Proposal: STH Meeting || Propose Questions Here (additional jersey info in post #494)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It's also interesting to consider songwriters' different themes.

Townshend, for example, went from a humorous short story-teller and insightful writer about the psychological turmoil of youth to writing more and more about himself, the egomaniac he is.

Ray Davies was obsessed with the unfairness of social and economic classes and how people are hoodwinked by the lures of global capitalism. (The album Arthur is a great example. An allegory that you aren't truly happy slaving away for more material goods despite being brainwashed that way.)

I'd say Zevon was more like Townshend in that he wrote many fictional stories, but also had a growing tendency to write about himself.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I don't mind the Stadium Series jersey and I wouldn't mind having a black jersey again. But I still really love the 2012 WC jersey we wore as a third for a few years. It's one of five Flyers jerseys that I own. Even got compliments on it from people and friends who don't care about hockey.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't mind the Stadium Series jersey and I wouldn't mind having a black jersey again. But I still really love the 2012 WC jersey we wore as a third for a few years. It's one of five Flyers jerseys that I own. Even got compliments on it from people and friends who don't care about hockey.

Yeah, I was disappointed they got rid of that.

I have to imagine that with this third jersey that next year's stadium series jersey will just be the white version of it.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I am glad the organization uses some way advanced tools - because if they actually went "look at Sanheims +/-, look at Haggs hits" like I have read here numerous times, I would have given up

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I am glad the organization uses some way advanced tools - because if they actually went "look at Sanheims +/-, look at Haggs hits" like I have read here numerous times, I would have given up
I'm pretty sure all Holmgren did when trading for AMac and then giving him $5M per season was say "look at his blocked shots."

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
And even though his insanity was fun sometimes, I am glad he got promoted haha
Can't disagree. His insanity was interesting. But it's mind-blowing that you can get "promoted" to President of a roughly $1 billion company and say (paraphrasing) upon the move, "I'm looking forward to learning more about how the financial side works."

There were things I enjoyed about Holmgren. Dry wit. Media disdain. Unpredictability. But look at the assets he inherited when he took over in 2006.
26 year old Gagne in a 40-goal season.
23 year old Pitkanen, who not long ago was a #4 overall draft pick.
Peter Forsberg, who was among the most prized trade deadline assets in history.
Claude Giroux in juniors.
Steve Downie in juniors.
22 year old Jeff Carter.
21 year old Mike Richards.
Hell, 24 year old Umberger.
The #2 overall pick in Van Riemsdyk.
And a ton of cap room to allow the signings of Danny Briere, Kimmo Timonen, Scott Hartnell, and Martin Biron.

I mean, the team he inherited may have stunk despite being a playoff squad under Hitchcock the year before, but you'd be hard-pressed to get a better situation as a new GM.

He turned it into cap hell.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Can't disagree. His insanity was interesting. But it's mind-blowing that you can get "promoted" to President of a roughly $1 billion company and say (paraphrasing) upon the move, "I'm looking forward to learning more about how the financial side works."

There were things I enjoyed about Holmgren. Dry wit. Media disdain. Unpredictability. But look at the assets he inherited when he took over in 2006.
26 year old Gagne in a 40-goal season.
23 year old Pitkanen, who not long ago was a #4 overall draft pick.
Peter Forsberg, who was among the most prized trade deadline assets in history.
Claude Giroux in juniors.
Steve Downie in juniors.
22 year old Jeff Carter.
21 year old Mike Richards.
Hell, 24 year old Umberger.
The #2 overall pick in Van Riemsdyk.
And a ton of cap room to allow the signings of Danny Briere, Kimmo Timonen, Scott Hartnell, and Martin Biron.

I mean, the team he inherited may have stunk despite being a playoff squad under Hitchcock the year before, but you'd be hard-pressed to get a better situation as a new GM.

He turned it into cap hell.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Shawn Tilger took the lions' share of that segment. Holmgren really only chimed in when he could connect it to the on-ice product.

On the other hand, it was the first time I had ever seen Shawn Tilger. It was also the first time I was at one of these things, and I know he's been there in the past.

I really think Holmgren's main job is to just function the same way Ed Snider used to when it was time for Ed Snider to be seen.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
If questions are still allowed:

The bottom 6 (Weal- 3, Raffl- 2, Laughton- 5, Weise- 2, Filp- 8, Lehtera- 3 , Leier- 1) have combined for 24 points since January 23rd (19 games)

Which for 6 players combined that averages too~ .184 PPG for a combined 6 players!!!

With players in the AHL like NAK (.68PPG 40TP), Mike Vecchione (.65PPG 35/54), Danick Martel (.70PPG 31/44), Cole Bardeau (.76PPG 22/29)

Why aren't they getting a shot in a struggling (being the operative word which is an understatement) bottom 6? What do they have to do to get a shot?

Bonus Question:

What is Veteran Leadership and how does it apply to young players that are performing well and not receiving a chance?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Yes, Hextall has said they use various forms of advanced player tracking / stats. There's no question they have access to more data than we plebeians.

This isn't non-linear algebra/control theory / string theory. This is ice hockey, it isn't all that difficult to determine who should be playing.

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
This isn't non-linear algebra/control theory / string theory. This is ice hockey, it isn't all that difficult to determine who should be playing.

Yes I've heard the correct tool for analysis when evaluating our draft picks is to have Homer, Hexy and Hak all in an office with 6 dartboards on the wall. 1 dart in each hand, thrown over your shoulder backwards at the boards. In order for a draft pick to make the team the combined score must be higher than 360 and it's important to note that this only works properly if you use the special evaluation darts which have blunt ends. A draft pick gets an immediate NHL role if either Homer or Hexy throw their darts and they end up in Haks face. Quite simple this hockey analytical thing really. Hashtag f*ck me 6 ways from Sunday backwards because intangibles.......

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If questions are still allowed:

The bottom 6 (Weal- 3, Raffl- 2, Laughton- 5, Weise- 2, Filp- 8, Lehtera- 3 , Leier- 1) have combined for 24 points since January 23rd (19 games)

Which for 6 players combined that averages too~ .184 PPG for a combined 6 players!!!

With players in the AHL like NAK (.68PPG 40TP), Mike Vecchione (.65PPG 35/54), Danick Martel (.70PPG 31/44), Cole Bardeau (.76PPG 22/29)

Why aren't they getting a shot in a struggling (being the operative word which is an understatement) bottom 6? What do they have to do to get a shot?

Bonus Question:

What is Veteran Leadership and how does it apply to young players that are performing well and not receiving a chance?

I think the Q & A is over now, bud lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad