TV: Survivor 46

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
yeah, it's a staple of BB and Survivor contracts. A long believed rumor is Albert in SoPa promised to pay another players mortgage for a jury vote (personally don't believe it), and that gave him zero votes.

I do hate the money question though.

I'd like to see CBS expand on that and say you can't share, but you also are not allowed to ask other contestants what they plan to do with the money. I know that's a pipe dream of mine, but let me tell you about another person who had a crazy pipe dream one day. His name was Martin Luther King Jr.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd like to see CBS expand on that and say you can't share, but you also are not allowed to ask other contestants what they plan to do with the money. I know that's a pipe dream of mine, but let me tell you about another person who had a crazy pipe dream one day. His name was Martin Luther King Jr.
Was Love Boat the Reality Show CBS? Maybe you could dig up that contract and give us more concrete answers jks.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Yep, Sash from Survivor Nicaragua allegedly offered Jane's mortgage as well if she voted for him and she went off on him over it. If it did happen, CBS didn't include it in the broadcast, but Jane's vitriol toward him was pretty apparent.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Was Love Boat the Reality Show CBS? Maybe you could dig up that contract and give us more concrete answers jks.
show I was on was Love Cruise and it was on FOX. We did have a very long contract to sign, but this is going on 24 years now so I don't remember anything that was in there. Only thing I remember was the part where we weren't allowed to talk about the show until it was aired which is obviously standard language for all these shows.

Only thing I remember vividly from the casting process was getting tested for every STD known to man when I was in LA for the final round of casting and also getting vaccinated for all sorts of diseases. Getting a Q tip shoved into your penis is not fun, don't let anyone tell you differently. And getting a vaccine shot in your butt cheek also not fun.

• Haha

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
This is not the first time someone asked what you will do with the money, I agree that it is not really in the spirit of the game, but I have no doubt it will be asked again and Kenzie said what they (Q and Maria) wanted to hear. I would respect someone saying 'it would mean a lot to everyone obviously, I won't expand further because I want to be judged on my actions in the game'

But people have received votes from picking the right number, answering about their sex life, ect, at the end of the day the jury can ask whatever they want, this group was bitter and just didn't respect the game as much, which happens as well. This jury was on a power trip and also Kenzie was getting campaigned hard by Tiff in ponderosa , this all part of jury management and Kenzie did a better job of feeding egos and saying the right things, Charlie's answer of donating didn't really seem to land.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Did it seem like the whole jury segment was much shorter than usual? I don't watch all seasons, but it seemed like the contestants only got a very short time to answer direct questions, and not nearly enough time to make their own case to the jury. (and Tiff volunteering to be the timer was true-to-form super obnoxious)

Reactions: shakes the clown

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is not the first time someone asked what you will do with the money, I agree that it is not really in the spirit of the game, but I have no doubt it will be asked again and Kenzie said what they (Q and Maria) wanted to hear. I would respect someone saying 'it would mean a lot to everyone obviously, I won't expand further because I want to be judged on my actions in the game'

But people have received votes from picking the right number, answering about their sex life, ect, at the end of the day the jury can ask whatever they want, this group was bitter and just didn't respect the game as much, which happens as well. This jury was on a power trip and also Kenzie was getting campaigned hard by Tiff in ponderosa , this all part of jury management and Kenzie did a better job of feeding egos and saying the right things, Charlie's answer of donating didn't really seem to land.
I believe the number question was actually a ruse. Greg was gonna vote for Rich no matter what, so whatever number he guessed Greg was gonna say it was the closest. The only other time I remember that being asked was Cambodia which was a call-back to that by Wiggles.

show I was on was Love Cruise and it was on FOX. We did have a very long contract to sign, but this is going on 24 years now so I don't remember anything that was in there. Only thing I remember was the part where we weren't allowed to talk about the show until it was aired which is obviously standard language for all these shows.

Only thing I remember vividly from the casting process was getting tested for every STD known to man when I was in LA for the final round of casting and also getting vaccinated for all sorts of diseases. Getting a Q tip shoved into your penis is not fun, don't let anyone tell you differently. And getting a vaccine shot in your butt cheek also not fun.
Just wikied it. Didn't know that it was the same production company as the Challenge.

And, yeah, it's gonna take a lot of convincing on that Q-tip thing jks.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I believe the number question was actually a ruse. Greg was gonna vote for Rich no matter what, so whatever number he guessed Greg was gonna say it was the closest. The only other time I remember that being asked was Cambodia which was a call-back to that by Wiggles.

Just wikied it. Didn't know that it was the same production company as the Challenge.

And, yeah, it's gonna take a lot of convincing on that Q-tip thing jks.
Bunin-Murray, same legendary production company that brought us Real World, Road Rules and everything that spawned from that.

A couple former Road Rules cast members worked in casting for my show.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bunin-Murray, same legendary production company that brought us Real World, Road Rules and everything that spawned from that.

A couple former Road Rules cast members worked in casting for my show.
True, I watch the Challenge, but I'm at least slightly younger than you since I was in middle school when your show was supposed to premier (hard date to forget, very much Gen X or Millenials where were you when JFK got shot). That truly must have been a strange day. One weird thing I sometimes think about is how BB was still on that day, and the contestants realized something was off due to the lack of planes (they got told eventually)

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
True, I watch the Challenge, but I'm at least slightly younger than you since I was in middle school when your show was supposed to premier (hard date to forget, very much Gen X or Millenials where were you when JFK got shot). That truly must have been a strange day. One weird thing I sometimes think about is how BB was still on that day, and the contestants realized something was off due to the lack of planes (they got told eventually)

I remember that BB. There was debate about whether to tell the contestants and if I recall one of them (Monica, can't believe I remember the name) had a sister I think who was working at the WTC.

It was a crazy day. The night before we had the premier party at Navy Pier in Chicago. The whole cast flew in and they showed the first ep on the IMAX. Afterwards we all did interviews with all the major players, Entertainment Tonight, Extra and all the others. We were told those interviews would play all week. After the party we all went out and partied late into the night. Next morning was 9/11 with entire cast stranded in Chicago. One of my castmates, his sister worked at the Marriot at the WTC. She was late for work that day, but took a while for him to find out she was ok.

I still remember that morning. A castmate called me up and said she was about to get on her plane and was told to get off. I turned on the TV and saw the aftermath of first plane hitting the tower. Called a buddy and was talking to him. I still remember the convo vividly...

Me: I don't think we're going to be on tonight
seconds later plane 2 hits
Me: I don't think we're going to be on for a while

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I remember that BB. There was debate about whether to tell the contestants and if I recall one of them (Monica, can't believe I remember the name) had a sister I think who was working at the WTC.

It was a crazy day. The night before we had the premier party at Navy Pier in Chicago. The whole cast flew in and they showed the first ep on the IMAX. Afterwards we all did interviews with all the major players, Entertainment Tonight, Extra and all the others. We were told those interviews would play all week. After the party we all went out and partied late into the night. Next morning was 9/11 with entire cast stranded in Chicago. One of my castmates, his sister worked at the Marriot at the WTC. She was late for work that day, but took a while for him to find out she was ok.

I still remember that morning. A castmate called me up and said she was about to get on her plane and was told to get off. I turned on the TV and saw the aftermath of first plane hitting the tower. Called a buddy and was talking to him. I still remember the convo vividly...

Me: I don't think we're going to be on tonight
seconds later plane 2 hits
Me: I don't think we're going to be on for a while
True, that's insane. Yeah, I believe Monica's cousin unfortunately passed away, I think the story is she was in tower 2 and went back up to get her purse pre it being hit, and in that timeframe it got hit and then collapsed.

Navy Pier is amazing, I visited Chicago last year for the first time, it's arguably my favorite American city alongside NYC. I'm from Toronto, and I remember the panic related to our buildings, and I vividly remember the fear related to the Sears tower, John Hancock, and the AON center (previously Standard Oil).

Reactions: shakes the clown

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Hated the finale. Hated the winner. Hated how the winner was chosen. Almost turned the show off when someone asked what they would do with the money. I f***ING HATE THAT QUESTION. Would love all 3 to respond the same way and say "It's none of your fvcking business".

Wasted an entire season watching this crap to have it be yet another show that turns into a charity event at the end where the person with the best sob story wins.

I've given up on this show before and I can see myself doing it again. Can't stand the new era. It's garbage.

Kenzie played a great social game. Whether you like it or not Kenzie was well liked. The last few winners have missed having a good social game. It wasn't a sob story.

Reactions: SPV and Rodgerwilco

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Hated the finale. Hated the winner. Hated how the winner was chosen. Almost turned the show off when someone asked what they would do with the money. I f***ING HATE THAT QUESTION. Would love all 3 to respond the same way and say "It's none of your fvcking business".

If someone actually said it's honestly none of your business that might actually get some people's votes lol

Kenzie played a great social game. Whether you like it or not Kenzie was well liked. The last few winners have missed having a good social game. It wasn't a sob story.

It was both, she had a good social game and she brought a sob story in when asked about what she would do with the money, she's been working since she was 15 because she had no choice, doesn't make any money on her business, wants to finally be able to start a family.

Last edited:

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
If someone actually said it's honestly none of your business that might actually get some people's votes lol

It was both, she had a good social game and she brought a sob story in when asked about what she would do with the money, she's been working since she was 15 because she had no choice, doesn't make any money on her business, wants to finally be able to start a family.

Ben said he was gonna spend the money to help his immigrant parents retire and help his friend's non-profit.
Charlie said he was gonna spend the money to help set up his family's future and donate to a variety of charities.
Kenzie said she was gonna spend the money on herself.

Yet Kenzie's the one who has the sob story? Okay...

They were all trying to garner sympathy from the jury. That's the whole point of the question. Kenzie gave the most genuine answer. She didn't try to pander and say, "Oh yeah, I'm giving money to a charity." She said she wanted the money for herself, which is why most people go on the show in the first place.

And she didn't say she doesn't make money on her business. She said she doesn't make money off the chairs that she rents out. There's a bit of a difference between "I make no money" and "I could be making more money than I am."

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Ben said he was gonna spend the money to help his immigrant parents retire and help his friend's non-profit.
Charlie said he was gonna spend the money to help set up his family's future and donate to a variety of charities.

They were all trying to garner sympathy from the jury. That's the whole point of the question. Kenzie gave the most genuine answer. She didn't try to pander and say, "Oh yeah, I'm giving money to a charity." She said she wanted the money for herself, which is why most people go on the show in the first place.

And she didn't say she doesn't make money on her business. She said she doesn't make money off the chairs that she rents out. There's a bit of a difference between "I make no money" and "I could be making more money than I am."

I didn't say anything about Charlie not having a sob story, I was responding to the poster saying that Kenzie didn't have a sob story when she did.

Kenzie said something during that tribal about a business person would have a horrible time looking at her business books because of how bad they are. I have no idea how her business is but she's the one who said it.

Kenzie doesn't bother me at all, I said in my first post I was fine with her winning. Only thing I hated was the cheating allowed by Liz who helped her beat Maria but that's the shows fault for allowing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was not nearly as outraged as a few seasons ago when the cast didn’t want to be beat by a pretty young blonde girl and instead awarded it to someone who played a pretty clearly worse game.

I had no issue with Kenzie. I found her likable and thought she played a top 5 game this season. The best player on a season doesn’t always win, and no one played that great of a game this season. I also felt like Kenzie deserved a lot of credit from making it to the end from starting on arguably the worst tribe ever on the show.

But I thought Charlie deserved to win. If you get a situation where it’s essentially tied for the overall game they played and the jury goes with the more likable person, I understand that. If Q was in the final with Liz and Ben, I wouldn’t even begrudge them as much going with Ben.

I felt though like Charlie got dealt a terrible hand with some of the voting criteria. What is he supposed to say when they ask for a sob story about his life? He shouldn’t be discriminated against because he’s had an easier life. Is this what Survivor has become that you have to have some unusual backstory to your life to get on the show and win? That’s not what it was once billed as. That the jury said they openly considered that is really such a shame, and shows that some of them have the wrong motivations and might not be bitter jurors but are bad jurors.

Lastly, Maria is a snake. f*** her. Hated her the whole season. What a disloyal bitch she was to Charlie. She cost him the game most likely because she was a sore loser.

Reactions: kook10

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

What the f*** is Charlie supposed to say?

He has no sob story. He’s giving the most generic answer because from what it seems like (maybe I’m wrong) he’s had a pretty comfy life so far. Kenzie has had it a little different and she’s probably had that same type of speech keyed and ready in a bunch of situations throughout her life.

Should Charlie say he has no good answer? It’s a tough situation to be in. Most likely lose/lose either way he answers. I don’t think it should be part of the criteria.

Reactions: Peasy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I was not nearly as outraged as a few seasons ago when the cast didn’t want to be beat by a pretty young blonde girl and instead awarded it to someone who played a pretty clearly worse game.

I had no issue with Kenzie. I found her likable and thought she played a top 5 game this season. The best player on a season doesn’t always win, and no one played that great of a game this season. I also felt like Kenzie deserved a lot of credit from making it to the end from starting on arguably the worst tribe ever on the show.

But I thought Charlie deserved to win. If you get a situation where it’s essentially tied for the overall game they played and the jury goes with the more likable person, I understand that. If Q was in the final with Liz and Ben, I wouldn’t even begrudge them as much going with Ben.

I felt though like Charlie got dealt a terrible hand with some of the voting criteria. What is he supposed to say when they ask for a sob story about his life? He shouldn’t be discriminated against because he’s had an easier life. Is this what Survivor has become that you have to have some unusual backstory to your life to get on the show and win? That’s not what it was once billed as. That the jury said they openly considered that is really such a shame, and shows that some of them have the wrong motivations and might not be bitter jurors but are bad jurors.

Lastly, Maria is a snake. f*** her. Hated her the whole season. What a disloyal bitch she was to Charlie. She cost him the game most likely because she was a sore loser.
I don't think Cassidy played a better game in 43. Unless you highly value immunity wins (which Owen had the same amount of, and Gabler won an immunity and fire, if we are factoring in challenges). She was viewed as a passenger in her own alliance. The issue with 43 is the big jury threats cannibalized each other from 8 to 4. Cassidy didn't really drive or dictate anything in the game, and didn't have a social game to make up for that. Gabler at least had a vote he could claim he drove, and how he used that to reshuffle the game from being on the bottom of his pre-merge tribe into a free agent where he realigned with the true power players that season (Jesse and Cody). Whereas Cassidy had no read on where she stood in the game. She thought for some reason Owen was a bigger threat then Gabler and said that publicly in front of the jury (which got looks similar to Liz claiming she was the biggest threat). It wasn't a pretty game or dominant in challenges or obvious strategy, but he made a move and then remained utr until the end. I think Cassidy's game has somehow become one of the most overrated ever.

As for sob story and the money, I don't like it as a viewer. But, it is part of the game as you get to bond with these people over 26/39 days. It's about who you are a juror perceive deserves it based on very loose criteria. The show has always had personal dynamics like this. I can think of quite a few seasons where this dynamic has come into play, even in seasons in the 30s.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think Cassidy played a better game in 43. Unless you highly value immunity wins (which Owen had the same amount of, and Gabler won an immunity and fire, if we are factoring in challenges). She was viewed as a passenger in her own alliance. The issue with 43 is the big jury threats cannibalized each other from 8 to 4. Cassidy didn't really drive or dictate anything in the game, and didn't have a social game to make up for that. Gabler at least had a vote he could claim he drove, and how he used that to reshuffle the game from being on the bottom of his pre-merge tribe into a free agent where he realigned with the true power players that season (Jesse and Cody). Whereas Cassidy had no read on where she stood in the game. She thought for some reason Owen was a bigger threat then Gabler and said that publicly in front of the jury (which got looks similar to Liz claiming she was the biggest threat). It wasn't a pretty game or dominant in challenges or obvious strategy, but he made a move and then remained utr until the end. I think Cassidy's game has somehow become one of the most overrated ever.

As for sob story and the money, I don't like it as a viewer. But, it is part of the game as you get to bond with these people over 26/39 days. It's about who you are a juror perceive deserves it based on very loose criteria. The show has always had personal dynamics like this. I can think of quite a few seasons where this dynamic has come into play, even in seasons in the 30s.
From what I remember, Cassidy was more than a passenger in her alliance. She wasn't the big out front boss of the alliance, but she was a key part of it and wasn't just taking instructions on who to vote for. I would say she was a little like Kenzie with her agency within the game. I felt like the weird situation with Carla overshadowed that she played a solid social game. She seemed to get along with virtually everyone else on that season, and it seemed like she got along with Carla for a long time, and that she didn't do a whole lot wrong to cause Carla to have such a vendetta against her.

I didn't dislike Gabler. To me, he was a slightly better version of Ben. He was likable and got along well with almost everyone. He had no real agency in the game. Wasn't a complete dud in that they were dragging him along to the end, but he was kind of just there. They keyed him in on most things and weren't trying to target him, but he wasn't viewed as a threat to anyone and he wasn't really part of much of the decision making process.

I'm not saying there was a huge difference between the two. From my rough memory, maybe Cassidy was like the 5th best on that season and Gabler like the 9th best. But it felt like, using a term you used last week, "on paper" that Cassidy played the better game and the jury awarded it to Gabler because Cassidy wasn't who they wanted "representing the season" as the winner. A lot of that felt petty, personal, and bitter. It wasn't completely that this season, but it was kind of similar in that they seemed to know who played the better game "on paper", and there wasn't any huge villain in the running, like a Russell, and they simply went with who they preferred to "represent the season" as the winner with maybe the only touch of bitterness or pettiness coming from Maria, who lets face it probably did decide the winner based on her vote.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
From what I remember, Cassidy was more than a passenger in her alliance. She wasn't the big out front boss of the alliance, but she was a key part of it and wasn't just taking instructions on who to vote for. I would say she was a little like Kenzie with her agency within the game. I felt like the weird situation with Carla overshadowed that she played a solid social game. She seemed to get along with virtually everyone else on that season, and it seemed like she got along with Carla for a long time, and that she didn't do a whole lot wrong to cause Carla to have such a vendetta against her.

I didn't dislike Gabler. To me, he was a slightly better version of Ben. He was likable and got along well with almost everyone. He had no real agency in the game. Wasn't a complete dud in that they were dragging him along to the end, but he was kind of just there. They keyed him in on most things and weren't trying to target him, but he wasn't viewed as a threat to anyone and he wasn't really part of much of the decision making process.

I'm not saying there was a huge difference between the two. From my rough memory, maybe Cassidy was like the 5th best on that season and Gabler like the 9th best. But it felt like, using a term you used last week, "on paper" that Cassidy played the better game and the jury awarded it to Gabler because Cassidy wasn't who they wanted "representing the season" as the winner. A lot of that felt petty, personal, and bitter. It wasn't completely that this season, but it was kind of similar in that they seemed to know who played the better game "on paper", and there wasn't any huge villain in the running, like a Russell, and they simply went with who they preferred to "represent the season" as the winner with maybe the only touch of bitterness or pettiness coming from Maria, who lets face it probably did decide the winner based on her vote.
I don't think Cassidy played a better game on paper, unless you value immunity wins, which no jury really does unless they win out like say Mike Holloway where its undeniable. Gabler actually drove a vote, replaced himself in a better position, then played a pretty solid defensive game of keeping votes off him, and he spoke to that.

Gabler's move which he could point too was he was at the bottom of Baka at merge, reshuffled the pecking order knowing he had to idol to burn the next week if things turned on him (since it had an expiry date, and the played free agent). Played free-agent, and then identified where power resided (Jesse and Cody). Following that he worked closely with them (although badly edited), but he was in a tight 3 with them.

The thing the edit didn't really capture was, outside Owen and James, most of the jury didn't vibe with Cassidy, from pretty much all exit press outside maybe Jeanine. Whereas they generally liked Gabler. I think liked Owen, but they didn't respect is game at all since he made nothing happen. Cassidy was pretty much on the bottom of her merge tribe with Ryan, and stayed there all game, and was again at the bottom of the Jesse/Cody/Karla partnership (which not realizing both Jesse and Cody were closer to Gabler than her).

Cassidy made a ton of missteps. She overvalued her position on a strategic level, she didn't drive any one else's vote, you absolutely make the jury bitter if you claim their moves as your own. Gabler basically understood where he stood, stood up for why he made the moves he did, but most importantly, spoke to every juror on how he worked with them.

I think Jesse/Cody/Karla played better games. James played more from upfront but that can easily get you burned. Noelle would have been a massive jury threat and had a cool move.

I'd say Gabler's game was more impressive, especially when he basically roped Owen and Cassidy in on that exact final 3 which for somereason was never show. My guess is editors were pissed they didn't get the Jesse win. I think a lot of people confused Cassidy's game with Erika who only won a bit prior, but Erika actually took over the end game, Cassidy didn't really.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Although Charlie played the better game, I'm fine with Kenzie winning..
But Maria... what a b with an itch. I didn't like her since maybe mid-season and to betray her #1 that way because she couldn't take it that he beat her out. She showed her true colors.

Reactions: Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad