Samsonov's Replacement?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They can't score more than 1 playoff goal in games 7s with the current depth and we think they'll be able to do so with a better goalie?

No but with a better goalie you win that game 7 1-0 instead of allowing a soft goal about 80 seconds after Nylander scores..

Not to mention with a better goalie you aren't even playing Boston because a better goalie doesn't shit the bed for 4 straight months and piss away a MINIMUM of 15 points.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would prefer Plan A there. Woll/Hildeby offer enough upside that I'd rather not invest big dollars in a goalie, especially until Tavares is off the books. Goaltending is a need, but there are lots of others that take precedence (namely remaking the D).

So your plan is to go with a #1 that while talented is made of glass, and a backup that has yet to play an NHL game.

You are fired.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Mirtle has recently confirmed the front office sees Woll as part of the plan, so they likely need a vet on a 1-3 year deal capable of eating up games (at least 50ish), especially given Wolls injury history.

Saros likely the Wild card, but he's going to get like 7-8ish million long term, so that's only happening if a core piece is moved out this offseason

Markstrom has 2 years left.

Reactions: TMLife17

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
So your plan is to go with a #1 that while talented is made of glass, and a backup that has yet to play an NHL game.

You are fired.
:laugh:...No, I'm saying Woll and Hildeby as 2/3 offer some upside to begin taking a larger share of the games over the next couple years.

I'd rather not invest +$8 million in a workhorse #1. Would rather go with more of a 1A type on a cheaper, shorter-term deal.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
You aren't winning a cup with those guys as your #1.

Adain Hill happens about once every 10 years on average and he happened last year so It's going to be awhile
I agree with you in premise but what you’re talking about is the gamblers fallacy. The odds don’t chance year to year, like rolling the dice. Just because you rolled 7 20 times in a row doesn’t mean it’s less likely you roll another 7 next roll.

And for the record I’m going for Markstrom with retention. He is in the same boat as Tanev for me and I think both of them can help us win tough playoff games for the next 2 years. After that hopefully we have some future pieces/plans in place to take over.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Leafs should consider signing Anthony Stolarz from Florida as back up and just roll with Justin Woll to see what the Leafs got.

Goaltending is such a crap shoot these days and by the trade deadline they know neither player is good enough then teams like Nashville may trade a goalie with 1 year left like Saros to help for playoffs.

Goalies tend to be easier to trade for value wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad