Valeri Nichushkin placed in NHLPA assistance program stage 3 - suspended without pay for min. 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
There's no way his teammates on the Avs want him back after this is the second time this has happened 2 playoffs in a row.

Of course I hope he gets help but man.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Dallas looked like team to beat anyways but massive blow for Colorado and this guys career.

Sucks to see, hope he gets the help he needs he’s a hell of a player

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Have to wonder if Colorado moves on from him. I could even see them opting to terminate his contract since, if I'm not mistaken, they'd be allowed to do so since he apparently violated a drug test.

You hope for the guy to overcome this but he's been given a lot of chances by the Avs.

Reactions: Seattle Totems

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If you don't think having to source narcotics constantly in different cities, to stave off withdrawals, while hiding it from teammates you are constantly around and doing everything else required to be an NHL player, you're delusional. Sure, there's people who are functional addicts, but not many are able to be at the top of their field.
If you don't think it's incredibly easy for millionaires to buy drugs and use drugs and if you think they actually are hiding it diligently from everyone - you are the delusional one. It's way more difficult and requires way more discipline to be at the top of your field and not be an addict to something.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
A. It is illegal so the NHL shouldn’t just ignore it.

2. If they were aware of his illegal drug use, ignored it and say he crashed his car into a group of pedestrians after a game, the NHL would be paying out a likely 8 or 9 figure settlement.

D. He is putting himself and his body at risk (fentanyl is cutting down people in their prime on a daily basis).
also, what if he has an incident on the ice? Like he goes crazy and injuries someone, or even worse, what if he collapses/faints and it all comes out that the NHL knew about his drug issues. Think of all the liability issues that would result from that.

These programs are not only for player protection but protecting the NHL itself. This is his 3rd strike. The punishment fits, especially given the conditions of returning from previous assistance stages. We can all pity him and say addiction sucks just move on, but at some point addiction screws your life and the people around you can't ignore it. Shitty situation all around.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This thread is lacking a lot of empathy.
Hope he gets help so he can stop throwing away his great life and talent and screwing over his team who gave him millions of dollars to do things like not get kicked out of the playoffs for drugs.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
This guy needs serious help and less access to millions of dollars in cash

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
This thread is lacking a lot of empathy.
A lot of people get into party drugs and keep doing them. NHL has basically normalized them in the last decade. Look for there to be a scandal like there was in baseball in the 80s as soon as public view of drug use becomes less lenient (it’s already happening).

Yes addiction is disease but how about not experimenting with stuff that is known to be addictive in the first place.

Reactions: Thechozen1

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
If you don't think it's incredibly easy for millionaires to buy drugs and use drugs and if you think they actually are hiding it diligently from everyone - you are the delusional one. It's way more difficult and requires way more discipline to be at the top of your field and not be an addict to something.
Go read or watch the video on former NBA player Chris Herren and get back to me. 🙄

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Talk about a gunshot to the f***** chest. You can't replace a guy like Nichushkin, I really wish things didn't have to go this way but addiction is a serious monster for a lot of people. Just hate to see it as a fan and as a person

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Tbh when I saw the headline for a 6 month suspension I assumed it was PEDs, I forgot you could get suspended for testing positive for other types of drugs multiple times.

Stage 4 of the program would cost him at least a year, if he tested positive again. The threat of losing a player for that long is a lot of baggage. I hope he's able to turn things around in the next 6+ months, who knows many more opportunities he'll have.

Last edited:

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Have to wonder if Colorado moves on from him. I could even see them opting to terminate his contract since, if I'm not mistaken, they'd be allowed to do so since he apparently violated a drug test.

You hope for the guy to overcome this but he's been given a lot of chances by the Avs.
Hope the dude gets help. Also hope he’s done with the avs. They’ve been very good to him and this is the second playoffs in a row he’s screwed them….

I have empathy for him but do not want him on this team anymore, don’t care the circumstances.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
A lot of people get into party drugs and keep doing them. NHL has basically normalized them in the last decade. Look for there to be a scandal like there was in baseball in the 80s as soon as public view of drug use becomes less lenient (it’s already happening).

Yes addiction is disease but how about not experimenting with stuff that is known to be addictive in the first place.
That would require the concept of responsibility, which is taboo apparently now. Like how Nichushkin was responsible to his club and his teammate when he signed that contract.

It's not like these guys have biological predispositions that make them extra vulnerable, like native americans who genetically cannot process alcohol - even though I am aware that growing up in Russia in the 90's wasn't a good environment, there's still a dimension here that he has to own.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
A lot of self righteous folks were ready to bury him it seems.
Hope they never have to deal with these issues directly because it isn't as easy as just turning it off and it being the end of the fight.

I just hope for the best outcome for him and his young family.
You can have empathy for someone and not want to deal with them anymore…

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Guy is a GTA character.. You're either getting a stone cold killer (metaphor) in the playoffs... or he's balls deep in foreign cars, foreign women, drugs, and guns. High risk high reward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad