Player Discussion William Nylander

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nylander is definately a frustrating player.

On one hand he finds a way to score in big moments. On the other, he just seems to not care to come back and play in his own end sometimes.

Like I said, I don't really think it was Marner's fault. He was clearly looking at Lindholm and once Pasta picked up speed he was never going to catch him.

Just a well executed play by Bos thst probably works only half thectime
Of the core 4 it just seems William is the most rebel. He is more likely the one that thinks, “I’ve go to be me, I’ve got to be me.” So I wouldn’t be surprised if he just ignored Keefe and did what he does best. Too bad the others weren’t similar.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I think I've seen the "Nylander at centre" experiment enough times by now to make me believe it would never work as a viable long term solution.

We paid this guy $11.5M to be a 90-100 point winger. There isn't another 2C in the league making $11M. If the Leafs put Nylander and Matthews on the same line, and trade Marner while eventually replacing Tavares, they will rebalance the forward lines with a traditional setup and can use the rest to put towards defense and goaltending.

Whether that happens this year or next year is up to Marner and Tavares but it will happen eventually is my guess.
Leafs have an 11M 2nd line C! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: saffronleaf

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think his defensive deficiencies are more attitude than actual skills. He's strong on his skates, strips puck well, good passer and we he wants he can use his strength & skating to win puck battles.

And I could see all of them having lower points in the reg season if they are tasked to play a tighter game.
I think his 'defensive deficiencies' are more a factor of playing with JT. When he's played with others his game and his numbers are better.

Reactions: Kazparov

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think I've seen the "Nylander at centre" experiment enough times by now to make me believe it would never work as a viable long term solution.

We paid this guy $11.5M to be a 90-100 point winger. There isn't another 2C in the league making $11M. If the Leafs put Nylander and Matthews on the same line, and trade Marner while eventually replacing Tavares, they will rebalance the forward lines with a traditional setup and can use the rest to put towards defense and goaltending.

Whether that happens this year or next year is up to Marner and Tavares but it will happen eventually is my guess.
Ignoring the fact that we are somewhat stuck in a cycle of overpaying (thanks, Dubas), the idea of two top centres isn't unusual - Edmonton and Pittsburgh being the first two that come to mind.

But yes, $11M for a 2C is ridiculous, especially six years ago - can you imagine any GM being that stupid?

• Haha
Reactions: Kazparov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad