Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nate needs to add some weight

At 19YO, he just got done growing, he's listed an inch taller than pre-draft. Meals are provided by billet families in the CHL, I'm sure they'll bulk him up in GR.

beefcake_cartman_by_waterzo4_dgrb3nh-pre.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: FMichael

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
CHL teams' facilities/resources and demanding CHL schedule, especially in WHL, make it a much bigger training challenge during the season for players than those at elite NCAA programs. Nate actually looks scrawny at this point. It would be good for him to make an early move to Detroit and spend the entire off-season getting ready for camp. He shouldn't have much trouble adding the strength he needs to best play the type of game he has.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
CHL teams' facilities/resources and demanding CHL schedule, especially in WHL, make it a much bigger training challenge during the season for players than those at elite NCAA programs. Nate actually looks scrawny at this point. It would be good for him to make an early move to Detroit and spend the entire off-season getting ready for camp. He shouldn't have much trouble adding the strength he needs to best play the type of game he has.

Some college players actually take academics seriously... and even those that don't still have to attend classes and meet minimum grade requirements. Required classes like math/English tend to be time consuming. I remember I had to help my neighbors out a few times with math in college. I'm sure that coursework factors into some kids leaving college and going pro.

Reactions: Snuggs

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Some college players actually take academics seriously... and even those that don't still have to attend classes and meet minimum grade requirements. Required classes like math/English tend to be time consuming. I remember I had to help my neighbors out a few times with math in college. I'm sure that coursework factors into some kids leaving college and going pro.

Sure, all that's true. Not suggesting NCAA players are only there for hookey or that academics don't take up a lot of time. Or that Portland Winterhawks, for example don't have good training facilities or excellent billets. But between the extra number of games played and much more demanding travel, as well as most U19 CHL players and many older than that either attending school or taking courses by remote or even part-time at local universities, NCAA players have much more time and opportunity to put into training, and at most top NCAA schools, world-class facilities to do it in. And not many NCAA elite guys with pro careers ahead of them are being traded from U. Michigan to Denver halfway through the season lol and have to adapt to all the new things that come with it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
As much as Kasper and Mazur get over hyped here, even the most enthusiastic people aren't gonna claim that they can carry the puck and make plays. So a lot rests on Nate's shoulders.....
You can say Kasper is overhyped if you want, but his ability to carry the puck is one of his better traits. If you watch him in Grand Rapids you'll see how great he is at zone entries

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
i just don't see Kasper as over hyped, or even hyped. Not to be a contrarian for its own sake, I actually see more posts panning the guy while labeling him as a Tyler Bert type with less offensive skill. That or a Draper type with more edge, and the same hands.

Nate: I have hosted and my son been hosted as a billet. Very tough to put weight on these kids. Look back at your 16-18 year of age photos. Not many had extra pounds. We'd eat and eat but we burned that off with activities. These kids do all of that, plus burn off which amounts to 500-700 calories per hour of a game and likely more in a practice. You can pour 5000 calories down their throat with pizza or protein drink, carbs or lard and the busy little bastards just burn it off. LOL

More to the point of Nate. He'll never be big. He will add leg strength ala Larkin. In fact, I see him as much the same type player. Yet, I also see him on the Wings roster next season, so what the heck do I know.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i just don't see Kasper as over hyped, or even hyped. Not to be a contrarian for its own sake, I actually see more posts panning the guy while labeling him as a Tyler Bert type with less offensive skill. That or a Draper type with more edge, and the same hands.

Nate: I have hosted and my son been hosted as a billet. Very tough to put weight on these kids. Look back at your 16-18 year of age photos. Not many had extra pounds. We'd eat and eat but we burned that off with activities. These kids do all of that, plus burn off which amounts to 500-700 calories per hour of a game and likely more in a practice. You can pour 5000 calories down their throat with pizza or protein drink, carbs or lard and the busy little bastards just burn it off. LOL

More to the point of Nate. He'll never be big. He will add leg strength ala Larkin. In fact, I see him as much the same type player. Yet, I also see him on the Wings roster next season, so what the heck do I know.

it's wild to me how one slow start to a season dealing with both being a AHL/NA in general rookie and an injury over the offseason is enough for me to be higher on Kasper's upside than most of this forum

i'm not someone that even wanted to draft the guy and wanted to go after someone less safe

Reactions: Realgud

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
it's wild to me how one slow start to a season dealing with both being a AHL/NA in general rookie and an injury over the offseason is enough for me to be higher on Kasper's upside than most of this forum

i'm not someone that even wanted to draft the guy and wanted to go after someone less safe

Many of the Kasper detractors haven't watched him actually play, or are looking at AHL stats and thinking his totals are low without considering the context.

AHL is way lower scoring than the NHL. His point totals as a rookie starting out on the 3rd/4th line while coming back from an injury then playing his way up to the 1st/2nd line give me hope that there's even more to his game. He probably needs another year in the AHL but that's OK. Let him cook.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
So enough talk about Kasper in the Danielson thread… how has he looked?
Clearly adjusting to a new system and playing against men. Hasn't looked bad though. It's not like he's starting with regular season AHL. While it's not the NHL playoff hockey is playoff hockey.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Clearly adjusting to a new system and playing against men. Hasn't looked bad though. It's not like he's starting with regular season AHL. While it's not the NHL playoff hockey is playoff hockey.

Bultman had an article today and he talked to Watson who confirmed that Nate literally hasn't practiced with the team - he learned the "systems" by videotape. He pretty clearly is just trying to not **** up right now and is doing a pretty solid job. Would imagine he'll get more and more comfortable (although their season could end tonight).

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Bultman had an article today and he talked to Watson who confirmed that Nate literally hasn't practiced with the team - he learned the "systems" by videotape. He pretty clearly is just trying to not **** up right now and is doing a pretty solid job. Would imagine he'll get more and more comfortable (although their season could end tonight).
Yup. I noticed some little stuff like not covering for a dman pinching and they threw the puck where they thought Danielson would be and he wasn't there. Obviously that player should look where they pass but you can tell he's ironing out the details.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad