SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
is our defense that strong next year? beyond gibby and carlisle (presumed OA) we have 2 guys who took turns walking the concourse last year. am i missing something? Evans and BMB have promise but will be tested this year, and we could end up with 2 rookies rounding out the roster if we don't pick up a vet at the import draft or deal assets to bring someone in.

i'm not disagreeing with moving virgilio either, imo we need to make some moves and anybody 2006 or older should be on the table.
No, it's not that strong next year. IMO the goal is to build for the following year.

To start next season, I think it will look something like this:
Carlisle (OA, 04) - Gibson (05)
Evans (06) - IMPORT?
BMB (06) - Solomon (07)
08 - 08

Then at the deadline move Gibby and promote the most deserving from the 3rd line. Is that good enough to contend the following year? Probably not. If we are hoping to contend again in 25-26 we would likely need to bring in an 05 in their OA year to bolster the group.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
still hoping we focus on our '07s at their peak but that makes sense. if the plan is to contend around our '06 crop then moving virgilio is a bit more puzzling to me as he could have been a projected 1st pairing dman for us, and would have played a huge role if Gibby was moved at deadline 2025.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If he had asked for a trade, then not as puzzling. Also, depending on how they believe Evans and BMB will develop, perhaps they saw enough depth at D in the 06 group. Personally, I think Evans can potentially be first pair at 19. Not so sure about BMB.

I am not sure yet that we want to throw our chips in around our 06 group. I think it's gotta be a 'see how things develop this year' kinda scenario.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
looks like the plan is to build around the 07 group.
important for our first and 2nd round picks in this past draft to report to the
greyhounds.
Gibson no doubt will be dealt at the trade deadline next season.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Sakic fan

Sep 23, 2023
No, it's not that strong next year. IMO the goal is to build for the following year.

To start next season, I think it will look something like this:
Carlisle (OA, 04) - Gibson (05)
Evans (06) - IMPORT?
BMB (06) - Solomon (07)
08 - 08

Then at the deadline move Gibby and promote the most deserving from the 3rd line. Is that good enough to contend the following year? Probably not. If we are hoping to contend again in 25-26 we would likely need to bring in an 05 in their OA year to bolster the group.
Virgillio must have wanted a change of scenery. Our D could have been very solid if Virgillio stayed but the staff must have liked what they saw at camp in some prospects. I feel the picks are a nice return but we are so thin up front compared to D prospects it would have been nice to get a forward in return. I think Solomon and Gillen should find their way into the lineup come September. Makes sense to add a veteran D but if we want the young D to learn then they need to play.
I believe we need to add 2 forwards with import picks if possible especially if Cali is not coming, the cupboard seems pretty bare up front.

Reactions: HockeyPops

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
yikes. following up a great '07 draft with no '08 players in the top 3 rounds would be a massive organzational failure, especially when you consider the empty cupboards and lack of recent playoff success to show for it.

the cult can gaslight all they like but continued 2nd round exits aren't contending seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
did they just draft cali without really doing due dilligence? it was known he was thinking ncaa.

i won't be happy if they didn't do their due diligence, but also understand the notion of drafting the best player available.

it's a tough scenario for smaller market teams who have watched "NCAA" guys get picked up in late rounds by the London/Kitchener's of the league, only to magically report to the OHL after scaring away other teams with flimsy ncaa commitments.

it makes league parity non-existent, leading to even more players choosing to play hockey in the United States. if a player fancies himself a top prospect and doesn't get picked up by one of his two "preferred teams", why bother playing in the OHL right?

it's a fine line for a GM to walk, but if neither of our first 2 round picks report then Raftis clearly stumbled well over that line and bombed a very important draft. we'll see where they land.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad