GDT: AUT - SUI

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
A tough call with 90 seconds remaining. In my opinion that was not a penalty. All defending players do this kind of "holding" all the time. To pick one such play in this phase of the game? For me, a bad call.
I'd like to see the play again. At first glance it looked like he just hit the guy and prevented him from getting to the net.

Reactions: Summer Rose

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Putting Bertschy along Hischier and Thürkauf wasn't that bad, also.

But yeah, why do you select two players which you have to bench vs. Austria.

Bertschy was great, absolutely flying, I want to see him use his speed like he did today, he can be a treat

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Putting Bertschy along Hischier and Thürkauf wasn't that bad, also.

But yeah, why do you select two players which you have to bench vs. Austria.
Yes i‘d definitely keep that line for tomorrow. Yeah i don‘t know why he‘d want to select jung and Fora i mean Fora atleast has experience but Jung is just not really good enough especially if you have a players like Siegenthaler or Marti for the PK

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
First of all, the penalty call against Wolf was definitely wrong, but I feel like Raffl could have been called for tripping 5 seconds earlier.

Anyway, there's no shame in having a tough game against a supposedly weaker team, the Czech were down 3-1 against Norway yesterday and Canada didn't exactly destroy Britain. Latvia lost two points in their supposedly easiest games as well. Austria also deserves a lot of credit for bouncing back after their awful game yesterday, they played a strong game and didn't let many 5 on 5 chances, they were just let down by their PK. Against Denmark it felt like only Wukovits and Rohrer gave a crap, but today everyone showed up.

But what I am really worried about is that it reminded me of the 2022 and 2023 quarterfinals, where they started the game as favourite, things didn't go as planned and they started to overdo things and act nervously in situations a team of this caliber should be able to handle with calm. This team feels mentally weak, capable of outplaying top teams but getting needlessly nervous when things don't go their way.

FriarChill

Jan 31, 2023
Vienna
Was that a horrible call? Yes.

But look at who was just standing in front of Hischier watching him score on the "PENALTY KILL". Heinrich should not be on the team but he is on the PENALTY KILL. You'll win very few games with staffing decisions like that.
🤣, yeah Heinrich is always a risk to cost us a goal (or more).

Fun game, better team won. Austria can gain lots of confidence from that game too.

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
Well played Austria, I didn't expect you to make Switzerland have to battle so much! I agree with those who think it was a weak call at the end, but also think that Switzerland's victor was deserved.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
First of all, the penalty call against Wolf was definitely wrong, but I feel like Raffl could have been called for tripping 5 seconds earlier.

Anyway, there's no shame in having a tough game against a supposedly weaker team, the Czech were down 3-1 against Norway yesterday and Canada didn't exactly destroy Britain. Latvia lost two points in their supposedly easiest games as well. Austria also deserves a lot of credit for bouncing back after their awful game yesterday, they played a strong game and didn't let many 5 on 5 chances, they were just let down by their PK. Against Denmark it felt like only Wukovits and Rohrer gave a crap, but today everyone showed up.

But what I am really worried about is that it reminded me of the 2022 and 2023 quarterfinals, where they started the game as favourite, things didn't go as planned and they started to overdo things and act nervously in situations a team of this caliber should be able to handle with calm. This team feels mentally weak, capable of outplaying top teams but getting needlessly nervous when things don't go their way.

That mental weakness is exactly why this team needs to face a ton of adversity to make the quarter

It will be very hard agasint the Czechs

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Yes, i was there yesterday. Lots of austrian fans were there. Was a bit surprised that the Arena was almost sold out playing against Denmark.

It's about 3,5-4 hours drive from Vienna.
I mean i‘d go too if i was that close understandable that many austrians went.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
As frustrated as I was by the outcome of the game, there's a lot of positives.

All the guys who were once "prospects" are really panning out. Haudum two goals, assist last game. Baumi a goal, Paul Huber a goal. Rohrer an assist, an assist last game. Maier an assist, played well on defense. Rossi an assist, played really well. Zwerger an assist. Wolf and Zundel played really well, I mean obviously each had some mistakes but given the circumstances.

2 games, we've scored 6 goals. No points for your #1 Dman and your top line C. I think it calls for re-evaluating who really is your number one Dman and your top line captain. Nickl evidently will first start with the team on Tuesday vs. Canada. That's a throwaway game if ever there was one but I'd like to see him slot next to Zundel and play heavy minutes. And I think the C should definitely go to Marco Rossi. He's super young but he is the captain as defined by how he plays, he leads by example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad