Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
2024 Draft Profile:

LW Eriks Mateiko, Saint John QMJHL

In terms of pure physical strength, this 6'5-210 Latvian import is on the short-list for the top handful of players in the 2024 draft class. Once he plants his skates in front of the net, he's essentially immovable. I've seen QMJHL defensemen trying to knock him away from their goaltenders and Mateiko just stands there as if he isn't even noticing the two-handed crosschecks. It looks like a squirrel trying to move a redwood tree.

Mateiko is not the most skilled player in the CHL, but there is certainly upside. Foremost we must mention his shot -- Mateiko has a quick release and one of the hardest slap-shots and one-timers in the entire Canadian junior circuit. I'd like to see him use it more, as usually his offensive game is pretty simple -- forecheck and knock defenders off their feet until Saint John gains possession, then crash the crease. Mateiko has improved over the course of the year in deflections, and actually was just shy of a point-per-game player at 23-20-43 in 49 games.

Mateiko has another strength to add to his shooting and physicality, which is that he's actually a very good defensive forward. This is attributable to a strong work ethic, and he's also a pretty smart player. I'd call his passing and puck handling "serviceable", though is overall offensive game is raw to say the least. Mateiko is maybe an average skater. His top speeds are pretty good, but he takes awhile to get going and sharp changes of direction are not exactly his forte.

I think Mateiko is a player you draft in Rounds 6/7 with the idea he could be a physical 4th liner who also plays good defense and offers big-time physicality in your bottom 6. His ultimate upside would involve some skating improvements, because if he rounded his game enough to play with higher-level talent, his shot is actually disgustingly good and between that and the net front presence, he could score some goals at the highest levels.

“I think Mateiko is a player you draft in Rounds 6/7”

IMG_7426.jpeg
*Shrug*
He moves his feet = 2nd round for Pronman lol
(& since he’s Latvian, has a heart like a lion, obviously.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad