OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, etc...Part VI

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Outlaws getting drubbed again. Different goalie, didn't help. 7-1 Utah Archers at the end of the first quarter.

Glad we got our team back but it's unfortunate they gave us the worst team in the league from last year and rebranded them to the Outlaws. The original Outlaws (2006-2020) had the best franchise winning percentage of any top level pro sports team in the US/Canada (NBA/ABA, NHL/WHA, NFL/AFL, MLB, CFL, MLS, NLL, PLL/MLL, WNBA, NWSL).

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
HOLY CRAP

The Outlaws win 18-17 in OT to stun the defending champion Archers. Rookie 19 year old Brennan O'Neill with 9 points (7 goals, 1 2 pointer, 1 assist) in the game including the OT winner and 5 goals in the 4th to tie it.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
TIL there are two different kinds of lacrosse. @famicommander it feels like we’re about to have a contest for most niche sports interest between you and lacrosse and me and curling
How does one even watch curling? I legitimately have no idea. Is there a pro league with a TV deal? Is it all tournaments like the Olympics and World Games? Lacrosse has two pro leagues and NCAA D1 with their games on the Disney platforms (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN+) so I don't know how niche it really is. It's certainly not close to the big 5 team sports (football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer) but the NLL has been going since 1987 and the PLL/MLL since 2001. Most of them draw better than WNBA or AHL teams (at least until Clark came and elevated the WNBA).

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
How does one even watch curling? I legitimately have no idea. Is there a pro league with a TV deal? Is it all tournaments like the Olympics and World Games? Lacrosse has two pro leagues and NCAA D1 with their games on the Disney platforms (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN+) so I don't know how niche it really is. It's certainly not close to the big 5 team sports (football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer) but the NLL has been going since 1987 and the PLL/MLL since 2001. Most of them draw better than WNBA or AHL teams (at least until Clark came and elevated the WNBA).
It’s a tournament style game, for the pros not as much the local club but even they still have bonspiels. There’s tour events that aren’t as interesting (and just for points for world rankings and the chance to bypass provincials for Canadians) so it’s mostly just Canadian championships, the Worlds and the Olympics. It’s part of the appeal for me really something to tune into for around 6 weeks a year instead of 6-9 months.

Lacrosse is likely quite a bit more mainstream for viewership. Curling (in Canada) could very well see higher participation rates but that’s also partly down to it being something many people can do well into their 60s and 70s. I can think of two guys I’ve ever known that played lacrosse vs at least 10 people who currently curl (quite a few random family friends and relatives picked it up at 50+)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad