Series Talk: WCF: Dallas Stars vs Edmonton Oilers (EDM Leads 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Dallas Stars in 4

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Dallas Stars in 5

Votes: 211 23.8%
  • Dallas Stars in 6

Votes: 259 29.3%
  • Dallas Stars in 7

Votes: 45 5.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 4

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 5

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 6

Votes: 160 18.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 7

Votes: 128 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
images.png

Who y'all got?!

Dallas Stars (1C) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

Western Conference Final

Game 1: Oilers at Stars -- May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2: Oilers at Stars -- May 25, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3: Stars at Oilers -- May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4: Stars at Oilers -- May 29, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ Game 5: Oilers at Stars -- May 31, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 6: Stars at Oilers -- June 2, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 7: Oilers at Stars -- June 4, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sports2 and Tofveve

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Oilers struggle against certain play styles. I think Dallas plays the exact type of game the Oilers want to play. Oilers are beatable when teams stack their bluelines and collapse on net. Oh and when teams can kill penalties.

I think the Stars goaltending is pretty mid. If they want to get into a scoring battle with McDavid and the Oilers good luck

That's exactly what Dallas is so good at, clogging the neutral zone to force low risk zone entries and clearing the slot so Oettinger has clear sight lines on shots. This has been readily apparent the last two rounds. Vegas and Colorado fans both complained about their teams looking like they weren't trying hard enough, but it was because Dallas took away almost every single easy play and forced their opponents to be perfect on zone entries and offensive zone set-ups in order to generate offense.

I don't know what to tell you if you think Dallas goaltending isn't superior to Edmonton's. There's absolutely no logical reason to think that based on these playoffs so far or longer histories from seasons ago. For the last 25 games or so, Oetting has been elite, a top 5 goalie in the league. He's had a few poor games, but that's just the nature of the position.

There is no world where a coach would prefer Skinner in net compared to Oettinger right now. Anything you think Edmonton scorers can take advantage of goaltending wise, Dallas can do likewise and probably even moreso.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That's exactly what Dallas is so good at, clogging the neutral zone to force low risk zone entries and clearing the slot so Oettinger has clear sight lines on shots. This has been readily apparent the last two rounds. Vegas and Colorado fans both complained about their teams looking like they weren't trying hard enough, but it was because Dallas took away almost every single easy play and forced their opponents to be perfect on zone entries and offensive zone set-ups in order to generate offense.

I don't know what to tell you if you think Dallas goaltending isn't superior to Edmonton's. There's absolutely no logical reason to think that based on these playoffs so far or longer histories from seasons ago. For the last 25 games or so, Oetting has been elite, a top 5 goalie in the league. He's had a few poor games, but that's just the nature of the position.

There is no world where a coach would prefer Skinner in net compared to Oettinger right now. Anything you think Edmonton scorers can take advantage of goaltending wise, Dallas can do likewise and probably even moreso.
LA was good at clogging the neutral zone too.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think the Oilers can compete well with any team in the league right now in a 7 game series because of how they are playing defensively but my biggest worry is Skinner unless the Oilers can continue only giving up 5 or 6 shots a period. If he is awful in game one I hope they change it up quick for game two. I never expected Skinner to be great in the playoffs (or anytime) but he has been even worse then my lowest expectations. I am hoping he can at least give the Oilers some kind of consistent, average goaltending going forward.

Reactions: PuckG

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think the Oilers can compete well with any team in the league right now in a 7 game series because of how they are playing defensively but my biggest worry is Skinner unless the Oilers can continue only giving up 5 or 6 shots a period. If he is awful in game one I hope they change it up quick for game two. I never expected Skinner to be great in the playoffs (or anytime) but he has been even worse then my lowest expectations. I am hoping he can at least give the Oilers some kind of consistent, average goaltending going forward.
one thing that Knoblauch is better at than Woodcroft was is making adjustments game to game.

He's willing to go to Pickard if Skinner is struggling, willing to sit a Cup winner in Perry for not performing, willing to play Ekholm big minutes even if it hurts Nurse's feelings, willing to bench McLeod for making a bad turnover that led to a goal.

This is going to be a tough series for Edmonton, but I really don't think it'll be a walk at all.

Reactions: PuckG

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
one thing that Knoblauch is better at than Woodcroft was is making adjustments game to game.

He's willing to go to Pickard if Skinner is struggling, willing to sit a Cup winner in Perry for not performing, willing to play Ekholm big minutes even if it hurts Nurse's feelings, willing to bench McLeod for making a bad turnover that led to a goal.

This is going to be a tough series for Edmonton, but I really don't think it'll be a walk at all.
And DeBoer will do all those same things…to Nils Lundkvist only to limit his ice time. 🤣

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Honest question. I keep seeing Dallas fans with this ‘we deserve it’ slogan. I assume it is the Stanley Cup that fans feel they deserve. Where does this come from? And why do Dallas fans feel their team or their fans deserve a Cup?

Because. We. Do.

Also it's honestly just really fun to lean into the over-the-top obnoxiousness of it. And why wouldn't any fan of a team who finished in a top spot feel like they deserve it? lol

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
I love how everyone knows how this series ends before the first game is played. I wished, I had your crystal gem (even though there seem to be several different versions available). I expect a close series and since I'm rooting for the Oilers I voted EDM in 7. Crossing fingers! We'll find out.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
I love how everyone knows how this series ends before the first game is played. I wished, I had your crystal gem (even though there seem to be several different versions available). I expect a close series and since I'm rooting for the Oilers I voted EDM in 7. Crossing fingers! We'll find out.
I remember how I thought that the San Jose were going to steamroll Pittsburgh because of the roster, their size, etc. Didn't work that way. Let's see after game 1 or 2 then revisit....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: roryjones

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I think some people may be discounting the effect the Oilers special teams may have on this series..

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Dallas in 6 but hopefully the Oilers steal one of the first 2 in Dallas to make it exciting.

Stars have had a tough tough path to the cup, Vegas, COL, EDM and whoever they get in finals.

Reactions: roryjones

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And what earth are you on that your goalie is any good? Vegas has much better goaltending than Edmonton.

Care to elaborate? Where is the bad match up?
Did I say our goalie is good? Nope. You may want to re-read it if that's what you took from what I said. I said Vegas' goalie stole a good portion of the series against Edmonton last year, and he hasn't been nearly as good this year. Vegas is getting overrated because they're 20M over the salary cap. They wouldn't have been an easy out, but they wouldn't have walked over Edmonton like you are suggesting either.

Oilers played well but Vancouver shit the bed. Don't see that happening with Dallas.

Personally I had Dallas, Vegas, and Colorado as the west favorites before playoffs (Did not expect them to end up in WC2). Dallas beating both is very impressive.
Every time the Oilers beat someone, you Flames fans sit back and say the other team shit the bed. Maybe they were just dominated by Edmonton in game 6 and 7. Maybe they were lucky to get two of the wins they got. As far as 7 game series go, it was pretty lopsided.

Reactions: ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad