Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
agree only to a point

first, brief clarification re Emberson,
he was a 3rd round pick of Yotes,
many folks here dismissed him as a throw-in, maybe because Nemeth was such nothing for NYR
But part of the NYR front office, that made that deal, was Mike Grier
(btw i think it's wrong that guys who burn a season after college have that season count for waivers; for burning a year regarding extending, no biggie)
I honestly don't think any other GM woulda claimed Emberson

but re development, i just think many folks are too unrealistically impatient (or I am too optimistic and patient)
yes, more than ever, SOME very young guys accelerate to pro quality very quickly
but for others, it is a process and a journey
look at Luis Gil, now cruising as an ace starter for NYY, but 8 or 9 years after being drafted (but still mid 20's)

my expectations is NYR definitely QO, and keep Robertson and Henriksson (but maybe not Trivigno, but i would)
Yeah sorry, that's my bad on Emberson, I'm getting old. :laugh: I remember at the time he was acquired arguing that he wasn't really just a throw in, because I remembered liking him when I watched Key playing at Wisconsin.

I remember before he was claimed, I said the only way he'd get claimed is if some team had their eye on him from years earlier and still loved him, or if he went to a cellar dweller that figured his upside was worth a gamble.

Anyway, I agree that Robertson should get a QO. He really hasn't developed much, but 23 isn't terribly old for a defenseman and I think he's worth holding onto for at least another year.

Henriksson I'd let walk. He's not ready to push for a spot and I don't think his upside is notable. You can find better AHL players on AHL deals and he's far enough down the depth chart that an NHL deal seems a bit unnecessary.

Trivigno was my biggest disappointment of the season and it doesn't seem the coaching staff, or maybe even the whole organization, particularly likes him. He was scratched a lot. Taking into consideration his age and the difficulty he has had as a pro I think he's out.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Well said. I've always been an advocate for Robertson until this season, really. He was down there with Schneider, with Jones. Scanlin and Emberson went from somewhat unheralded UDFAs to a guy who is a decent prospect (Scanlin) and a guy who was claimed on waivers and would have played the whole year in the NHL if not for an injury (Emberson). If the Rangers have a player development issue it's not with defensemen.

Sometimes guys just reach the end of their developmental capacity. Literally there are guys who peak at 17 in junior hockey and never get any better at any level. It happens. Robertson was wildly inconsistent as a pro and instead of becoming a good two-way defenseman like I thought he'd become, he's become a guy who is just not notably good at anything in particular. It is what it is. He was a good gamble that, at least for now, appears to have busted.

The thing is Robertson's got a lot of things going for him. He's big, not a weak player, he skates and handles and can move the puck really well. As a pro he hasn't put all these things together. Whether it's hockey IQ or just plain old determination and focus something hasn't happened. He's got examples of other d-men---some with less of the above than him finding their way. It's like WTF! but it happens that some just don't get there. Maybe a change of organization would really help him.

Reactions: nyr2k2

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Pack have released Pekar
2024-05-14 Matej Pekar (F) Hartford DEL Released from SPC
I had hopes for him,
remembering his promise as Sabres 4th rounder a few years back (see THN article below),
and hoping his physical, distracting game might add sandpaper to Pack lineup
But he never earned a regular spot, playing 15 games in Dec/Jan during a stretch of injuries and call-ups, but then only 5 down the stretch
Pekar (a Czech, but he'd been playing in NA since age 15, 8 seasons ago)
signs with Litvinov of Czech League

Reactions: Ranger Ric

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad