10 years. Time is up Shanahan.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Clutch in a series they lost? Sure, I'm the one with rose colored glasses though.

Do you think they should have given Dion the Conn Smyth for his 'underrated' performance in that series too?

Yes, Kessel was clutch...he's the main reason the Leafs took the 4-1 lead with 10 minutes left in the game...he had a goal and an assist, and was a plus 1...Kessel has weapons that Marner does not, speed to burn and a lethal shot, in addition to an underrated ability to pass the puck.

Here are Kessels playoff stats the 2 years the Penguins won the Cup. Many also thought he was robbed by the media for the Conn Smythe one of the years. One could only dream that Marner could even come close to these numbers.

GP G A PTS
24 10 12 22
25 8 15 23

Even in the 7 game series against the Bruins, Kessel's numbers were respectable:

GP G A PTS
7 4 2 6

Last edited:
Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes, Kessel was clutch...he's the main reason the Leafs took the 4-1 lead with 10 minutes left in the game...he had a goal and an assist, and was a plus 1...Kessel has weapons that Marner does not, speed to burn and a lethal shot, in addition to an underrated ability to pass the puck.

Here are Kessels playoff stats the 2 years the Penguins won the Cup. Many also thought he was robbed by the media for the Conn Smyth one of the years. One could only dream that Marner could even come close to these numbers.

GP G A PTS
24 10 12 22
25 8 15 23

Even in the 7 game series against the Bruins, Kessel's numbers were respectable:

GP G A PTS
7 4 2 6
Kadri and Kessel were great in that series IMO. Unfortunately Frattin missed the chance to make it 5-1 and the rest is well, the rest.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
So trade him for a some lesser talent that likely never played in the playoffs?

Better yet trade him for a David Clarkson type player that looked good for a playoff run and half a season.

I remember all this fake media driven whining about how Kessel could never help anyone win. How'd that work out.
Definitely agree about the Kessel similarity. People are emotional and say outlandish things like 'addition by subtraction'.. 'he's completely inneffective'... 'he can't play playoff hockey'..
Kessel should have a conn Smythe and no doubt Marner could go on to have the same playoff career.

Oh and I'm leaning towards moving on from Marner too but some people would just ship him for picks and think we could spend 11m better by just waving our wand in free agency. If you can't get a package that makes our weaknesses significantly stronger you keep him and swallow your medicine.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Definitely agree about the Kessel similarity. People are emotional and say outlandish things like 'addition by subtraction'.. 'he's completely inneffective'... 'he can't play playoff hockey'..
Kessel should have a conn Smythe and no doubt Marner could go on to have the same playoff career.

Oh and I'm leaning towards moving on from Marner too but some people would just ship him for picks and think we could spend 11m better by just waving our wand in free agency. If you can't get a package that makes our weaknesses significantly stronger you keep him and swallow your medicine.
thinking thinking..........nah

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You could fill a book with all the idiocy that's been posted. The overly immature are easy to ignore though.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024

Here are Kessels playoff stats the 2 years the Penguins won the Cup. Many also thought he was robbed by the media for the Conn Smythe one of the years. One could only dream that Marner could even come close to these numbers.

GP G A PTS
24 10 12 22
25 8 15 23

GP G A PTS
7 4 2 6
A cute stat line during an historic choke?

Samsonov had good numbers in the Boston series this year so I suppose that means he's 'clutch'.

Do you want to resign him?

Kessel was so clutch never leading this team so much as a playoff birth without it being a shorten season. Clutch....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad