Series Talk: WCF: Dallas Stars vs Edmonton Oilers (EDM Leads 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Dallas Stars in 4

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Dallas Stars in 5

Votes: 211 23.8%
  • Dallas Stars in 6

Votes: 259 29.3%
  • Dallas Stars in 7

Votes: 45 5.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 4

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 5

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 6

Votes: 160 18.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 7

Votes: 128 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
images.png

Who y'all got?!

Dallas Stars (1C) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

Western Conference Final

Game 1: Oilers at Stars -- May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2: Oilers at Stars -- May 25, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3: Stars at Oilers -- May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4: Stars at Oilers -- May 29, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ Game 5: Oilers at Stars -- May 31, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 6: Stars at Oilers -- June 2, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 7: Oilers at Stars -- June 4, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sports2 and Tofveve

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
My original post here is the Oilers' top lines have to outproduce the Stars top lines because the Stars have a big advantage with the 3rd and 4th lines, Oilers have an advantage on special teams. I can see this going 7 games
It definitely can go 7 games. If your top guns continue to dominant I can see it. I just think their numbers as well as your special teams numbers are a bit inflated due to the opponents you guys had in the first two rounds.

Stars had a top 10 PK and PP all year. In the overall picture I wouldn’t say EDM has the advantage there either.

Regardless it should be a good series and I don’t see it being a quick series like most outsiders have been saying.

Reactions: VainGretzky

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It definitely can go 7 games. If your top guns continue to dominant I can see it. I just think their numbers as well as your special teams numbers are a bit inflated due to the opponents you guys had in the first two rounds.

Stars had a top 10 PK and PP all year. In the overall picture I wouldn’t say EDM has the advantage there either.

Regardless it should be a good series and I don’t see it being a quick series like most outsiders have been saying.
Kings were 2nd for PK and 11th for PP this year.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

To be fair, the Kings had the second best kill in the entire league and EDM ate them up. The Canes were the best in the regular season and they were middle of the pack these playoffs. EDM's PP also went cold in the last handful of games against Vancouver so we will see. Every series is a different animal.

Reactions: iCanada and MBTendy

Ray Mercer

Oct 3, 2018
I would like to see the Oilers win but I think they're in for a beating. They have played much inferior teams than Dallas has. Edmonton's only chance is to dive like crazy and hope for a ton of power plays to keep them in it. I think this is one of the more predictable series so far in the playoffs. Dallas in 5.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I really hope the Stars are overlooking the Oilers as much as Hfboards is, will make it an interesting series.

Anti-biotics for strep throat is going to zap the energy out of the Oilers. I’ve heard about fighters in the UFC fighting with sicknesses instead of taking their anti-biotics for that reason but might be bro science.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
To be fair, the Kings had the second best kill in the entire league and EDM ate them up. The Canes were the best in the regular season and they were middle of the pack these playoffs. EDM's PP also went cold in the last handful of games against Vancouver so we will see. Every series is a different animal.
and that’s why it’s NHL playoffs over any other playoffs. You just never know

Reactions: Coffey

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers are the kind of underdog you bet on

I do have to give the edge to the Stars because of the goalie matchup. With the Oilers' defensive structure I don't think the depth or D advantage will be massively substantial. Getting Henrique back helps there too. But, if your goalie is better than the other guy, that's massive. Even there though, goaltending is a weird position, where all Skinner needs to do is get hot like Hill and Kuemper did. Pickard is a decent fall back.

McDavid has been quiet, and so it's a smart bet he finds himself. Also, although the Oilers are the low seed here, Knoblauch's Oilers were the best regular season team in the league since he took over. Again though, I do give the Stars the edge still, as it's cherry picking to erase our awful part of the season. It still happened, and the seeds of that club are still there, and it shows in our awful lapses

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The discussion is about depth. Not worried about a team that relies heavily on 2-3 forwards and have zero depth. Stars proved it's not an issue last round.

Not saying it will be a cake walk, I see it going 6 games but the depth is weak and that was the point I was trying to understand when the poster said it was "underrated".
The reality is though that it tends to be the top guys who win series. Depth helps but if there is a big advantage for one team in the top two lines over the other that will tend to be a real difference maker. Dallas has very good top end talent so the Oilers best players will have to really play well for them to win.

People suggested that Vegas beat the Oilers because of their depth. But in fact, it was the Eichel/Marchessault line that won the series.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Benn isn't really who you should be worried about. His other linesmates, Johnston and Stankoven are pretty darn good kids. But that's just the 3rd line.

If Roope Hintz comes back soon, that line with Robertson/Pavelski is pretty potent. Duchesne is filling in quite fine though.

Which let's Seguin/Marchment/dadonov roll ok.

On defense, they are pretty good too. And Oettinger is easily one of the best goalies in the league.

I'm a sharks fan who follows a lot of teams for fantasy purposes, and I like Dallas in 5 or 6 here.
Johnston is second out of Stars forwards in 5v5 icetime. Not sure how that is the third line?

Yeah Dallas's third line is better than the Oilers, but the Oilers first line has 10 5v5 goals and the Dallas first line of Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski has 3.

Does the third line advantage automatically trump a huge first line advantage the other way?

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I don't think you can really say a team with Kane, Nugent-Hopkins, Hyman and Henrique can really be called a team with 2 forwards. If your point is that we are top heavy, I agree, we are, because we have the best two players left in the playoffs. If you want to write off everyone else, well...I hope the Stars do the same.

Vegas is getting so overrated here. They barely squeaked into the playoffs. Let's nit act like they are the 80s Oilers here.
Panthers squeaked in the year before and went to the finals. Blues in 2019. won Cup.
If you want to base a teams worth on point total of regular season hockey ....be my guest.
Most of us know better.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I think Dallas wins in 5. :(

That team is absolutely the best in west. I wouldn't say the Oilers have 0 chance of winning but everything I know about the Stars suggests to me that they'll probably be the western conference champs.

Reactions: Towers

Thomas Tatar

Because. We. Do.

Also it's honestly just really fun to lean into the over-the-top obnoxiousness of it. And why wouldn't any fan of a team who finished in a top spot feel like they deserve it? lol
Well shit, what are we even doing here? Pack it in boys, some internet fans have worked really hard to get here. Just give the Stars the Cup already.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

The Kings and Canucks were 2 of the top 3 teams in the west defensively this season.

Numbers inflated due to opponents lol.

Its the Stars who haven't played a team as good defensively as Edmonton yet.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Oetingers .918 vs Skinners .881 is going to keep me up at night.lol

Skinner can be good too though. I'm not sure Skinner's strengths and how it stacks up against the Stars' offensive strategies.

McDavid/Drai/Bouchard could easily figure out Otter--he's been very human this season. I think it falls more on the Stars' top-4 D to limit high-danger chances, especially with those three on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad