Series Talk: WCF: Dallas Stars vs Edmonton Oilers (EDM Leads 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Dallas Stars in 4

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Dallas Stars in 5

Votes: 211 23.8%
  • Dallas Stars in 6

Votes: 259 29.3%
  • Dallas Stars in 7

Votes: 45 5.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 4

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 5

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 6

Votes: 160 18.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 7

Votes: 128 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
images.png

Who y'all got?!

Dallas Stars (1C) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

Western Conference Final

Game 1: Oilers at Stars -- May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2: Oilers at Stars -- May 25, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3: Stars at Oilers -- May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4: Stars at Oilers -- May 29, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ Game 5: Oilers at Stars -- May 31, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 6: Stars at Oilers -- June 2, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 7: Oilers at Stars -- June 4, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sports2 and Tofveve

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Did I say our goalie is good? Nope. You may want to re-read it if that's what you took from what I said. I said Vegas' goalie stole a good portion of the series against Edmonton last year, and he hasn't been nearly as good this year. Vegas is getting overrated because they're 20M over the salary cap. They wouldn't have been an easy out, but they wouldn't have walked over Edmonton like you are suggesting either.

Every time the Oilers beat someone, you Flames fans sit back and say the other team shit the bed. Maybe they were just dominated by Edmonton in game 6 and 7. Maybe they were lucky to get two of the wins they got. As far as 7 game series go, it was pretty lopsided.

I had Oilers winning that series beforehand. Vancouver was just worse than I expected

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
That's exactly what Dallas is so good at, clogging the neutral zone to force low risk zone entries and clearing the slot so Oettinger has clear sight lines on shots. This has been readily apparent the last two rounds. Vegas and Colorado fans both complained about their teams looking like they weren't trying hard enough, but it was because Dallas took away almost every single easy play and forced their opponents to be perfect on zone entries and offensive zone set-ups in order to generate offense.

I don't know what to tell you if you think Dallas goaltending isn't superior to Edmonton's. There's absolutely no logical reason to think that based on these playoffs so far or longer histories from seasons ago. For the last 25 games or so, Oetting has been elite, a top 5 goalie in the league. He's had a few poor games, but that's just the nature of the position.

There is no world where a coach would prefer Skinner in net compared to Oettinger right now. Anything you think Edmonton scorers can take advantage of goaltending wise, Dallas can do likewise and probably even moreso.

I'm not suggesting a coach takes the Oilers goaltending. I am just not convinced the goaltending is going to stop the offensive players on the Oilers and I don't think it is debatable the Oilers offense is light years ahead of the Stars.

I think the mistake people are making is assuming the Avs and Oilers are the same. Because they were able to suffocate the Avs, it means just do the same thing and Oilers are done. They don't play similar at all.

First of all, the Avs and Oilers breakout are vastly different. The Avs have MacKinnon, the Oilers have McDavid and Draisatl in that tier. Offensively speaking, Bouchard and Makar are not that far apart.

I think the Oilers are like the Avs but better offensively. Enough so that between systemic and personnel differences, the Stars are going to think status quo gets it done and by the time they adjust will be chasing the series by IMO a few games. And when the Stars are forced to push the pace of play, the Oilers will counter attack better than anyone left in the postseason

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
It's the Langenbrunners and Lehtinens that stifle us in the end, along with Derian Hatcher the human backpack.
I remember Hatcher taking out 6 front teeth from Selanne with a high stick at the WC. Crazy that I could not remember which team won the Cup last year.

My wife tells me which guys are good looking from either team and I get upset with her because Draisatl is the only correct answer. Am I wrong here?
That sour puss German is not good looking.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm not suggesting a coach takes the Oilers goaltending. I am just not convinced the goaltending is going to stop the offensive players on the Oilers and I don't think it is debatable the Oilers offense is light years ahead of the Stars.

I think the mistake people are making is assuming the Avs and Oilers are the same. Because they were able to suffocate the Avs, it means just do the same thing and Oilers are done. They don't play similar at all.

First of all, the Avs and Oilers breakout are vastly different. The Avs have MacKinnon, the Oilers have McDavid and Draisatl in that tier. Offensively speaking, Bouchard and Makar are not that far apart.

I think the Oilers are like the Avs but better offensively. Enough so that between systemic and personnel differences, the Stars are going to think status quo gets it done and by the time they adjust will be chasing the series by IMO a few games. And when the Stars are forced to push the pace of play, the Oilers will counter attack better than anyone left in the postseason
Offensive output is the only comparable between Makar and Bouchard, very different players otherwise.
Dallas should find the Oilers easier to play against compared to Vegas and Colorado both.

It's just McDavid magic that might get Oilers through to finals.

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
Expecting Dallas to take this one without much drama

Great opportunity for the winner because I expect the east to be a bloodbath

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Goaltending at this stage matters when both teams have plenty of great forwards and D. Unless Oettinger craps himself Dallas wins the series.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Yeah Edmonton isn't as deep as Dallas (no one maybe is)

Oilers depth though is pretty underrated

This is not a two man show like so many on here believe lol

Your current bottom 6 (including Perry as the 13th forward) has a combined 2 goals and 8 points.

• Love
Reactions: Coffey and LT

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I can't believe conventional wisdom is against Mcd Drai and Bouch. These players can win a series. Old man Benn will be yelling at lots of clouds.
Benn isn't really who you should be worried about. His other linesmates, Johnston and Stankoven are pretty darn good kids. But that's just the 3rd line.

If Roope Hintz comes back soon, that line with Robertson/Pavelski is pretty potent. Duchesne is filling in quite fine though.

Which let's Seguin/Marchment/dadonov roll ok.

On defense, they are pretty good too. And Oettinger is easily one of the best goalies in the league.

I'm a sharks fan who follows a lot of teams for fantasy purposes, and I like Dallas in 5 or 6 here.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Now do the top 2 lines and our 1st pair dmen

The discussion is about depth. Not worried about a team that relies heavily on 2-3 forwards and have zero depth. Stars proved it's not an issue last round.

Not saying it will be a cake walk, I see it going 6 games but the depth is weak and that was the point I was trying to understand when the poster said it was "underrated".

Reactions: roryjones

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Stars in 5, maybe 4 depending on Skinners mood. Unlike the Canucks and Kings, Stars will actually generate high danger chances
Unlike Canucks and Kings, Dallas has a healthy number 1 goalie that will give Edmonton fits. I will be entertained to see how cross eye will defend when he faces more offensive attacks from Dallas

• Haha
Reactions: Higgens

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The discussion is about depth. Not worried about a team that relies heavily on 2-3 forwards and have zero depth. Stars proved it's not an issue last round.

Not saying it will be a cake walk, I see it going 6 games but the depth is weak and that was the point I was trying to understand when the poster said it was "underrated".
I don't think you can really say a team with Kane, Nugent-Hopkins, Hyman and Henrique can really be called a team with 2 forwards. If your point is that we are top heavy, I agree, we are, because we have the best two players left in the playoffs. If you want to write off everyone else, well...I hope the Stars do the same.

Stars one of the top 3 teams..And they just beat the other two.
Stars in five.
Vegas is getting so overrated here. They barely squeaked into the playoffs. Let's nit act like they are the 80s Oilers here.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

My original post here is the Oilers' top lines have to outproduce the Stars top lines because the Stars have a big advantage with the 3rd and 4th lines, Oilers have an advantage on special teams. I can see this going 7 games

Reactions: Czechboy

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Skinner scares me, man. If edm isn’t basically sheltering him, the second they have a lull he gets lit up. Happened against Vegas last year and then against the nucks. They sweep that series if he’s not downright brutal in games 1 and 3. A .792 and .733 save percentage in both games and it’s not like he stood on his head. Most of the goals against him were so weak. One game was even only 20 shots. And that’s fine if he makes those key saves but he doesn’t. Game 7 against vs vancouver they cut it go 3-2 and luckily didn’t have to face another shot. But those 7 minutes was the lull and he almost blew it again. Lol.

He needs to be the X factor and take that next step when his team truly needs it. Bottom 6 hasn’t been great either and will need to be better. If now was ever the time for edm and their players to step up it’s now or Dallas will make quick work of them.

Reactions: generationalfan

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I don't think you can really say a team with Kane, Nugent-Hopkins, Hyman and Henrique can really be called a team with 2 forwards. If your point is that we are top heavy, I agree, we are, because we have the best two players left in the playoffs. If you want to write off everyone else, well...I hope the Stars do the same.

Vegas is getting so overrated here. They barely squeaked into the playoffs. Let's nit act like they are the 80s Oilers here.
Truthfully the Avs are a shell of their cup run as well 2 years ago. They lost all their depth from that run and got some of it back this season but you could see it. They aren’t the same team. Shut down mackinnon, stop their pp and that’s it. Dallas easily disposed of them. Edm is similar to Colorado but I do think they will put up a better fight if skinner can hold the fort somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad