HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I’m not sure why so many here seem hellbent on trading our 5th overall pick for small and/or soft players that will require a ton of assets to acquire. We aren’t competing next year (unless it’s as a fringe playoff team), keep stockpiling assets.

No mas to Necas, Zegras or any other “Ass” out there. Spending too much on Ass always comes back to bite you in the end.

Draft Lindstrom or Iginla with that pick, and try to grab another forward with size and talent with the other first rounder - maybe a guy like Liam Greentree, who I think will be a solid goal scoring winger. His skating needs some work but he’s got great hockey IQ, and an incredible set of hands which make up for a lot of deficiencies.

Clear the book of some veteran contracts this year - Savard, Armia, Dvorak, Matheson (potentially), and Carey Price’s LTIR contract could and should be cleared on or before the deadline. Stockpile the assets that will be obtained.

At the 2025 draft/UFA frenzy make your big moves at this point. Sign some UFAs, use some assets to acquire a star. We are one short season away to finally having the financial ability to sign some big players, while having the framework in place for a long term contending team. Stay the course.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I’m not sure why so many here seem hellbent on trading our 5th overall pick for small and/or soft players that will require a ton of assets to acquire. We aren’t competing next year (unless it’s as a fringe playoff team), keep stockpiling assets.

No mas to Necas, Zegras or any other “Ass” out there. Spending too much on Ass always comes back to bite you in the end.

Draft Lindstrom or Iginla with that pick, and try to grab another forward with size and talent with the other first rounder - maybe a guy like Liam Greentree, who I think will be a solid goal scoring winger. His skating needs some work but he’s got great hockey IQ, and an incredible set of hands which make up for a lot of deficiencies.

Clear the book of some veteran contracts this year - Savard, Armia, Dvorak, Matheson (potentially), and Carey Price’s LTIR contract could and should be cleared on or before the deadline. Stockpile the assets that will be obtained.

At the 2025 draft/UFA frenzy make your big moves at this point. Sign some UFAs, use some assets to acquire a star. We are one short season away to finally having the financial ability to sign some big players, while having the framework in place for a long term contending team. Stay the course.

I don’t think it’s about wanting to trade the pick as much as it’s getting the most out
If it. If Demidov and Lindstrom are gone, the following 5-10 players are all kind of at the same level, maybe including Lindstrom as well. So if you’re not getting who you think will be an impact, top tier prospect who will still take a few years to step into the role, why not be open to the idea of trading it for someone who ticks those boxes right now? Maybe not Zegras or Necas but another player who hasn’t been mentioned in trade rumours or not commonly known to be available is out there and a deal can be made to improve the club for this year.

I love drafts as much as the next guy but it’s always been a crap shoot and getting a player who fits your core and already shown he’s on the right path to getting Habs back to the promised land is good enough for me.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I don’t think it’s about wanting to trade the pick as much as it’s getting the most out
If it. If Demidov and Lindstrom are gone, the following 5-10 players are all kind of at the same level, maybe including Lindstrom as well. So if you’re not getting who you think will be an impact, top tier prospect who will still take a few years to step into the role, why not be open to the idea of trading it for someone who ticks those boxes right now? Maybe not Zegras or Necas but another player who hasn’t been mentioned in trade rumours or not commonly known to be available is out there and a deal can be made to improve the club for this year.

I love drafts as much as the next guy but it’s always been a crap shoot and getting a player who fits your core and already shown he’s on the right path to getting Habs back to the promised land is good enough for me.
Then you don’t trade the pick per say , though you use the pick to drop down for a few spots as you would have many teams that would love to get a d that was expected to go 2-3 available there . And there is many teams in 6-10 slot that can use that imposing dmen, especially Utah at 6 that surely would like to get their franchise d and any other team that want to leapfrog them

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Then you don’t trade the pick per say , though you use the pick to drop down for a few spots as you would have many teams that would love to get a d that was expected to go 2-3 available there . And there is many teams in 6-10 slot that can use that imposing dmen, especially Utah at 6 that surely would like to get their franchise d and any other team that want to leapfrog them
Exactly how i see it. That would probably happen for Dickinson or Silayev for example.

Though i don't think Utah would be a trading partner in that case, a team behind them would make sense a lot of sense.

If Ottawa is willing to part with their other 1st (25OA) to jump from 7OA to 5OA, to leapfrog Utah, that would be the best case scenario for us as Iginla would probably still be available at 7OA. Though i think paying a 25OA to jump 2 spots is bit rich so we would probably have to give a 3rd round to balance it out. Would still do it.

The other one is Calagry at 9OA. They would have to give us the 28OA. But we would take a big risk of losing Iginla at that spot. Sennecke would still be available though.

Then with the 26OA + 25/28OA, you can trade up in the range from 12OA to 15OA and get another solid player (i would hope for Yakemchuk, MBN or maybe even Sennecke) or simply use the 2 picks in a Dach/Newhook kinda trade.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
That’s an option. But that’s probably the least attractive option. Now you’re giving up the choice of who to pick ans well as likely having less odds of them being better than players drafted ahead of them and no further along on IF they’ll pan out to be who you hoped you drafted and still have to wait several years to see.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Would be sick if we could sign Stamkos to a 3 years x 7.5 M contract

Next season:
Stamkos - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Dach - Newhook
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Gallagher

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

Next season:
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson
Absolutely. Him or Marchessault on a 3 years deal would be insane for Habs fans. I'm all for it but i know i'm in the minority here.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That’s an option. But that’s probably the least attractive option. Now you’re giving up the choice of who to pick ans well as likely having less odds of them being better than players drafted ahead of them and no further along on IF they’ll pan out to be who you hoped you drafted and still have to wait several years to see.

Only way I consider trading down is if both Demidov and Iggy are off the board at 5. In that case, my targets would be one of Catton, Lindstrom, Sennecke, Eiserman.... in the 7-10 range.

No offense to the D in this draft, I just see many top 4D's. Not sure shot top pairing quality. Maybe 1 or 2 of them reach it from this D group.

I can see the Sens taking a D. I'm sure Staios would love to get his hands on one of those D. Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, Pinto, Batherson all still young. Assets on D are Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun and they have taken a shit kicking with team D over the years.

Next season:
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson

Problem with this is our D ready for prime time playoff hockey? Honestly, I don't see Stamkos leaving Tampa. If he leaves, someone offers him more than $7.5M.

3 years would be Stamkos from age 34/35 to 36/37. I think this would be our Giroux signing the Sens made and doesn't turn the needle because the D is not ready

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Only way I consider trading down is if both Demidov and Iggy are off the board at 5. In that case, my targets would be one of Catton, Lindstrom, Sennecke, Eiserman.... in the 7-10 range.

No offense to the D in this draft, I just see many top 4D's. Not sure shot top pairing quality. Maybe 1 or 2 of them reach it from this D group.

I can see the Sens taking a D. I'm sure Staios would love to get his hands on one of those D. Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, Pinto, Batherson all still young. Assets on D are Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun and they have taken a shit kicking with team D over the years.

Problem with this is our D ready for prime time playoff hockey? Honestly, I don't see Stamkos leaving Tampa. If he leaves, someone offers him more than $7.5M.

3 years would be Stamkos from age 34/35 to 36/37. I think this would be our Giroux signing the Sens made and doesn't turn the needle because the D is not ready
Ottawa should be really high on Silayev. They need solid D and they will probably trade Chychrun this summer. They need to leapfrog Utah to get him.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

Next season:
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson

Adding Stamkos is sexy, but useless. Team is not ready to take that next step, too many question marks. Also, I would prefer that we keep the cap space and aim at guys like Rantanen or Draisailt. eck... even Crosby!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ottawa should be really high on Silayev. They need solid D and they will probably trade Chychrun this summer. They need to leapfrog Utah to get him.

I can see this as a real possibility... depending on who is taken 1-4. Handshake deal that the Sens don't take Iggy and I'd take my chances Utah doesn't either.

We get the Bruins pick from the Sens to move down 2 to 7? At that point, I'd try anything I could to get another pick from 10-13 range. Would Jets 1st, Bruins 1st, and Mesar do it?

Imagine walking away with both Iggy and Eiserman? Those are two of my targets for a while now.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I can see this as a real possibility... depending on who is taken 1-4. Handshake deal that the Sens don't take Iggy and I'd take my chances Utah doesn't either.

We get the Bruins pick from the Sens to move down 2 to 7? At that point, I'd try anything I could to get another pick from 10-13 range. Would Jets 1st, Bruins 1st, and Mesar do it?

Imagine walking away with both Iggy and Eiserman? Those are two of my targets for a while now.
I think Philly at 12OA and SJ at 14OA are two possibilities

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Philly at 12OA and SJ at 14OA are two possibilities

I think Hughes will dig into multiple options. No doubt in my mind he is after quality and walking away with two pieces at this stage of our rebuild (Suzuki 25 and Reinbacher 20 next year) is ideal. Either he adds another Dach/Newhook (players close to Suzuki age) or he tries to get two hits from this draft.

That would put the range from Suzuki to the guys in this next draft at 7/8 years. If you look at how Tampa won, that was their max range from Stamkos/Hedman to Point/Sergachev.

Not like we still don't focus on more draft power to come (after this draft) but if we are building a growing core that can contend, Suzuki to this next draft is very important in age span. The draft power from 2025 drafts+ can be used in multiple ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad