Movies: Horror Movie Discussion

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. At least you got to fully exercise your rating system. Sharks of the Corn reminds me of ThanksKilling, which I watched last year and is about a fake-looking turkey killing rural townspeople. I gave that a 3/10, though. Often, I wonder if I'm too generous. I've given a 1/10 only once, and that was for Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny. I like to save that score for the "What was I thinking even putting this on and not immediately turning it off" movies. Sharks of the Corn sounds like that kind of movie.

I don't like to give 1's either (this is only my sixth ever), so I get it. The rare times I have given them, I usually have to talk myself into it.

This was not one of those times though. Sharks of the Corn was a chore, aside from the first kill which was legitimately funny. I honestly wasn't sure if I should review it, the production and overall quality is so low it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst other movies on IMDB/Letterboxd. Like yeah, Leprechaun: Origins (my other recent "1") is horrible, but you can tell it was made by an actual studio. You and I could make Sharks of the Corn.

I actually had more internal conflict about the score of Disciples of the Crow. But they cut a rabbit's head off for their stupid movie, so screw 'em.

• Haha
Reactions: Osprey

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The Watchers by Ishana Night Shyamalan (2024)

M.Night’s daughter made her directorial debut at 24/25 with this one. It’s not reviewing well with critics but is getting a more middling score from audiences. I kinda liked it to be honest- its origins lie in Irish lore, the setting was beautiful, the monsters were genuinely creepy, It was nice to see Dakota Fanning…I forgot she existed! She did good. The crazy old lady from Tarot was in it too. She plays the same kinda character in every PG-13 horror movie apparently.

You can tell it’s written and directed by a Shyamalan, the end started to lose me a little but she did a better job than her dad did in some of his movies in terms of getting things back on the rails imo.

I went 6.0/10

Not gonna agree with critics every time and if I did then where is the fun in that?

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I watched The First Omen yesterday. The original Omen is my favourite horror movie and possibly my favourite horror movie of all time. That said, I read the reviews. The movie was being praised left and right on IMDB and Reddit. I was looking forward to watching the prequel.

I watched the movie. The reviews baffled me, did these people watch the original Omen?

- The Father Brennan was squeaky clean in this movie. Not like in the original Omen where he was part of the plan to give Damien to Robert. He died trying to repent for his actions.

- In the original, Father Brennan tells Robert he was there when "it" gave birth. I guess they forgot in this prequel.

- Father Brennan also explains to Margeret, there are two churches. The other church created an anti-christ to bring back people to church by causing fear. This is a dumb reason how to bring people back to church. If you look at the final movie, Damien was hell bent on defeating the Nazarene and not bringing people back to church.

- The Orignal movie, Robert finds out Damien's birth mother is a Jackal. You see the jackal bones in the grave. In this movie she's not really a jackal and Satan or a vessel of Satan is the Jackal. It was some weird incest because you find out Margeret is not really just a normal young girl, she's a half anti-christ that they brought back to produce a male anti-christ with her father. I guess they are going to say she's a Jackal hybrid. Again, the mother was a full blown jackal and not a hybrid.

- In the original movie the jackal mom is dead. In this one, she's still alive and also gives birth to a twin. There was never a mention of a twin.

- They hardly used the music from the original trilogy. The soundtrack from the original movies is absolutely fantastic.

It was an ok movie. It would have made a good horror movie if it was a standalone movie and not a prequel of The Omen. It did not feel like a prequel to The Omen. I was left disappointed.

I give it a 7/10 if it was a standalone. Since this is supposed to be a prequel, it get 3/10.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad