TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
BPM suspends Martin Lemay indefinitely.

Of note, BPM owns the broadcasting rights to CF Mtl games …

Meantime, Reggie Tremblay can spew whatever he wants at the same station without consequences.

Whaaaat? The Saputos are involved in mob activities? /pikachuface

What's next, someone in the media mentioning the Rizzutos and Guzzos might have some skeletons in the closet?

• Haha
Reactions: Leto

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t like Martin, but he didn’t say nothing wrong re the Saputos. Go read some good articles written in 2020.

Born from a first generation Italian-Canadian mother, raised in Ahuntsic.
That stuff has been well documented, usually on investigative reporting type shows, like this one from 2020:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a sports show allude to it, which made this particular incident stand out. The fact of the station holding the CF’s broadcasting rights and Lemay’s suspension can’t be easily dissociated.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can’t think of anything, even fictional or reality-show based (aka fiction lol), that delivers as much drama year over year, than the CF.

The front office lunacy is gold and there is always some kind of media fallout or domino effect. Thanks Joey, keep flexing — I’m loving it.

• Haha
Reactions: jaffy27 and Kosseca

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
DLC, FWIW, is saying that the CF did contact BPM ownership but made no demands. They apparently only voiced their displeasure over Lemay’s comment.

Assuming this is true, the mere fact of the CF calling, even if they hadn’t said anything, is more than enough of a message for the lowly BPM to do something to not jeopardize its revenue stream.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
DLC, FWIW, is saying that the CF did contact BPM ownership but made no demands. They apparently only voiced their displeasure over Lemay’s comment.

Assuming this is true, the mere fact of the CF calling, even if they hadn’t said anything, is more than enough of a message for the lowly BPM to do something to not jeopardize its revenue stream.
I would think the the front office of the Limp Act would have bigger fish to fry :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

neutrality of media is dead....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
neutrality of media is dead....
Corporate sponsorships, ad revenue and broadcast revenue streams were always the dog that wags the media’s tail.

Media outlets can’t afford to bite the hand that feeds them. In the era of social media, it has only become more transparent.

Worst conflict of interest is where a sports media outlet owns the broadcast rights to any pro team’s games — we already know that said media station’s employees will not call out the pro team as emphatically when they deserve it and more often then not, will go on propaganda mode.

In prior years, when the media landscape was not as consolidated, you had competing media stations with no pro team affiliation, come out guns ablazing and call a spade a spade. It was raw, blowhard radio but at least it had the merit of being far more honest than the pablum we’re being fed now.

Reactions: Chili and Kosseca

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Now it makes sense why they fired Olivier Renard, they needed the money to pay the phone bill in order to make this call.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Laraque is becoming annoying with his constant gloating about his son, how big he is for his age, how he’d destroy anyone who would fight with him, how he’d be a first rounder if he’d commit to play in the WHL, bla, bla, bla.

I get it, everyone’s proud of their kids but that’s not what listeners expect from the city’s no. 1 sports radio station. Every other day for the past 2 months now, Laraque can’t help himself with stories about his son and a load of bragging that comes with them. Enough already, leave the kid alone.

And then there’s the pseudo-segment about trading cards, that involves interviewing an employee at a card store owned by Laraque.

Good thing he’s just a clown who is using the station to promo his personal interests. The guy can’t even properly enunciate which is particularly laborious and haunting when he’s a pitchman for advertisers. Gonzo once mentioned the endless retakes for Laraque to say just one word properly and he just can’t do it.

Like Marinaro suggested to him this aft, don’t talk about your son on air. Let others do it. Not a Marinaro fan but he got it right.

Reactions: Kimota

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's back on Monday but walking to the station from now on.

0CzhXuM.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kimota

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Laraque is becoming annoying with his constant gloating about his son, how big he is for his age, how he’d destroy anyone who would fight with him, how he’d be a first rounder if he’d commit to play in the WHL, bla, bla, bla.

I get it, everyone’s proud of their kids but that’s not what listeners expect from the city’s no. 1 sports radio station. Every other day for the past 2 months now, Laraque can’t help himself with stories about his son and a load of bragging that comes with them. Enough already, leave the kid alone.

And then there’s the pseudo-segment about trading cards, that involves interviewing an employee at a card store owned by Laraque.

Good thing he’s just a clown who is using the station to promo his personal interests. The guy can’t even properly enunciate which is particularly laborious and haunting when he’s a pitchman for advertisers. Gonzo once mentioned the endless retakes for Laraque to say just one word properly and he just can’t do it.

Like Marinaro suggested to him this aft, don’t talk about your son on air. Let others do it. Not a Marinaro fan but he got it right.

I like Gonzo and Laraque together. Good radio show.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I like Gonzo and Laraque together. Good radio show.
They are the most entertaining sports hosts on local radio.

Lots of banter and a ton of Hab talk, never taking themselves too seriously and having built a great rapport with their listeners, they’re constantly interacting with them and organizing meet ups.

They don’t have the same level of quality guests as Melnick, however, their show comes on 2 hours before Melnick’s show so, they’re mostly competing with Milquetoast vs Garden Gnome and the latter are pushovers.

I’m seeing Marinaro get on as a replacement host now and again. He seems to be well liked by BPM listeners. I’m guessing he’ll eventually get his own show on BPM. For now, he appears weekdays with Gonzo and Laraque for what looks like 15 mins segments.

The station is not without irritants. Some of Laraque’s antics are annoying, the crusty zealot Louis from Ville Mercier calls every show and the windbag sucks dead wombats — I’m forced to tune away whenever he’s on.

Some of the station’s ads have the stench of politics, which is something I would prefer not to have to listen to on an all sports station. And I don’t need to be schooled by the likes of Ben Roger and his politics — he is OK most of the time but someone should tell him to keep his political obsessions to himself.

I guess if you listen to any station long enough, something is bound to be an irritant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad