Player Discussion: Winnipeg Jets Defense

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
was thinking given all the talks about the Jets' Defensive turnover with Demelo and Dillon as UFAs, or buy-outs..... how much the 2019 offseason may be given the Jets flashbacks. with Myers and Chiarot as UFA and the Trouba trade, the Jets were pretty ill-prepared for replacements. then add the Buff fiasco on top of that.

maybe the Jets would like to keep some of that continuity and go hard at re-signing both Demelo & Dillon :dunno:? and avoid being a position where you're basically rebuilding your top-4.
Re-upping Dillon works, provided that one of Pionk and Schmidt is shipped out. I don't think the cap numbers allow us to keep him without dumping someone with a high cap hit. It's also not the worst decision in its own right, although Dillon screams overpayment to me.

DeMelo is the one you overpay without second thought. That much should be clear.

Reactions: Heldig

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Re-upping Dillon works, provided that one of Pionk and Schmidt is shipped out. I don't think the cap numbers allow us to keep him without dumping someone with a high cap hit. It's also not the worst decision in its own right, although Dillon screams overpayment to me.

DeMelo is the one you overpay without second thought. That much should be clear.
EvolvingHockey - who are usually pretty close - have him at 2*2.45m, Demelo 4*4.8m.

I think they're a tad high on demelo and tad low on dillon. Would have to see how that fits for next year.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
was thinking given all the talks about the Jets' Defensive turnover with Demelo and Dillon as UFAs, or buy-out of Schmidt..... how much the 2019 offseason may be given the Jets flashbacks. with Myers and Chiarot as UFA and the Trouba trade, the Jets were pretty ill-prepared for replacements. then add the Buff fiasco on top of that.

maybe the Jets would like to keep some of that continuity and go hard at re-signing both Demelo & Dillon :dunno:? and avoid being a position where you're basically rebuilding your top-4.
Buff was the killer ... losing him was one of the reasons the Jets over paid for Pionk and Schmidt plus the pandemic season didn't help playing in the Canadian division making Pionk look good.
Jets need a top 4 RHD (Trade or FA) for sure if they can't and they resign Demelo and Dillon for bigger contracts nothing will change.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
EvolvingHockey - who are usually pretty close - have him at 2*2.45m, Demelo 4*4.8m.

I think they're a tad high on demelo and tad low on dillon. Would have to see how that fits for next year.
"Tad low" on Dillon should be a gross understatement, as we've seen a nunber of #7Ds get 3x3 on July 1st in recent years. I find it pretty difficult to imagine Dillon taking a pay cut. As for Dylan, that number could be pretty close.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
"Tad low" on Dillon should be a gross understatement, as we've seen a nunber of #7Ds get 3x3 on July 1st in recent years. I find it pretty difficult to imagine Dillon taking a pay cut. As for Dylan, that number could be pretty close.
2.45m vs 3m, idk how that is a gross understatement but ok.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't think 3 is enough. I see him getting closer to 4. Was a little unclear on that.
Agreed. Dillon can easily get $4M x 3 on open market. At his age, it might be best to move on, but he's not easily replaced. DeMelo is likely $4.5M for 4-5 years or a bit more with less term.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
At the start of next year:

Morrissey- 29 yo
DeMelo (R)- 31 yo, UFA
Pionk (R)- 29 yo, 1 yr UFA
Dillon- 33 yo (34 in Nov), UFA
Schimdt- 33 yo, 1 yr UFA
Samberg- 25 yo, 1 yr RFA
Stanley- 26 yo, RFA

Heinola- 23 yo, RFA
Salomonsson (R)- 20 yo

I’d like the Jets to:

- resign DeMelo to 3-4 yr contract @ $4M aav
- buyout Schimdt
- let Dillon walk (age, more so than performance)
- trade for a 24-28 yo top 4 dman, with some contract term, using Ehlers and prospect(s)
- add another dman in FA, and
- draft 1-2 dmen (early) in the upcoming draft, preferably a RH and LH d. Someone early like Elick or EJ Emery.

Morrissey-DeMelo/Trade
Samberg-Trade/DeMelo
FA-Heinola-Pionk (for one more yr max)
Stanley (if resigns)

Salomonsson hopefully replaces Pionk on 3rd pairing after a year with Moose. Draft pick(s) ideally replace DeMelo and FA in 3+ yrs.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Offseason I'd like to see the Jets re-sign De Melo but also trade Nik for a top pairing d-man. Maybe replace Dillon with a guy like Forbort who is good on the PK, has some size, comes cheap and short term, and someone who might actually sign here, as he has before.

Morrissey-D2
Samberg-De Melo (shut down)
Forbort/Heinola-Pionk
Lundmark as #8.

Reactions: Dale53130

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad