GM search thread - all news and discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Every time I think about this hiring provess it makes me anxious that the man leading the gm search is the same guy who thinks HHOF players & Hitchcocks opinions on Babcock are good and sufficient research on the subject. So disgustingly ignorant and narrow-minded.

Imagine how the GM search will go if JD has a candidate he likes. He'll be asking all the old boys club members who love 90s Red Wings how good of a GM Holland is. Really should have beed fired with Jarmo.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Every time I think about this hiring provess it makes me anxious that the man leading the gm search is the same guy who thinks HHOF players & Hitchcocks opinions on Babcock are good and sufficient research on the subject. So disgustingly ignorant and narrow-minded.

Imagine how the GM search will go if JD has a candidate he likes. He'll be asking all the old boys club members who love 90s Red Wings how good of a GM Holland is. Really should have beed fired with Jarmo.
I therefore recommend no longer thinking about it, if it's bothering you that much.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Could this search please end soon so at least the belly aching is about a known event and not just some fictional idea that seems to be reality to some of you? It has become such a challenge to read these boards I think I'll just take a break myself until there is actual news. Y'all are ridiculous sometimes.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Could this search please end soon so at least the belly aching is about a known event and not just some fictional idea that seems to be reality to some of you? It has become such a challenge to read these boards I think I'll just take a break myself until there is actual news. Y'all are ridiculous sometimes.
Fair, but also I'd be disappointed if the board was just dead for 2 months because speculation and fanfictions are disallowed

I therefore recommend no longer thinking about it, if it's bothering you that much.
Nah, it was an exaggeration. Just couldnt find better words for it. Basically I am haunted by Babs, let's just leave it at that.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
If you've been here long enough, you know this board will not be dead for 2 months. Just a shift in our concerns, shortcomings and wild speculations based on unfound fears of the unknown.
Yeah I didnt mean the board is currently dead in any way. My point was just that the specualtions, fictional trades and colorful takes are what keep the board active during the slow periods. And I think that's a good thing even though it can get repetitive and boring.

Been writing unclearly lately, so that's my bad. Felt like Viqsi threw a virtual tomato at me when my initial comment on JD turned out a bit over dramatic, lol

Reactions: Xoggz22

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Have we been looking at the wrong Hunter?

Hunter got her start with the Chicago Blackhawks in 2016, being hired in the hockey operations department. From there, she would start getting promoted quickly. In 2020, she was given the title of Dir. of Hockey Administration and was also a scout. She would hold those positions until 2022.

In 2022 Hunter was again promoted. This time to Asst. General Manager under GM Kyle Davidson. Some of the job responsibilities include managing the Hawks’ salary cap space, managing the hockey operations budget, daily operations, executing contracts, team security, player services, scouting, roster construction, and daily player transactions. She's also the principal contact between the team and NHL HQ. Hunter also looks over the salary cap, compliance, and works closely with the coaching staff and the player development staff.

However I do believe that we'll end up grabbing someone who has been an NHL GM before.

If we don't, there are a few interesting options.

Reactions: Monk and Viqsi

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Reactions: CBJx614

Frostybrew

May 20, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I’d be pleased if Darche is hired as GM and he brings Pushor along with him as Assistant GM or Director of Player Development. Nash can stay at Director of Player Development or move to Assistant GM depending on which position is given to Pushor.

Reactions: CBJx614

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just hire the entire family. Mark Hunter for President, her as the GM, Dale as the Head Coach :sarcasm:
1716293076021.png
1716293120604.png

1716293169323.png

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I've been very anti Holland. His bottom 6 forward crew in Edmonton makes me ill as I want them to win the Cup this year. That being said, I'll make a case FOR him:

1) The Oilers were 4th in goals scored and 10th in GA. If one takes out the games prior to the coaching change, it's probably better than that. Those are very nice stats.

2) He took decisive action earlier this season when the Oilers were reeling. The Oilers were tied at the bottom of the league standings with the dreadful Sharks and the coaching change was made. It's highly likely that the Oilers season would be over by now had he not made this aggressive move. He gets high marks for acting as early in the season as he did.

3) His trade for Ekholm and the development of Bouchard gives the Oilers two grade A defensemen. He left Bouchard in the AHL after he was hired midseason after Chiarelli was fired. The Nurse contract is way too rich, but Nurse is a useful defensman whose role has been reduced with the development of Bouchard and the Ekholm acquisition.

4) He signed Hyman. Now I am of the mind the Hyman's stats are almost completely a function of McDavid and Draisatl, but the fact remains that he's produced at a very high level and brings a physical presence, an ability to "get lost" near the goal to score easy goals and is a very good forechecker.

5) He struck out on the signing of goalie Campbell, but regular season Stuart Skinner has been adequate. Calvin Pickard-signed by Holland-has been a very good back up and may have saved the season with his play in games 4 and 5 of the just completed series vs. Vancouver.

6) He picked up Evander Kane for nothing. He signed him to a mid term, mid money deal. Kane is a solid 20 goals scorer and brings a very nice physical presence.

7) He picked up Henrique at the TDL. Henrique has been injured, but he was a very sound pick up for secondary playoff scoring.

8) Cap/no cap.....he had a stellar record as GM of the Wings for a lot of his tenure.

9) He is well connected throughout the NHL. That's a positive in most cases.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been very anti Holland. His bottom 6 forward crew in Edmonton makes me ill as I want them to win the Cup this year. That being said, I'll make a case FOR him:

1) The Oilers were 4th in goals scored and 10th in GA. If one takes out the games prior to the coaching change, it's probably better than that. Those are very nice stats.

2) He took decisive action earlier this season when the Oilers were reeling. The Oilers were tied at the bottom of the league standings with the dreadful Sharks and the coaching change was made. It's highly likely that the Oilers season would be over by now had he not made this aggressive move. He gets high marks for acting as early in the season as he did.

3) His trade for Ekholm and the development of Bouchard gives the Oilers two grade A defensemen. He left Bouchard in the AHL after he was hired midseason after Chiarelli was fired. The Nurse contract is way too rich, but Nurse is a useful defensman whose role has been reduced with the development of Bouchard and the Ekholm acquisition.

4) He signed Hyman. Now I am of the mind the Hyman's stats are almost completely a function of McDavid and Draisatl, but the fact remains that he's produced at a very high level and brings a physical presence, an ability to "get lost" near the goal to score easy goals and is a very good forechecker.

5) He struck out on the signing of goalie Campbell, but regular season Stuart Skinner has been adequate. Calvin Pickard-signed by Holland-has been a very good back up and may have saved the season with his play in games 4 and 5 of the just completed series vs. Vancouver.

6) He picked up Evander Kane for nothing. He signed him to a mid term, mid money deal. Kane is a solid 20 goals scorer and brings a very nice physical presence.

7) He picked up Henrique at the TDL. Henrique has been injured, but he was a very sound pick up for secondary playoff scoring.

8) Cap/no cap.....he had a stellar record as GM of the Wings for a lot of his tenure.

9) He is well connected throughout the NHL. That's a positive in most cases.

Hyman doesn't score as much without McDavid but what's relevant here is actually how much McDavid's winger would score if it was someone other than Hyman. IIRC, prior to Hyman, the most any of McDavid's wingers had scored was 27 goals by Pat Maroon one year. Hyman doubled that. That's one of the greatest UFA signings of all time.

The Campbell signing is terrible, I'm not convinced that Holland knows his way with goalies. FWIW he tried to sign Jacob Markstrom, but he wouldn't go to Edmonton. The Oilers might have a cup by now if they had Markstrom instead.

Reactions: Viqsi

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Hyman doesn't score as much without McDavid but what's relevant here is actually how much McDavid's winger would score if it was someone other than Hyman. IIRC, prior to Hyman, the most any of McDavid's wingers had scored was 27 goals by Pat Maroon one year. Hyman doubled that. That's one of the greatest UFA signings of all time.

A large percentage of his goals are from 5 feet or less. I give him credit, but this season was the outlier from hell. Still hold that McDavid is fueling the Hyman engine and not vice versa. In any case, a good signing-no doubt.

How many goals do you think Hyman would have had this season on the CBJ? I say around 20-with PP time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

A large percentage of his goals are from 5 feet or less. I give him credit, but this season was the outlier from hell. Still hold that McDavid is fueling the Hyman engine and not vice versa. In any case, a good signing-no doubt.

How many goals do you think Hyman would have had this season on the CBJ? I say around 20-with PP time.

You're still talking about irrelevant things.

When you have McDavid the question is "who can I sign that will fit the best with McDavid?"

It's about the gap between Hyman and what other players have done with that same opportunity (an enormous gap).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You're still talking about irrelevant things.

When you have McDavid the question is "who can I sign that will fit the best with McDavid?"

It's about the gap between Hyman and what other players have done with that same opportunity (an enormous gap).
Nah. Hyman was in the right place at the right time. McDavid's goal total this season went down to 32 from 64 the season before-HALF of what it was. McDavid actually over uses Hyman now, IMO. He's taking way too long to shoot because he's obsessively looking pass first-and not only to Hyman. It's hurting his 5 v 5 play tremendously.

Once again, I ask you how many goals would Hyman have had on the CBJ this past season. Duck it if you want, but it's a relevant question. Hyman was a 40 points scorer on a loaded Leafs team. Justin Danforth would score 40 with McDavid and that PP.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nah. Hyman was in the right place at the right time. McDavid's goal total this season went down to 32 from 64 the season before-HALF of what it was. McDavid actually over uses Hyman now, IMO. He's taking way too long to shoot because he's obsessively looking pass first-and not only to Hyman. It's hurting his 5 v 5 play tremendously.

McDavid never scored close to 60 before that year so I'm not sure if he can switch that on.

I don't think having Hyman as the main finisher hurts the line, McDavid was on for 90 GF 5v5 this year, which is 9 better than his previous career best. They seem to be doing well!

Once again, I ask you how many goals would Hyman have had on the CBJ this past season. Duck it if you want, but it's a relevant question. Hyman was a 40 points scorer on a loaded Leafs team. Justin Danforth would score 40 with McDavid and that PP.

Maybe Hyman would score 25 here. I don't know.

But do you understand why that is an irrelevant question as far as evaluating his value to the Oilers? Or irrelevant for evaluating Holland?

When Ken Holland signed Hyman I'm sure he was asking "how valuable is this guy going to be for my team?" Not "how valuable would this guy be to the Blue Jackets?"

Reactions: domi28
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad