Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
The Oilers allow the fewest high danger chances and are playing great defense...and his save percentage is sub .900. Skinner is an AHL goalie cosplaying as an NHL starter. Play Picard and don't look back.
If the Oilers had a Price-like goalie for what they pay Nurse....cup for sure....we saw a few years ago how a goalie can get you very far....

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
I don't want to get rid of him. He is relatively cheap and outperforming his cap hit (in the regular season).

The problem is that Holland decided to roll the dice on a cheap backup/1B to start 20+ games in the playoffs after already seeing him incapable of that once already.

You don't roll the dice on your goalie with where the Oilers are as an organisation. Kind of baffling Holland wouldn't want to maximise this in his last year, standing pat both on D and in goal despite obvious holes.

Doubt this arrogant clown will accept being a backup on this team, and that’s what he has to be (at least until he actually earns a starter spot). Holland needed to get goaltending insurance, I agree. Not sure how he got fooled by this fraud, maybe the hot streak during the winning streak.

Step #1 is the new GM firing Schwartz into the sun and getting a real goalie coach. Every starter since Smith going and getting outside help is a massive indictment

Reactions: iCanada

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Amazing that you shit on Bouchard for everything but Skinner gets a free pass.
This is completely different.

I'm saying Bouchard isn't elite. (comparing to other top defensemen)

I'm saying Skinner played ok and basically played to what he is. (he's a top 20/25 ish goalie)

It's Holland's fault we have a poor starting goalie. Skinner played a decent game for what he is.

• Haha
Reactions: MessierThanThou

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not my fault Skinner still sucks and will always suck.

You can’t be a starting goaltender and not be able to do the splits. His puck tracking and reaction time and movement are not NHL material.

It’s not going to change, he’s not a athlete
Seems like he can't handle a huge workload either.

Reactions: iCanada

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

You can’t be a starting goaltender and not be able to do the splits. His puck tracking and reaction time and movement are not NHL material.

Yeah, I think this is getting exposed big time. He's a big guy, but not remotely athletic. The other high-end goalies at his size don't have the mobility limitations.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This most basic of points seems to escape his few defenders.

I'd encourage anybody to take a look at how Tretiak revolutionized goaltending and the specific types and amount of training he had to do, to do that.

To be the best possible goalie you can be athleticism, stretching, conditioning, strength, speed is paramount.

Skinner reminds me of the type of Gump Worsely goalie that was found acceptable before any such revolution in goaltending occurred. Like a throwback you never want to see again.

Goalies flopping around throwing themselves at pucks because they can't skate worth a shit and have no mobility is the stuff you expected not to see long after NHL original expansion.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad