Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft Thread - Let's Talk About Picks, Bay-bee

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was looking into making a video of Boisvert. Unfortunately, the recording I still have is corrupted for 5 minutes into the third. I'll see if I can get more.

He's a noticeably terrible skater in every sense of the word, imo. Low top speed, slow feet, wide turn radius, awkward wide stance. And I say that as someone who never had any formal skating instruction and don't know what to look for.

He was pretty oblivious defensively as well.

I wouldn't hate the pick, as these things by and large can be improved with instruction and coaching. He's physical with a good shot. In that way, he's not too different from Ziemmer, though in my opinion, Ziemmer's skating deficiencies stand out less and his physicality is more visible.

Though Boisvert does play in the USHL, and generally it's a less physical league, so that may factor in.

Since I didn't have video of him where I was unsatisfied with the cuts and incompleteness of my video, I decided to veer from my original plan and am making one on Adam Jecho. Not likely to go at 21, but he might be worth a nab if the Kings trade down and/or acquire more picks.

Yeah if there's one thing I trust our dev staff to do it's work out the kinks on skating and defense

skating seems to be the common complaint, defense doesn't seem common, elite upside/vision seems common, they call him a safe pick and a likely middle six guy but unlikely 1st liner.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Yeah if there's one thing I trust our dev staff to do it's work out the kinks on skating and defense

skating seems to be the common complaint, defense doesn't seem common, elite upside/vision seems common, they call him a safe pick and a likely middle six guy but unlikely 1st liner.
I was going to say that any defensive deficiencies will be covered since our org is defense obsessed.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I was on the draft simulator website exploring the possibility of trading down to obtain an extra pick or two in this years draft. In particular, Calgary looked like a good option. Two possible deals come to mind:

A. Trading the 21st overall pick (may have to add a small piece?) to Calgary for the 28th and 41st overall picks.

or

B. Trading the 21st overall pick to Calgary for the 28th, 64th and 74th selections. No add here.

Either trade enables the Kings to stay in the 1st round. With the 28th pick, the team could go with a big bruising defenseman like Finland's Jesse Pulkkinen (LD) and then someone like hard hitting Stian Solberg (LD) or EJ Emery (RD) with the next pick. Anyone like either trade?

After watching the Oilers finish off the Kings, and then the Canucks, it was plain to see how a big and brusing defensive core (Ekholm, Nurse and Desharnais) can keep the area around the goal crease clear. I don't recall much front of the net pressure from the Kings forwards. I've changed my mind about selecting large forward Dean Letourneau in this year's 1st round. I've read his isn't as physical of a player as I had hoped.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I was on the draft simulator website exploring the possibility of trading down to obtain an extra pick or two in this years draft. In particular, Calgary looked like a good option. Two possible deals come to mind:

A. Trading the 21st overall pick (may have to add a small piece?) to Calgary for the 28th and 41st overall picks.

or

B. Trading the 21st overall pick to Calgary for the 28th, 64th and 74th selections. No add here.

Either trade enables the Kings to stay in the 1st round. With the 28th pick, the team could go with a big bruising defenseman like Finland's Jesse Pulkkinen (LD) and then someone like hard hitting Stian Solberg (LD) or EJ Emery (RD) with the next pick. Anyone like either trade?

After watching the Oilers finish off the Kings, and then the Canucks, it was plain to see how a big and brusing defensive core (Ekholm, Nurse and Desharnais) can keep the area around the goal crease clear. I don't recall much front of the net pressure from the Kings forwards. I've changed my mind about selecting large forward Dean Letourneau in this year's 1st round. I've read his isn't as physical of a player as I had hoped.
I wouldn't mind either scenario. There's also the possibility of trading up, as quality and quantity would both benefit the Kings.

I do think acquiring more picks has a higher likelihood.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
I wouldn't mind either scenario. There's also the possibility of trading up, as quality and quantity would both benefit the Kings.

I do think acquiring more picks has a higher likelihood.
I agree...to trade up, the Kings don't have picks to deal, without a 2nd or 3rd. Adding a 4th is not enough to move up in rd 1, especially since Chicago dealt 3 picks for 2 picks, only to move up from 20 to 18. That's crazy. Unless anyone would take a 2025 2nd rounder. I like the idea of moving back for 2 picks, as there is not a lot of difference between 20 and 40, it seems. (just what warts, shortcomings you prefer to work with) Would be nice to get a both a forward and a defenseman in the 25 to 45 range. I am not sure if Arty + 21 really moves up much and will be a wasted asset in Arty. A shame.

I do see that Boisvert is not that fast or a great skater...and Pulkinnen looks like a poor skater and it's not just because he's 6'6". 6'5" guys like QB , Edvinsson, etc can skate and don't look uncoordinated. Somehow, Pulkinnen uses his body, reach and puck skills, to go around so many, with ease, it seems...but try that in the NHL and it won't work..but I admire that he has such drive. Maybe he wills and works his way to becoming a better skater. Love that he imposes himself and has worked hard to be a player.

I so badly want to see the Kings get a gem of a LHD as it seems they never seem to have one on the team, or system. Seems that Solberg and other top LHD will go before 21. Ones like Pulkinnen, Hutson, Kiviharju are not worth 21. The Kings can't mess up 21, being they've not had a #1 2 years and Kupari and Bjornfot are gone...and now PROBABLY #33? OA Arty. Watch them deal it for immediate help.

Liked your Emory report. Think he will be there at 21...but he's RHD. (but it's a 3 yr wait for most of these prospects and may not matter) Will Scouch did his latest top 32 and had Freij at #5 overall! And Leshunov, Buium, Dickenson, Parehk the following 4 D...and Silayev like 18! Freij will probably be there at 21. He had Catton #3 and loves Teddy Stiga,,,at 13, I think. He thinks if Greentree was a good skater, he would be top 5...that he often was carrying 2 guys on him and is a beast. With 90 pts and only 1 other Windsor player had more than 50 pts. Greentree could fall...but probably not to 21.
I am not sure if (LHD) Kirsanov could get out of his Torpedo contract. Even if he could, consider Voynov played 3 yrs in the AHL. If he comes over next year, Gav could be gone and there goes a possible great mentor for him.

Do you think the Kings would pass on Connelly?

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I agree...to trade up, the Kings don't have picks to deal, without a 2nd or 3rd. Adding a 4th is not enough to move up in rd 1, especially since Chicago dealt 3 picks for 2 picks, only to move up from 20 to 18. That's crazy. Unless anyone would take a 2025 2nd rounder. I like the idea of moving back for 2 picks, as there is not a lot of difference between 20 and 40, it seems. (just what warts, shortcomings you prefer to work with) Would be nice to get a both a forward and a defenseman in the 25 to 45 range. I am not sure if Arty + 21 really moves up much and will be a wasted asset in Arty. A shame.
I agree that Kaliyev is gone at the draft. More likely for a pick. But if not, the scenario to move up is also an option.
I so badly want to see the Kings get a gem of a LHD as it seems they never seem to have one on the team, or system. Seems that Solberg and other top LHD will go before 21. Ones like Pulkinnen, Hutson, Kiviharju are not worth 21. The Kings can't mess up 21, being they've not had a #1 2 years and Kupari and Bjornfot are gone...and now PROBABLY #33? OA Arty. Watch them deal it for immediate help.
A bluechip LHD would be great. Some feel like reaches at 21, but I'd rather them get their guy (whether it's LHD, G, or whatever position they play) than for them to settle. Like you though, if there's a player they're confident will be available at a lower pick, I'd rather them trade down. You just have to have an agreeable partner.
Liked your Emory report. Think he will be there at 21...but he's RHD. (but it's a 3 yr wait for most of these prospects and may not matter) Will Scouch did his latest top 32 and had Freij at #5 overall! And Leshunov, Buium, Dickenson, Parehk the following 4 D...and Silayev like 18! Freij will probably be there at 21. He had Catton #3 and loves Teddy Stiga,,,at 13, I think. He thinks if Greentree was a good skater, he would be top 5...that he often was carrying 2 guys on him and is a beast. With 90 pts and only 1 other Windsor player had more than 50 pts. Greentree could fall...but probably not to 21.
I'm glad you like the article!

I agree that there are a lot of RHD, but by the time he's ready, Doughty will likely be gone, as will Roy. Clarke will be graduated. That leaves Sparkes, Salin, and Mania. All three have pretty significant obstacles to overcome so they can become viable NHLers. It's why I don't hesitate to explore even the "deep" positions in the org.

I'm not a big fan of Greentree. He looks very casual when he plays reminiscent of Jeff Carter without the effectiveness. He's not lazy. Just not intense. And I worry he'll have a rude awakening against tougher competition. I've just not been impressed. But he also wouldn't be the first prospect to make me look foolish.

I love Stiga. Relentless and skilled, and he's everywhere. He has stood out in every USA hockey game I've watched. With the different videos I have made, tried to make, and considered, the USNTDP is the team I've watched the most.

I wouldn't mind Freij, though I can't explain why - I've not been able to attach myself to him when watching him play.
I am not sure if (LHD) Kirsanov could get out of his Torpedo contract. Even if he could, consider Voynov played 3 yrs in the AHL. If he comes over next year, Gav could be gone and there goes a possible great mentor for him.
Hoven has actually heard there's a good chance Kirsanov comes over. I understand he's not all-knowing, but he's since tried to learn from past errors; he's avoiding on reporting things without a higher degree of confidence in the information from his sources.
Do you think the Kings would pass on Connelly?
100%. Of course, kids do dumb things and learn from mistakes. Swastika with the building blocks aside, though, Katie Strang in the Athletic also spoke about issues with teammates.

That said, he seems to be doing a lot more to address it. So, he doesn't feel irredeemable like Miller...but he's more likely to be taken by a team with extra picks who can afford to take the risk. Like San Jose, Chicago, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad