Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know I'm known as the local Shesterkin hater here but why did people get on him for allowing that second goal? Pretty clearly went off Trouba. I know we didn't play well (at least according to the people here) but they had more lucky goals.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Goalies are going to allow goals. Can't be bothered to dissect every GA unless it's happening late in games or OT and directly leading to tough losses. Igor will have a goal here and there that he should probably save, no question about it, but the goals he should probably allow but doesn't so far out weight them it's stupid to try and harp on it all the time.

Just be blessed about the sort of goaltending the Rangers have had for basically forever, I can name quite a few fan bases in this league that would love to have our less than perfect goalies in net over the last couple decades.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I didn't like goals 1 or 4. Those are both shots he should have stopped.

He didn't let up anything after that and there were many opportunities for him to do so. All that matters.
He half heartedly went for the poke check right as Reinhardt shot.

The Forsling goal was a walk in snipe from the lady’s tee.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I noticed the "DONT GIVE IGOR AN EXTENTION" crowd has been very silent during the playoffs.

Almost like they are realizing how important a good goalie can be...and how an average one can cost you the playoffs.
I remember when we signed him to that contract I’d say the majority of fans here were saying it’s a bad deal and giving him too much for too long. I was saying it’s a bad deal because we should’ve locked him up longer.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Igor certainly held the fort and then some after he gave up the 4th goal on Sunday but since the beginning of game 4 vs Carolina he's really been painfully average.

Hes given up 7 goals in this series, 4 of them were ones he should have had and 2 of those were just flat out bad.

Is he wearing down or is this just a small "blip" in the radar (and I'll call it a blip because he hasn't been that bad)? If its a blip, we're in amazing shape because he's more than capable of stealing a bunch of games.

I remember when we signed him to that contract I’d say the majority of fans here were saying it’s a bad deal and giving him too much for too long. I was saying it’s a bad deal because we should’ve locked him up longer.

I think most people were on your side of the fence who wanted a longer deal with more UFA years eaten.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Igor certainly held the fort and then some after he gave up the 4th goal on Sunday but since the beginning of game 4 vs Carolina he's really been painfully average.

Hes given up 7 goals in this series, 4 of them were ones he should have had and 2 of those were just flat out bad.

Is he wearing down or is this just a small "blip" in the radar (and I'll call it a blip because he hasn't been that bad)? If its a blip, we're in amazing shape because he's more than capable of stealing a bunch of games.

I think most people were on your side of the fence who wanted a longer deal with more UFA years eaten.
I just went back and read the thread, most were saying it's a huge overpayment and huge gamble on a goalie with 40-something NHL games

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I feel like sometimes fans forget about the softies when he makes big saves but I guess you it could argue that works both ways. We might have still lost that game but he was a big part of the loss in game 1 and game 3 he was a wall after it went 4-4 but he also gave up 4 goals. I don't know if he's been average but people do tend to ignore when he gives up bad goals.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Our fans or rival fans?

Because we could have signed him for 8 years at league minimum and opposing fans would have said it was a bad deal.

In my memory I remember in his sophore season our fans said we should draft another goalie. I'm not getting on anyone as everyone knows I've killed him enough (just like Hank), just clarifying.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Truth hurts I guess.

G4 vs Carolina and G1 of the current series were objectively bad games.

I think he deserves a ton of credit for holding the line in G3 of the current series, but 2 of those 4 GA's against weren't good. Same applies to G6 of the Carolina series though that wasn't a necessity due to his own making, his team let him down until they didn't.

Compare that to every game that proceeded it where he gave up maybe 1 bad or even iffy goal in the first 7 games. He's had 7 in the last 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad