Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Lekkerimaki cut from the Sweden squad and a player a year younger Felix Sorum made it. Obviously it's 1 tourney but Lekkerimaki has a lot of maturing to do in his game He's very up and down with consistency.
Sorum made it (so far) because his game can work on a 4th line. Lek is an offensive player more suited for the top 6. They have different skill sets that kept Sorum on the team.

Reactions: wetcoast

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Just looking at Sweden's roster and Unger-Sorum is the only guy under 24. So it's not like Lekk got beat out by a bunch of young guys.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Lekkerimaki cut from the Sweden squad and a player a year younger Felix Sorum made it. Obviously it's 1 tourney but Lekkerimaki has a lot of maturing to do in his game He's very up and down with consistency.

It makes absolutely 0 sense how Sorum made the team, but yet the World Juniors MVP and breakout player of the year in the SHL in Lekkerimacki gets cut .

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Just looking at Sweden's roster and Unger-Sorum is the only guy under 24. So it's not like Lekk got beat out by a bunch of young guys.

But it’s still a really impulsive decision , this reminds me of the 2006 World Juniors when Team
USA cut Bobby Ryan from the main roster less than a year after he was drafted right behind Crosby and destroyed junior hockey ,

I understand the situations are very different , but it still makes 0 sense

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It doesn't shock me that Lekerimakki has been sidelined or the World Hockey Championships.....I figured he'd end up on a taxi squad, rather than being cut altogether.

Looking back, it's kind of too bad the Swedish Hockey officials even invited him to training camp in the first place. He could have learned a lot more just staying in Abbotsford and helping their playoff run.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Let's hope that their is a lesson to be learned for the scouts of the VANCOUVER CANUCKS, (I don't know why my computer put that in capital letters) Logan Stankoven a PPG WHL junior player is probably a much smarter bet than a PPG kid playing in the Belarus league.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's hope that their is a lesson to be learned for the scouts of the VANCOUVER CANUCKS, (I don't know why my computer put that in capital letters) Logan Stankoven a PPG WHL junior player is probably a much smarter bet than a PPG kid playing in the Belarus league.
Yep.....Jim Benning's parting draft gift to the organization. But he did it so many times over the years; and traded so many draft picks despite being a lottery team year after year; that all you can really do is sigh and move on.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yep.....Jim Benning's parting draft gift to the organization. But he did it so many times over the years; and traded so many draft picks despite being a lottery team year after year; that all you can really do is sigh and move on.

This you three months ago?

It's the Matt Phillips syndrome......a dominant player at the AHL-level, but in the NHL he's not big enough, or strong enough to play center. So he has to try and make it on the wing.

How well has he adapted? Well he was on waivers again and picked up by the Pens.....his third NHL team in less than a year.

Not saying Stankoven will follow in his footsteps, but the jury's still out. Sooner or later posters will figure it out that AHL stats for smaller players, don't really mean that much.

• Haha
Reactions: John Belushi

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This you three months ago?
Yep....no doubt I blew it with Stankoven.....I looked at his 5,8 stature on Hockey DB and seriously questioned him making an impact on the NHL. But watching him in this series, he's built like a fire plug and he's actually winning puck battles.

But I guess that's why I'm not a scout.....trying to project what a player like Stankoven will do at the next level is an art that few actual scouts possess. And obviously Dallas Stars might have the best scouting staff in all of hockey.

If the Canucks drafted a guy like that, he'd probably turn into another Connor Lockhart.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yep....no doubt I blew it with Stankoven.....I looked at his 5,8 stature on Hockey DB and seriously questioned him making an impact on the NHL. But watching him in this series, he's built like a fire plug and he's actually winning puck battles.

But I guess that's why I'm not a scout.....trying to project what a player like Stankoven will do at the next level is an art that few actual scouts possess. And obviously Dallas Stars might have the best scouting staff in all of hockey.

If the Canucks drafted a guy like that, he'd probably turn into another Connor Lockhart.

You just had to watch him in the world juniors to be a believer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad