Memorial Cup Visitor Guide/Advice

BThumme

Oct 2, 2023
You guys want the Tony's on State street, not fashion sq blvd (by all the hotels). The State Street tony's is a five minute drive away from the arena and has the best overall quality food of the Tony's - better than the Birch Run location, but doesn't do the pound of bacon thing.

Levi's on State street is about 15 minutes away, but they have great food too. Harvey's is next to the hotels and is a bit more upscale, and pretty well regarded.

I'm volunteering as a driver for a bit, but if anyone is coming to Saginaw and needs anything or is in a bind, feel free to send me a message. Happy to try and help out everyone as best I can. I've been shown nothing but hospitality at the past cups I've been to, and hope to reciprocate some of that over the next 10 days.

BThumme

Oct 2, 2023
Just for clarification, this is not the Harvey's chain one finds in Ontario.
Indeed. I also LOL'ed at your East Side Mario's comments. I like to stop there occasionally on our Ontario road trips. My wife is probably sick of it, but I like it.

Also G's Pizzeria Bar & Grill on bay road has pretty good pizza and breadsticks (and beer). It's a completely average all around experience like most places, but I think they have the best pizza, so I'll throw that out there too.

If anyone from out of town wants to meet up for food over the weekend do let me know too.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I had all of these grand plans of putting together an "unofficial" visitor guide for the Memorial Cup in Saginaw but real life got in the way so I'm going to do it a different way. I will monitor this thread and will be your local concierge for anything you might need to know about Saginaw and the Great Lakes Bay Region which includes Bay City, Midland, Frankenmuth, Birch Run, and Mt. Pleasant.

If you are looking for something specific like "Give me a good Mexican restaurant" or "Is this hotel in a good area" or "Where should I play golf" just ask in the thread and people can use this as a FAQ before coming. I've lived in Saginaw my whole life, so I know where to go and where not to go and am frequently in the rest of the region for food/entertainment so I think I can be of help for any visitors who are either coming for the first time or are returning and looking for something new. We have tons of chains in Saginaw so you know what you're getting with those but I can help you find the hidden gems if you want to eat or drink at local places around the region.

There also hasn't been a ton issued by the team so I don't know what the traffic patterns will be downtown or any road closures or things like that. When that info becomes available, I'll be sure to share it here.
Heading from Owen Sound Tuesday thru Thursday, staying at the Ramada on Davenport ( hope it's not sketchy) .
Thinking we will drive to the Dow so we can stash our swag and enjoy the festivities before the games. Hoping to hop a bus on the restaurant loop Wednesday for pre game meal and libations.
Will parking be accessible when we arrive around 4ish Tuesday ?
TIA

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Ramada is totally fine and it's a straight shot to the Dow. I've never stayed there (for obvious reasons) but it's owned by one of big local business/philanthropist families so I'm sure it will be a pleasant stay.

There shouldn't be any issues with parking, the ramp can hold a lot of cars and there's other parking around...as downtown has changed over the last 40 years we have a lot less buildings and a lot more parking lots so there should be plenty of options with no more than a 3-4 block walk if not closer.

I was so proud of our town yesterday...it was so awesome to see so many people downtown, tons of police presence, fireworks, food, games and a Saginaw win to top it all off. Looking forward to hosting more as the week goes on!

EDIT: There's also alcohol sales in both the event park (where the live music is) and in the food truck area and you can walk around in the entire fan fest area with your drinks which is nice.

Reactions: JMCx4

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Ramada is totally fine and it's a straight shot to the Dow. I've never stayed there (for obvious reasons) but it's owned by one of big local business/philanthropist families so I'm sure it will be a pleasant stay.

There shouldn't be any issues with parking, the ramp can hold a lot of cars and there's other parking around...as downtown has changed over the last 40 years we have a lot less buildings and a lot more parking lots so there should be plenty of options with no more than a 3-4 block walk if not closer.

I was so proud of our town yesterday...it was so awesome to see so many people downtown, tons of police presence, fireworks, food, games and a Saginaw win to top it all off. Looking forward to hosting more as the week goes on!

EDIT: There's also alcohol sales in both the event park (where the live music is) and in the food truck area and you can walk around in the entire fan fest area with your drinks which is nice.
Thanks so much .

We are so looking forward to another great stay in Saginaw. Alway very enjoyable, I'm sure you guys will outdo yourselves this time .
Are you attending more games.
We should be easy to spot in our Attack gear !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad