY, and that’s the sole professional achievement for him in 2023.

I have no idea why this team would extend him.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Scam Heyward’s ego is bigger than his massive melon. What did he do last year that warrants a holdout? No one but Heyward gives a shit he won WPMOTY, and that’s the sole professional achievement for him in 2023.

Yep, they shouldn’t give him a $ more…$16M is tops for a defensive lineman his age in the NFL..only Donald would have been paid more if he hadn’t retired ….if they want to give him another year to spread the cap hit, fine, but no new money with his injuries and age

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Hes been an elite defensive lineman for a decade and was still solid playing on one leg last season?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I find it hard to be that emotionally connected to Heyward since the Steelers have won nothing during his tenure. That is not his fault, but that is what it would take to make me accept his demand - which is fundamentally an overpaid "thank you" retirement contract.

Reactions: JTG and Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Hes been an elite defensive lineman for a decade and was still solid playing on one leg last season?

You're making my point for me:

- He's 35 and didn't play a full season last year
- How much longer are you going to commit to a player at this point in their career?
-Why wouldn't you see how this season plays out before seeing if you want him around any longer?

Oh and please point out any significant plays that Cam has made throughout his 10+ year career. He's been a steady force, but not a game changer. Dude has been invisible during his playoff games too

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This one is too easy, so I’ll refrain from commenting:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well duh.

Hopefully he's talking the guys before Meyer, and not the guy who's got a ton of high draft capital to mold...

... tangent, but I like how they dress up Tomlin calling Okorafor "professional and accountable" as a compliment. Professional and accountable is the assistant manager of the local Chipotle, not a starting NFL tackle. Particularly one whom his last coach pretty much benched for lack of professionalism.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well duh.

I mean we all suspect this is the case (the comparative coaching) but these sour grapes comments never do much for me. There’s probably a player with a beef against every team/coaching staff.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It's pretty obvious the OL coaching and utilization has been bad. I don't think it's sour grapes at all beyond him probably feeling if he'd been used right and gotten the same level of coaching he'd be better player.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah I didn’t mean to imply it wasn’t true. Just that it’s neither a good look nor very instructive. We have plenty of evidence to suggest players get less than ideal coaching on the Steelers. I don’t need a former player with a beef to pile on.
Agreed that no one comes off looking good in this.

Except for Cole of course. He has new shoes.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I figure it's probably term, the Steelers probably want to go year to year with 1 year deals while Heyward wants more commitment.

The bit where Dulac talks about how Heyward will have to accept he's not going to get paid the same suggests its maybe money as well as term.

And possibly a hint of peevishness that Heyward is making this so public so early in the process.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
You're making my point for me:

- He's 35 and didn't play a full season last year
- How much longer are you going to commit to a player at this point in their career?
-Why wouldn't you see how this season plays out before seeing if you want him around any longer?

Oh and please point out any significant plays that Cam has made throughout his 10+ year career. He's been a steady force, but not a game changer. Dude has been invisible during his playoff games too

1. Ok and? Whos advocating signing him to a long term deal. But he has every right to want one. He done nothing but earn it.

2. The guy has been a force for a decade, legitimate all pro level DE. If thats not good enough for you, because you cant remember splashy plays, thats a you problem.

3. Your reaction to a player wanting an extension seems excessive if not outright insane.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't agree with some of the critics of the Heyward extension idea but at the same time, Heyward's past should be forgotten about except to the extent it's a guide to the future (i.e. not so much at his age). His previous service earned a record setting contract for a player of his age and position. He's already got what he's earned and what comes next is a bet on the future, nothing more and nothing less.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I find it hard to be that emotionally connected to Heyward since the Steelers have won nothing during his tenure. That is not his fault, but that is what it would take to make me accept his demand - which is fundamentally an overpaid "thank you" retirement contract.

I'm actually here also. Great player. Top 5 3-4 DE, IMO.

Well duh.

This would come across as a player who was just trying to take a parting shot, but from what I have seen, he may not be incorrect. If he explodes in NE after what Dotson did in LA, we have to figure out the OL coaching situation because they cannot afford to f*** this up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad