Series Talk: WCF: Dallas Stars vs Edmonton Oilers (EDM Leads 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Dallas Stars in 4

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Dallas Stars in 5

Votes: 211 23.8%
  • Dallas Stars in 6

Votes: 259 29.3%
  • Dallas Stars in 7

Votes: 45 5.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 4

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 5

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 6

Votes: 160 18.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 7

Votes: 128 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
images.png

Who y'all got?!

Dallas Stars (1C) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

Western Conference Final

Game 1: Oilers at Stars -- May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2: Oilers at Stars -- May 25, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3: Stars at Oilers -- May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4: Stars at Oilers -- May 29, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ Game 5: Oilers at Stars -- May 31, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 6: Stars at Oilers -- June 2, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 7: Oilers at Stars -- June 4, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sports2 and Tofveve

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
GOHLDfCW0AAhtXJ.jpg

The top 4 names make a combined ~$30M for 81 playoff points in 12 games played. Imagine not being the obvious frontrunner for the SC with this bunch (and rightfully so, probably), with everyone picking different teams. How bad must your management group have been?

For the third year in a row, the Oilers will play against the deepest team of the NHL on their path to the SCF -- will they be able to prevail this time?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
On paper, their roster these playoffs is stronger than the one from last year.

Because of injuries.

Of course you can. If the Caps who barely made the playoffs somehow added McDavid, Crosby, Heiskanen, Makar to their game 1 roster they are a stronger team despite what the regular season record was.

A regular season roster can differ from a playoff roster.
agree to disagree. moving on

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Switching back and forth between playoffs and regular season to pad your argument. Dallas had a top 10 PP/PK in the regular season. So they're better.

Dallas has been less penalized than the Oilers too.
Drawn far less penalties, too.

Since the coaching change Edmonton's PK is better than Dallas' and the powerplay has been better all year long.

Edmonton owns the best PP and PK in the playoffs. It's silly in the extreme to say that Edmonton isn't better at anything than the Stars.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
My head says Dallas. My heart says Edmonton.

Voted Edmonton in 5 because I can't be wrong every single time, can I?

Reactions: Kerberos

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
Drawn far less penalties, too.

Since the coaching change Edmonton's PK is better than Dallas' and the powerplay has been better all year long.

Edmonton owns the best PP and PK in the playoffs. It's silly in the extreme to say that Edmonton isn't better at anything than the Stars.
I never said they weren't, they have the high end talent and yes PP. Other than that, it's all Dallas.

What I said was, you can't pick apart the Stars team (ok maybe I'll give you the PK, but I don't think it's as big of an issue as you). You CAN however pick apart the flaws of the Oilers' team, and there are plenty.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
He’s been average most playoffs while allowing the occasional stinker from my viewings, and I’ve seen most every game this playoffs. That’s how I’ve viewed it.
Otter has been fantastic most of these playoffs. Not sure what you’ve been seeing but he is one of our top candidates for the Conn Smythe at the moment.

One bad game a series, or a couple softies throughout the series is not abnormal.

Reactions: LT

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just like Bouchard is the greatest blueliner ever surpassing Orr...I hope with chosen children of the hockey God (Bouchard, McD and Drai) allow mere mortals like the Stars players near the ice rink and their presence.
You are the Ryan McLeod of posters. An absolutely vapid existence of a person.

Anyway, I think Dallas wins but if the Oilers do somehow win this series will the Stars get decried as a weak opponent too?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I never said they weren't, they have the high end talent and yes PP. Other than that, it's all Dallas.

What I said was, you can't pick apart the Stars team (ok maybe I'll give you the PK, but I don't think it's as big of an issue as you). You CAN however pick apart the flaws of the Oilers' team, and there are plenty.
Haven't you heard? Edmonton is nothing but powerplay merchants. It's absolutely an issue if you can't stop the Oilers powerplay. The Canucks figured it out briefly but it was too little too late.

Dallas is a very good team, and Edmonton does have flaws. But what Edmonton is good at, they're very, very good at. (deleted stat from busted NST went here) Is their goaltending spotty - yes, absolutely - but I think their flaws are overblown. Should be a great series.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
some of the comments people are making glazing the dallas stars is diabolical work, especially considering they're not even coming from the stars fanbase
with this series the only ones who will be louder than the stars fans will be the oilers haters. and thats ok with me lol

You are the Ryan McLeod of posters. An absolutely vapid existence of a person.

Anyway, I think Dallas wins but if the Oilers do somehow win this series will the Stars get decried as a weak opponent too?
if the stars fans need excuses they can borrow one of the thousand that the canucks fans used. im sure there are some left over

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
with this series the only ones who will be louder than the stars fans will be the oilers haters. and thats ok with me lol

if the stars fans need excuses they can borrow one of the thousand that the canucks fans used. im sure there are some left over
It's funny that the Dallas fanbase is nice and respectful and every other fanbase comes flying in like the "UHM ACHSUALLY" guy.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I have no doubt Pavelski will show up this series. He’s going to have more time and space against the Oilers D. Vegas absolutely suffocated Pavelski in the first round against Dallas and Colorado contained him well.
Oilers were better defensively this season than either of Colorado or Vegas.

All this talk that the Oilers can’t defend. Somehow they managed to be a top 10 team in the league in GA. And that’s in spite of shaky goaltending all season.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Otter has been fantastic most of these playoffs. Not sure what you’ve been seeing but he is one of our top candidates for the Conn Smythe at the moment.

One bad game a series, or a couple softies throughout the series is not abnormal.
jokes on the stars then, skinner let all his bad goals in throughout the first 2 rounds there isnt any bad goals left

Bjornar Moxnes

From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Those Calgary teams didn't have anywhere near the depth that Dallas currently does, and it's not even particularly close.

Dallas is a nightmare matchup for any team in the league.. let alone one with the depth issues that Edmonton has.
Oh of course Dallas depth is by far the strongest and I do think the Stars will take it in 6 games. But I also could easily see McDrai and Bouchard all going supernova and helping them win in 7 especially if Ottinger has a performance like 2023 playoffs (AKa shitting the bed).

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
In order for the Oilers to come out of this series…
  • goaltending needs to be better (let’s aim for average)
  • 97 needs to be better (hope he was just sick and not injured)
  • Draisaitl and Bouchard need to continue doing what they’re doing
  • the rest of the top 6 need to step up a bit more - they’ve been good but not outstanding. You need outstanding moving forward
  • bottom 6 need to be much better
  • PP need to get back to normal and be way better than Games 5-7… needs to get pucks to the net.
Stars only played 5.2 Dmen in that last series, for games 1-5 Lundkvist (their 6th D) was only playing about 5 minutes per game. In game 6, they took out Lundkvist in favor of Edmonton boy, Oiler castaway, Alex Petrovic, who played 16 out of 91 minutes.

Stars PK 69.2% (11th/16 in these playoffs)… there are some holes in their armour.

The Oilers need to be very physical with the Dallas smaller and less physical D (compared to the Canucks D) and try to wear them down.

Reactions: K1984

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
It's funny that the Dallas fanbase is nice and respectful and every other fanbase comes flying in like the "UHM ACHSUALLY" guy.
thats why we only take what dallas fans are saying seriously, every other team either didnt even make the playoffs or just got steamrolled by the oilers and their points arent valid.

Bjornar Moxnes

From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Love the optimism lol.

Stars cons:
- running 5 d
- oettenger has let in softies all playoffs

Their depth isn’t what has been impressive, it’s been the team commitment. They need to continue to do whatever it takes to disrupt and block shots. After a couple long playoff series it gets harder to maintain that commitment. You’re being a little to dismissive of the threats Edmonton poses imo.
Stars also don't have the starpower (lol) that Oilers do. McDrai and Bouchard are the 3 best players on both teams (Heiskanen's better defensive play doesn't match Bouchard's elite offensive play this playoffs). I do think the Stars do have much better depth and goaltending giving them the advantage, but McDrai and Bouchard's play could absolutely help take the series in 7 for the Oilers.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Dallas is a very good team, and Edmonton does have flaws. But what Edmonton is good at, they're very, very good at. They have nearly double the amount of 5v5 goals for than the next best team. Is their goaltending spotty - yes, absolutely - but I think their flaws are overblown. Should be a great series.

Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad