OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That camera guy is lucky to still have his fingers intact.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The best day of the year. The WHL Bantam Draft.

No Jaydens or Braydens through the first six rounds. Only one Kayden. The era is over.

A few kids named Hudson and Cash.

The Miracle on the Hudson (Sully Sullenberger) was Jan 2009, which would probably explain why the name is so popular with this birth year.

and I don't know why all these hockey parents starting calling their kids Easton suddenly, but here we are.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

After a long business trip, get home, log into HFB Tampa. See's this news. Now I have beer snorting out of my nose. Stay classy Laffs...

funny-comedian-adam-sandler-lmao-3e40gt0n1su1yuy3.gif

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This is the exact thing that I like to tear apart on a conceptual level. My day has come.

Putting aside the obvious funding question, or why Dangle is the one to break this story, how do you fill an arena in a sizeable enough market (in a fall league?) in order to cover a $30 million dollar salary cap with 24 minute games? Those arenas are pretty much busy in the fall. Is that even the idea?

The most reasonable way to work that would either be by touring, or the Overwatch League model, where teams only superficially represent different markets. They're all actually housed in LA or Toronto, or wherever. You can see three different games with that day's ticket. Why have teams in Oklahoma or Nebraska, though?

Why is there a marquee player restriction? Marquee player rules are more about exceeding the cap. The best logic would either be cost control (which is what the cap was for), or becoming a WHA, and getting Gretzky before he's in the NHL. USports guys in particular don't end up in the NHL very often, so that seems unlikely.

So, a pretty solid plan, IMO. 8/10

edit:
Here's how it could reasonably work.

30 million dollar league cap (all the players combined cost 30 million). That's $1.875 m per team.

Have a few different hub cities, or the mini-league idea I keep bringing up. Four teams in LA, four teams in Minneapolis/St. Paul, four teams in Toronto, etc. Teams take on names for different markets, but it's mostly meaningless.

The hub cities play three games in one day (can also go on tour with this). Teams would only need to carry one goalie each. A house goalie could sub in for everyone. Zamboni between games. There is some occasional travel between the hub cities for schedule variety.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
ASMR? Videos like these make me vom my guts out. My body physically can't handle the poison of seeing an ice rink getting destroyed.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
This is the exact thing that I like to tear apart on a conceptual level. My day has come.

Putting aside the obvious funding question, or why Dangle is the one to break this story, how do you fill an arena in a sizeable enough market (in a fall league?) in order to cover a $30 million dollar salary cap with 24 minute games? Those arenas are pretty much busy in the fall. Is that even the idea?

The most reasonable way to work that would either be by touring, or the Overwatch League model, where teams only superficially represent different markets. They're all actually housed in LA or Toronto, or wherever. You can see three different games with that day's ticket. Why have teams in Oklahoma or Nebraska, though?

Why is there a marquee player restriction? Marquee player rules are more about exceeding the cap. The best logic would either be cost control (which is what the cap was for), or becoming a WHA, and getting Gretzky before he's in the NHL. USports guys in particular don't end up in the NHL very often, so that seems unlikely.

So, a pretty solid plan, IMO. 8/10

edit:
Here's how it could reasonably work.

30 million dollar league cap (all the players combined cost 30 million). That's $1.875 m per team.

Have a few different hub cities, or the mini-league idea I keep bringing up. Four teams in LA, four teams in Minneapolis/St. Paul, four teams in Toronto, etc. Teams take on names for different markets, but it's mostly meaningless.

The hub cities play three games in one day (can also go on tour with this). Teams would only need to carry one goalie each. A house goalie could sub in for everyone. Zamboni between games. There is some occasional travel between the hub cities for schedule variety.

Feels very CART/IRL to me, except worse planned but with (potentially) more funding

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Feels very CART/IRL to me, except worse planned but with (potentially) more funding
It feels like someone is sportwashing, but the teams are staying in NA, I guess.

NHL Network analyst David Pagnotta basically backed Dangle up on Twitter. That tweet seems to be deleted as well.

3-on-3 got pretty boring in the last year, anyway.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
It feels like someone is sportwashing, but the teams are staying in NA, I guess.

NHL Network analyst David Pagnotta basically backed Dangle up on Twitter. That tweet seems to be deleted as well.

3-on-3 got pretty boring in the last year, anyway.

I wonder if he'll include that as a "dang it" moment

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
More about Major League Hockey.

He's also saying it's Saudi money.

It's a bit tougher to find Canadian market sizes, but Regina is way smaller than Winnipeg.

Max Chambers tried to buy the Orlando Seals 20 years ago, rename them the Orlando Spiders (coached by Butch Goring), and put them in the new WHA.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Who loved seeing Marchand trying to deliver a late check on bennett and absolutely getting blown up. Marchand laid on the ice and wouldn't try to fight Bennett. They say he got a concussion but he played the rest of game. Doesn't make any sense. The rat got rated and the Bruins fans are crying. Ironically if the nhl suspended him per the rules for 10 games for shoving a ref he wouldn't have been playing. KARMA got him.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad