Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 05.22.2024)

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Why do I feel like, with most of these things, if Guhle were a Rangers' prospect/young player and Kakko/Othmann were with Montreal, that we'd be seeing trades suggestions of Guhle for Kakko/Othmann because Guhle "gets caved in/is meh" and Kakko/Othmann "still have potential" and RW is a need for the Rangers...
Maybe you’re projecting. I don’t think Guhle is meh. I’d love to get him. And I even suggested overpaying (IMO) for Guhle. The fact is I’m a fan of all three of these players. IMO Kakko is the best of the three, and Guhle is second. Leaving Othmann for third. I don’t see how that’s just unreasonable homerism.

Montreal's pick right now is 5th OA...
Good point. Still don’t know that I’d do the trade though… I’m a bit less opposed.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Maybe you’re projecting. I don’t think Guhle is meh. I’d love to get him. And I even suggested overpaying (IMO) for Guhle. The fact is I’m a fan of all three of these players. IMO Kakko is the best of the three, and Guhle is second. Leaving Othmann for third. I don’t see how that’s just unreasonable homerism.

Good point. Still don’t know that I’d do the trade though… I’m a bit less opposed.
Nah, not projecting, just stating the obvious of many undervaluing what they have in house (because of familiarity/ability to pick apart deficiencies.) and overvaluing others that aren't under the same microscope. Note, and I should have said this in my original post, but I don't think you fall under that umbrella. Your posts are well reasoned, and I was riffing off you essentially saying Kakko for Guhle +small add is more in-line with actual value than Kakko+Othmann for Guhle which is where I'm referencing for my og point.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Nah, not projecting, just stating the obvious of many undervaluing what they have in house (because of familiarity/ability to pick apart deficiencies.) and overvaluing others that aren't under the same microscope. Note, and I should have said this in my original post, but I don't think you fall under that umbrella. Your posts are well reasoned, and I was riffing off you essentially saying Kakko for Guhle +small add is more in-line with actual value than Kakko+Othmann for Guhle which is where I'm referencing for my og point.
Fair enough, bud.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Oshawa got crushed in game 6, 8-1. No points for Roobroeck.

After winning the first 3 games of the series, they have lost the last 3. They lost game 4 in OT and game 5 in double OT.

Game 7 is tomorrow night in Oshawa. The winner of the Oshawa/North Bay series will play London for the OHL championship and a spot in the Memorial Cup.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Oshawa got crushed in game 6, 8-1. No points for Roobroeck. After winning the first 3 games of the series, they have lost the last 3. They lost game 4 in OT and game 5 in double OT. Game 7 is tomorrow night in Oshawa. The winner of the Oshawa/North Bay series will play London for the OHL championship and a spot in the Memorial Cup.
prospects still playing (outside of Pack) is down to him
Henricks' Muskegon was swept from USHL playoffs

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you....

Trevor Connelly, the gift that keeps on giving.

No wonder this kid has more red flags than an Indy Car race.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't think a major penalty is going to really cause a player to drop that far as crucial as that one was.

Plus that isn't a major outside of the IIHF. It was a dumb penalty that was completely unnecessary, but thats a minor in the NHL.

Know he has other issues, but he won't be our pick regardless because he is going to be off the board well before the Rangers pick unless they trade up.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
I don't think a major penalty is going to really cause a player to drop that far as crucial as that one was.

Plus that isn't a major outside of the IIHF. It was a dumb penalty that was completely unnecessary, but thats a minor in the NHL.

Know he has other issues, but he won't be our pick regardless because he is going to be off the board well before the Rangers pick unless they trade up.
The point isn't whether it was an 'NHL level penalty' or not. It's that he committed it in a huge spot that arguably shifted the momentum of the game and cost his team a championship. E.g., he'll do the same thing in a big spot during the playoffs because the kid is a certified moron. So he's like the reverse MItch Marner; score a lot of points in the regular season but then kill your team in a big spot because of the things you do instead of the things you don't.

I disagree with your notion that he will be long gone. In fact I guarantee he'll be available when the Rangers pick and deep into the second round.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The point isn't whether it was an 'NHL level penalty' or not. It's that he committed it in a huge spot that arguably shifted the momentum of the game and cost his team a championship. E.g., he'll do the same thing in a big spot during the playoffs because the kid is a certified moron.

I disagree with your notion that he will be long gone. In fact I guarantee he'll be available when the Rangers pick and deep into the second round.
Bob McKenzie posted his top 15 today and Connelly was 15th:

Maybe he gathered that info before the gold-medal game, and maybe that will knock Connelly down a bit, but I doubt he'll fall out of the 1st round.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Maybe he gathered that info before the gold-medal game, and maybe that will knock Connelly down a bit, but I doubt he'll fall out of the 1st round.

Yeah for sure.

Are there other things with him outside of the picture he took a few years ago? Obviously dumb, but hardly unforgivable especially if he’s truly trying to make amends (which it sounds like he has?)

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023

Tolvanen was a top ten projected.....until he wasn't.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Tolvanen was a top ten projected.....until he wasn't.
Top 10 on McKenzie's list? McKenzie polls scouts from 10 different teams to make his list, so it's based on what the teams are actually looking at.

I'm not saying he won't drop. I just think you're overstating the effect that game will have on his draft position.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I didn't think they'd keep the goalie pulled down 5-1 so jumped the gun there.

Roobroeck is going to play. Don't know how high in the lineup but thats an NHL prospect.
love hearing that - what are the skills or qualities that you see that make you think that?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
love hearing that - what are the skills or qualities that you see that make you think that?

He has good hands and has flashed some really skillful stuff that you wouldn't expect from someone with his profile (slick hands in tight, tape to tape passes from his back hand, etc) and is adept at using his size to separate players from the puck, his reach to strip pucks away from the opposition (and will make plays off of this) and it helps that he's a f***ing house and takes up so much space. I think @eco's bones made the comp first, but he's got a bunch of similarities to Brian Boyle.

He's not "seek and destroy" ala Rempe but he's got bite in his game too. He's really interesting and even though he was drafted as an over ager, his numbers for a 19 year old in that league are more than respectable (and flat out good over his last 25-30 games including his current playoff run.)

Like him, Laba and Chmelar a ton as bottom 6 options moving forward. Laba is probably the best of that group of Roobroeck might play higher than a 4th line too (Chmelar I have less confidence in doing so, but I love his profile as a 4th liner.)

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Connelly is supposedly a total douche. I don't know if I'd go as far as to drop him from my board entirely, but I wouldn't be using a first round pick on the guy. Way too many red flags. If he's falling, let someone else take the gamble that they're hitting a home run. Talent is of course the most important thing, but character counts with these guys, too.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Connelly is supposedly a total douche. I don't know if I'd go as far as to drop him from my board entirely, but I wouldn't be using a first round pick on the guy. Way too many red flags. If he's falling, let someone else take the gamble that they're hitting a home run. Talent is of course the most important thing, but character counts with these guys, too.
While I agree with the bolded, I'd be hesitant to suggest that we know his character. We thought we were getting a character guy in Andersson, and we all know how that turned out.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I remember reading an in-depth article about him at the Athletic. Here's the link if you have a subscription. It has all the issues that have come up: Who will draft Trevor Connelly? Inside the NHL's evolving scrutiny of top prospects

Honestly, this shit just makes me feel bad for him.

That doesn't mean that I condone anything that they pointed out that he's done or allegedly done, but he's clearly been a victim in some instances as well and doesn't have the overhead or guidance to set him straight (his responses haven't been healthy.) His mother is f***ing horrendous and would rather spend her time pointing fingers at other people rather than taking care of whats under her own roof. Seriously, f*** her.

But when trouble keeps on finding you across different teams and on opposite sides of the country, you yourself are the constant in that situation. Sounds like a kid who is struggling with his own demons while trying to do be better. Anyone taking him is going to have to realllly do their homework on him and be willing to invest a shit load of off ice resources on him.

Reactions: JCProdigy

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
While I agree with the bolded, I'd be hesitant to suggest that we know his character. We thought we were getting a character guy in Andersson, and we all know how that turned out.
I get it, and I usually don't like to judge kids that (in his case) are like 13-17. That's unfair. I think back to what I did as a kid, what my friends did...we'd be banned from every f***ing sport, no doubt.

My thing with guys like Connelly is, there's a lot of shit that's followed him. I read that Athletic article above and I had heard most but not all of that stuff, and then there's stuff that I've heard that isn't in the article. If you're using a first on a guy like him, you need to be pretty damn sure that it's all just "regular kid shit" and not something indicative of true personality flaws. Because that stuff only gets magnified as you move up.

If some team firmly believes it was just immaturity and he'll grow out of it, then he's definitely worth a pick. With what I've read and heard, I'd be very hesitant to take that gamble.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The earliest our 1st will be is 28 and if Connelly has fallen that far that kind of speaks to the concerns about him. We don't have to hit a home run with our first rounder. We have a lot of young forwards already with high upside. We do need however to get a good player and if it's a forward someone realistic enough to know they're not going to come into our lineup straight onto the top lines so they should have to understand it's not just talent that's going to get them to the NHL but the work that goes into developing a rounded game.

The other thing is it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Rangers to draft a D all things being equal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad