News: Update: Jim Rutherford is about to cook! 1st + Prospect in play (Post #177)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What would you offer for Schenn? I would assume it would have to be a decent offer to get Armstrong to move him after making him captain, but I would t expect it to need to be anything over the top. The Blues could take salary back and are looking to rebuild the blueline for the future.

I'm not really sure. If the Blues are really set on rebuilding the blueline for the future, i'm not sure Vancouver would have the right pieces available to make it work.

Willander wouldn't be on the table, and after that...the Canucks defence prospect pool has some decent depth of potential "depth guys" but the only other really "higher end" piece would be Hunter Brzustewicz. He's been absolutely lighting it up in the OHL this year. I'd probably make him available if that was of interest. Other Canucks fans might disagree.

Would probably be preferrable to work something around draft picks or a forward prospect.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If he can’t get that player to carry a second pairing 20+ minutes a night, he’s gonna overload on role players.

A Tanev on D and a player like Sharangovich up front, will be best case scenario. That’s the two types of players they need, IF they can’t get that dman I mentioned. Flames likely won’t move Sharangovich, but if you’re sending Grade A assets, you better get what you’re paying for.

Doesn’t have to be him with his breakout season, but someone who plays his style. They’re out there. Maybe not as many goals, but the rest of his game. Thats what they need.

The type of forward who’s going to win battles, hard to move off the puck, will throw his body around, but who can also play in their Top 6 with skilled forwards. Sharangovich can play up and down the lineup, and give them some really hard minutes in a playoff series. Is he gonna give them what Barbashev gave Vegas last year? Not the whole package, but he can do a lot of those things.

Tanev adds another higher end role player on D. Like I said, if they can’t get someone to carry a pair, they better reinforce with another role player (who’s hard to play against) and hope they can wear down opposing D-Cores, before their top pairing is worn down. Having another forward like Sharangovich, also helps in that department.

It’s how you win playoff rounds. Wear down the opposing D-Core, and capitalize on their mistakes. It’s why it’s so important to have TWO pair carrying Dmen. That’s 45-50 minutes a night, compared to 20-25.

It’s why Vegas was so elite last year. Nobody could come close to wearing their D-Core down, but by Game 3, they’d already started wearing their opponent down. Game 2 in two cases.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Laughton is another one that would be high on my list of targets. Same deal as Schenn, even if it's as a bit of a "poor man's Schenn" in terms of offensive upside. His contract would be a lot easier to manage. But still brings a ton of that versatility to play up and down the lineup in different roles depending on how they want to run things any given night.
I believe a 2nd rounder and a 4th OR a prospect should do it.

If the Canucks need to dump a contract to make the cap work Flyers would probably looking at one of

C Aatu Räty / RD Hunter Brustewicz plus a pick.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I believe a 2nd rounder and a 4th OR a prospect should do it.

If the Canucks need to dump a contract to make the cap work Flyers would probably looking at one of

C Aatu Räty / RD Hunter Brustewicz plus a pick.

I'd walk away pretty darn happy with Raty and a Pick for Laughton.

Cap-wise, it's a bit tricky. Like everyone else, Canucks are certainly very tight to the cap. Even Laughton's very reasonable $3M is going to require some gymnastics to make it work. Not sure the Canucks necessarily have any particular contracts that they actually would want to "dump" in that respect though. It might have to lean on some sort of deal swapping Myers elsewhere for a cheaper version to make it work, but even that...i'm not sure they want to break up, as one of their few natural RHD who is somewhat competent. If they can swap him for a cheaper similarly competent or better RHD somewhere, that'd probably be the easiest way to fit Laughton's $3M in at the deadline.

The other trick is, because of the term remaining on Laughton (a positive) imo, i very much doubt Philly would be looking to retain on him to make it work that way.

Alvin and Co. have been pretty savvy at worming their way around the salary cap navigating a super tight situation though. So i have some faith that they could figure it out...somehow, even if it does require multiple steps and different deals to get it workable.

It does feel to me like there could be a deal to be made there. That's probably the sort of market the Canucks are realistically going to fall within. In terms of acquisition cost, lower cap number, and the utility to work in multiple spots in the lineup. He also just screams "plug 'n play" fit with Tocchet's system to me.

Reactions: BackWithaVengeance

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
I'd walk away pretty darn happy with Raty and a Pick for Laughton.

Cap-wise, it's a bit tricky. Like everyone else, Canucks are certainly very tight to the cap. Even Laughton's very reasonable $3M is going to require some gymnastics to make it work. Not sure the Canucks necessarily have any particular contracts that they actually would want to "dump" in that respect though. It might have to lean on some sort of deal swapping Myers elsewhere for a cheaper version to make it work,
The obvious answer here would be making the deal something like:

Laughton + Walker <---> Myers, Raty, picks (2nd)

Without any retention, this would send 0.35M cap to PHI, so retention should be possible if that would make a significant difference to PHI

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The obvious answer here would be making the deal something like:

Laughton + Walker <---> Myers, Raty, picks (2nd)

Without any retention, this would send 0.35M cap to PHI, so retention should be possible if that would make a significant difference to PHI

That'd be the straightforward way to make the cap work.

Problem is, i don't actually see Walker <---> Myers as an upgrade. Especially given the size difference and that ability to play more minutes in some situations. I kind of doubt the Canucks organization see it as a real upgrade either.

The more "ideal" scenario might be...a separate deal to swap Myers+ with the Flames for Tanev. Which carves out a solid chunk of cap space. Then make the deal for Laughton, without including Walker and Myers. But that's probably a pipe dream. Especially if the Flames still think they're "in it".

This deadline is gonna be real interesting, how teams navigate this cap gridlock. I think it's even worse than last year where teams got really creative with things. Of course, all sorts of things can also end up happening with LTIR cushions between now and then as well.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
That'd be the straightforward way to make the cap work.

Problem is, i don't actually see Walker <---> Myers as an upgrade. Especially given the size difference and that ability to play more minutes in some situations. I kind of doubt the Canucks organization see it as a real upgrade either.

The more "ideal" scenario might be...a separate deal to swap Myers+ with the Flames for Tanev. Which carves out a solid chunk of cap space. Then make the deal for Laughton, without including Walker and Myers. But that's probably a pipe dream. Especially if the Flames still think they're "in it".

This deadline is gonna be real interesting, how teams navigate this cap gridlock. I think it's even worse than last year where teams got really creative with things. Of course, all sorts of things can also end up happening with LTIR cushions between now and then as well.
Yeah, I wasn't thinking of Walker as an upgrade on Myers, just a way to reallocate cap to upgrade significantly at 2C, boost the PK, etc... D is still solid after a Myers-Walker swap, VAN still has lots of size, especially when Soucy gets back

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
If he can’t get that player to carry a second pairing 20+ minutes a night, he’s gonna overload on role players.

A Tanev on D and a player like Sharangovich up front, will be best case scenario. That’s the two types of players they need, IF they can’t get that dman I mentioned. Flames likely won’t move Sharangovich, but if you’re sending Grade A assets, you better get what you’re paying for.

Doesn’t have to be him with his breakout season, but someone who plays his style. They’re out there. Maybe not as many goals, but the rest of his game. Thats what they need.

The type of forward who’s going to win battles, hard to move off the puck, will throw his body around, but who can also play in their Top 6 with skilled forwards. Sharangovich can play up and down the lineup, and give them some really hard minutes in a playoff series. Is he gonna give them what Barbashev gave Vegas last year? Not the whole package, but he can do a lot of those things.

Tanev adds another higher end role player on D. Like I said, if they can’t get someone to carry a pair, they better reinforce with another role player (who’s hard to play against) and hope they can wear down opposing D-Cores, before their top pairing is worn down. Having another forward like Sharangovich, also helps in that department.

It’s how you win playoff rounds. Wear down the opposing D-Core, and capitalize on their mistakes. It’s why it’s so important to have TWO pair carrying Dmen. That’s 45-50 minutes a night, compared to 20-25.

It’s why Vegas was so elite last year. Nobody could come close to wearing their D-Core down, but by Game 3, they’d already started wearing their opponent down. Game 2 in two cases.
The only way I see them not adding a major piece, is because 1 isn't available.

JR is a known gunslinger who's very respected around the league.

He was given a week exclusive window to aquire Hronek and was given priority despite being in division on the Zadorov deal.
If Guentzel or Lindholm are available and he wants one of them he will get him.

As far as defence goes unless a top guy is available I'd bet my ass that we don't get a guy like Tanev. People can say what they want but our coaches love Myers, Cole Zadorov and Soucy and Tanev would be in that mix, they likely get a depth piece in case of injury. Our d is big fast and come playoffs Quinn and Hronek will likely play elevated minutes.

The main priority is a 2c or a top line winger, they are open about that and for the right fit (extension or term) Willander is likely the only truly untouchable.
Like most fan bases nuck fans are far too attached to guys years away so you will see shit offers from some of them but like I've said I'd move Lekkeremaki in a heartbeat for a Guentzel and pretty sure JR and Alvin would as well.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
may i interest you in a Monahan for Podkolzin swap
Podz is my favourite forward prospect and I will be crushed if he's moved. Some have soured on him but I'm old enough to remember when we traded Neely another late blooming PF.

He was on fire to start the season in Abby until he got concussed but I hope at least management saw what the finished product could look like.
I think Sean ends up on the Avs or Bruins. I think Vancouver has two guys in Guentzel and Lindholm they will push hard for.

If Vancouver gets Lindholm before the tdl which is JR's M.O it could benefit the Habs since Sean likely becomes more coveted.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I have 0 doubt in my mind that the Canucks are about to pull off a Blockbuster Trade

They may very well be adding depth players as well but brace youself for a massive trade.

Quite possibly for a player that we didnt expect would be traded is whom Vancouver might be targeting.

Reactions: David71

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Podz is my favourite forward prospect and I will be crushed if he's moved. Some have soured on him but I'm old enough to remember when we traded Neely another late blooming PF.

He was on fire to start the season in Abby until he got concussed but I hope at least management saw what the finished product could look like.
I think Sean ends up on the Avs or Bruins. I think Vancouver has two guys in Guentzel and Lindholm they will push hard for.

If Vancouver gets Lindholm before the tdl which is JR's M.O it could benefit the Habs since Sean likely becomes more coveted.
It would be nice to see Podkolzin on a team that wants him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad