2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Thoughts on taking Nabokov with either #67 or #72 if he is there?

Add another goalie to pipeline

Nabokov was great in MHL and then walked into KHL and played great there

Would be great value at either of those spots
I’m absolutely in on taking a goalie this year. This pipeline still needs prospects. Commesso will hopefully graduate to a full time player by 2025. At that point, you’d only have Gajan in the wings.

It doesn’t hurt to take a swing on a European prospect. If you wanted some size in net, you could take a look at Pavel Moysevich or Kirill Zarabin. Maybe one of them or both will be available at #138

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
MBN will be gone imo

Count on the top 15 being chalk in terms of the prospects off the board.

We're not going to like what's available at 18.
If 1 of Colbert Conley or Greentree go in the top 17 1 of jirick. Hage. Mbn. Will be there at 18.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
MBN will be gone imo

Count on the top 15 being chalk in terms of the prospects off the board.

We're not going to like what's available at 18.
Nikita Artamonov is a great prospect. I just don't trust the Blackhawks to make the right choice.

So I want them to move up because it becomes a lot harder for them to mess up if they do.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Wow the more I watch of Yakemchuk the more I love him.

He literally embodies so many aspects that I see missing from Korchinski's game. Absolutely lethal and versatile shot. Can beat a goalie clean from distance with a wrist shot in a way I've really only seen from Makar. Heavy one timer. Able to utilize the threat of his shot to find passing seams. He's big and super engaged physically, will stand up for any teammate/get into scrums/box opponents out/facewash/etc. Always trying to get to the middle of the ice.

Stats are there too: 4th in ppg by a draft year dman in the last 25 years, lead the WHL in shots by D by over 40, tied for 5th overall in PIMs. Second on his team for goals and points.

He's a 6'3, heavy, mean RHD, a decent skater AND has the skillset of a 5'11 forward. I know the defense needs work but seems like it's improved over the season and I have a lot faith in a guy with his size/reach, physicality and engagement level to improve in that area to where it's passable like Burns/Buff.

Main concern is that his first step is pretty heavy and might get turnstiled in the NHL. But I think with his athleticism and a good skating coach he'll be ok. Big guys are basically never explosive

I think he's going to be a gamebreaker in the NHL.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Granted I probably hate Murphy more than GM's around the league, but I can't fathom NJ would drop 8 spots in the 1st round for an injury prone bottom pairing d-man.

If, however, you happen to catch NJ's GM in a drunken stupor and he agrees to this trade - do it quickly before he sobers up.
I think it would take more than that.....then the NJ GM would be fired the next day.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I like Chernyshov. I think he can be a great role player.

Artamonov has top 6 upside though.

I just don't see the offensive upside with him. Whereas with Chernyshov I do plus he plays a true power forward game which is exactly what the Hawks need in their system.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Wow the more I watch of Yakemchuk the more I love him.

He literally embodies so many aspects that I see missing from Korchinski's game. Absolutely lethal and versatile shot. Can beat a goalie clean from distance with a wrist shot in a way I've really only seen from Makar. Heavy one timer. Able to utilize the threat of his shot to find passing seams. He's big and super engaged physically, will stand up for any teammate/get into scrums/box opponents out/facewash/etc. Always trying to get to the middle of the ice.

Stats are there too: 4th in ppg by a draft year dman in the last 25 years, lead the WHL in shots by D by over 40, tied for 5th overall in PIMs. Second on his team for goals and points.

He's a 6'3, heavy, mean RHD, a decent skater AND has the skillset of a 5'11 forward. I know the defense needs work but seems like it's improved over the season and I have a lot faith in a guy with his size/reach, physicality and engagement level to improve in that area to where it's passable like Burns/Buff.

Main concern is that his first step is pretty heavy and might get turnstiled in the NHL. But I think with his athleticism and a good skating coach he'll be ok. Big guys are basically never explosive

I think he's going to be a gamebreaker in the NHL.
From a guy (me) who hasn't followed any of the potential draft picks, it sounds convincing enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad