OT: International Hockey Talk vol. 1: WJCs, U18s, IIHF Championships, etc

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
I'm fine with Leonard in Washington or at BC -- either should be suitable for his development. But he's ready. The fact he could have a phenomenal shift at worlds (as he did today) and then not "earn" playing time for another full period shows that the two aren't really linked. He also had another very, very good shift towards the beginning of the third -- but again, it did nothing to up his playing time.

Reactions: DWGie26

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm fine with Leonard in Washington or at BC -- either should be suitable for his development. But he's ready. The fact he could have a phenomenal shift at worlds (as he did today) and then not "earn" playing time for another full period shows that the two aren't really linked. He also had another very, very good shift towards the beginning of the third -- but again, it did nothing to up his playing time.
2 good shifts?! Stop the presses! ;)

Let’s be serious though, his ice time does correlate to his play in the eyes of the coaching staff IMO. They’re not sitting/sheltering him because he’s dominating on ice that’s for sure…

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Great subterfuge here by the Caps.

Ryan: “I’m headed back to BC w the boys!”

Caps: “have fun and work hard, Ryan!! (Quick — who’s our best ambassador for the current team? Chuckie? RIGHT!”)

Ryan: “I’ve been invited to worlds! That’s kick ass, can’t wait to see what that’s all about!!”

Charlie: “I’m gonna take off a little bit, get the engines reset, won’t play at worlds”

Caps: “great plan Charlie (wink, wink)

Fast forward a few weeks:

Caps: “send …..(our guy) up there, take ‘care’ of Lyon….”

Charlie: “what? Alex got hurt mysteriously? My country needs me, I will fly in and help!

Caps: “exxxxxxcellent…..(tents fingers nodding knowingly”

Charlie: “Oh yeah, hey Ryan, nice to meet you—. How’s life in DC, you ask???? Welllll……let me tell you all about it!”

Well executed plan, bringing one young Ryan Leonard to DC!

Last edited:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Nice little spotlight they did before CZE / GBR game. We’re talking about how Chzeks get their offense from blue line. Specifically calling out Fever for being a stud.

Would be nice to see his offense go up a bunch next year. Fever and JC74 looked good as the season went on.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Just so I've got this straight: All of the World Championship games are available in the US through ESPN+, an $11/mo. streaming service that can be purchased on its own or as part of a discounted streaming-service bundle that includes other popular services such as Hulu and/or Disney.

EXCEPT for the WC games featuring Team USA and Canada, which are only available in the US through NHL Network, a third-tier sports channel that does not have its own streaming option, and is only available through outdated/bloated cable, or Fubo/SlingTV (which, IMO, are lesser streaming-cable services when compared to YouTubeTV and Hulu Live). AND, even those limited cases, NHL Network is not part of the normal packages (which generally cost from $40-$120/mo.), but only available as part of a $10-$12/mo. sports package add-on that is bundled with a bunch of garbage.

Does that sound about right?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just so I've got this straight: All of the World Championship games are available in the US through ESPN+, an $11/mo. streaming service that can be purchased on its own or as part of a discounted streaming-service bundle that includes other popular services such as Hulu and/or Disney.

EXCEPT for the WC games featuring Team USA and Canada, which are only available in the US through NHL Network, a third-tier sports channel that does not have its own streaming option, and is only available through cable, Fubo, or SlingTV--and, even those limited cases, is not part of the normal packages (which generally cost from $40-$120/mo.), but only available as part of a $10-$12/mo. sports package add-on that is bundled with a bunch of garbage.

Does that sound about right?
Selling sports/league coverage and then peeling off select games has become a promotional staple for networks.

Even the Orioles had at least one AppleTV exclusive game this year already. On Mr. Splash bobblehead night with the new owner hosing people down.

Reactions: HeyMattyB

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Selling sports/league coverage and then peeling off select games has become a promotional staple for networks.

Even the Orioles had at least one AppleTV exclusive game this year already. On Mr. Splash bobblehead night with the new owner hosing people down.
Call me crazy--or call me a communist--but sometimes I get the sneaking suspicion that maybe capitalism wasn't designed to make life more convenient and affordable for the working man.

BRB, got to go make a spreadsheet to keep track of all the different channels and streaming services I have to subscribe to in order to watch my precious sports teams, cost be damned.

"Sorry kids, but this Christmas, Santa's bringing you a Netflix subscription (so daddy can watch the Chiefs/Steelers game) and a Bleacher Report add-on to Max (so daddy can watch the NHL playoffs in 1080p Dolby Vision). They're the gifts that keep giving (for a limited selection of games per year)."

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Not to mention Netflix came down hard on password sharing so if you go to grandmas and try to log into you Netflix account away from your "home" TV you have to pay for antoher user.

Most the other streamers are more lax with password sharing

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Not to mention Netflix came down hard on password sharing so if you go to grandmas and try to log into you Netflix account away from your "home" TV you have to pay for antoher user.

Most the other streamers are more lax with password sharing
Pretty sure if you bring a chromecast and pair/stream it from your smartphone one is totally fine.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad