Player Discussion: Ehlers

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
As probably one of the biggest Ehlers fans here, I will admit that he hasn't been great in the playoffs overall (I think it's partly mental, maybe softness as well) but I still think he's a great player and hope we extend him - and if anything maybe the playoff performance can help us get a discount on the contract. We can still get other players as well to carry some of the load if he's in a slump but it would be sad to see him move on to a different team.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Definitely not an excuse for his PO performance (since that has been underwhelming for years) but he did just withdraw himself from playing the world championship for Denmark because of injury. Said he has been having neck issues for 8 months and sometimes would struggle to sit and eat because of pain. Also says that he could play if he really needed to but that he wants to heal up and be ready for the Jets next season.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
What do we think the return can be in an Ehlers trade (assuming a trade between now and let’s say the draft)?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What do we think the return can be in an Ehlers trade (assuming a trade between now and let’s say the draft)?

If we trade him before 2024 draft probably not as much as this summer and leading up to 2025 draft. Just because after July 1st there can be some negotiations with regards to an extension.

With an extension lined up we can probably get more value but most teams are going to be wanting a futures type package.

There is some talk that the Habs might be open to moving Justin Barron. Maybe we unite the brothers and see if they have some interest in Ehlers.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If we trade him before 2024 draft probably not as much as this summer and leading up to 2025 draft. Just because after July 1st there can be some negotiations with regards to an extension.

With an extension lined up we can probably get more value but most teams are going to be wanting a futures type package.

There is some talk that the Habs might be open to moving Justin Barron. Maybe we unite the brothers and see if they have some interest in Ehlers.
From the main board it seems like Barron can be had for a luscius we can do a lot better if we are trading ehlers Imo.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
From the main board it seems like Barron can be had for a luscius we can do a lot better if we are trading ehlers Imo.

I think Barron is a good starting point perhaps.

Maybe eyeball one of their 2025 1st rounders and some additional assets.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
This talk is nice and all but does anyone actually believe he is going anywhere. The org will do everything possible to keep him just like 55 & 37.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This talk is nice and all but does anyone actually believe he is going anywhere. The org will do everything possible to keep him just like 55 & 37.

I have a feeling the org recognizes he isn't getting it done in the playoffs. I also think there is a chance we just run it back and the org isn't feeling any heat whatsoever.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
A good but flawed top pair defenseman on a team that has two better.

Basically second pair defenseman on a contender?

Either that or you try for a 1st and d prospect and hope you get lucky like Minny did in the Fiala deal. That type of deal has never been the Jets M.O. unless forced into it by the player, however...

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

Either that or you try for a 1st and d prospect and hope you get lucky like Minny did in the Fiala deal. That type of deal has never been the Jets M.O. unless forced into it by the player, however...
I would be interested in Pick #14 and Henry Thrun from the Sharks. Throw in Stanley or Schmidt with retention as a veteran defenseman rental for their young team.

They can either extend Ehlers after July 1st or flip him at next year’s deadline.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Would be a bit nervous about it seeing recent reviews from islanders fans but Ehlers for Pulock could be a win win for both teams. Morrissey - Pulock could be an awesome top pairing that's locked up for the next several years

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Would be a bit nervous about it seeing recent reviews from islanders fans but Ehlers for Pulock could be a win win for both teams. Morrissey - Pulock could be an awesome top pairing that's locked up for the next several years

The only wrench there is the full NTC that Pulock has. Would he be willing to leave the Isles and come home? And is Ehlers the type of player that Lou would acquire?

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The only wrench there is the full NTC that Pulock has. Would he be willing to leave the Isles and come home? And is Ehlers the type of player that Lou would acquire?

The big thing is Roy would know him from coaching in the Q. If he endorsed it then I could see if happening.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad