• Dal in 6

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Dal in 7

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
My guess is that Avs would go "own rental" route with Mikko next year even if they do plan to move on. As I've mentioned before, there is no shortage of examples of bringing key players to the brink of UFA status (Landy, Nichushkin). There has been something off with Mikko this year in particular and maybe it gets fixed in the summer, especially since it's a contract year.
Mikkos contract negotiations last time seemed difficult and gave me Marner/Nylander/O’Reilly vibes. I was disappointed with the term, the AAV turned out to be fair at the time and good in hindsight.

However I am quite sure Rantanen will stick around.

—-

Sorry for the off topic, my intent was to find motivation not only for me but also for other board members to watch next game.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
50?

It would be 100 if I was GM.

Quick retool around 29/8 with loads of depth rather than a top heavy roster.
That would be my plan as well.

JD-MacK-X *If JD gives continues to give a good discount, I'm not talking league minimum but it's got to be less than or around Lehky's deal at most.
Landy-Mitts-Lehky *If Landy is back, this gives elite shutdown defense with decent scoring otherwise it gives another X
Wood-Colton-O'Connor *Give them a chance again with a healthy LOC
X-Trenin-Kovalenko *I'd keep Yakov for the physicality...I think we need more in the regular season as well)

Toews-Makar
G-Manson *No reason to trade G if Rants is moved and we can move Manson if we find a suitable replacement. If not, find a way to use his physicality until he walks in FA.
X-X *Behrens and/or Malinski/cheap vet(s)

I'm assuming we'll be getting NHL talent of some sort back as well in the Rants trade. I don't think it can be purely futures, nobody could afford that and I doubt very much we'd want that. But at this point without know the list of teams most interested it's hard to say who/what would be the centerpiece NHL talent coming back. Got to have that partner to dance and while I imagine there is 31 interested teams, there are not 31 teams that would actually do it even if they could.

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Mikkos contract negotiations last time seemed difficult and gave me Marner/Nylander/O’Reilly vibes. I was disappointed with the term, the AAV turned out to be fair at the time and good in hindsight.

However I am quite sure Rantanen will stick around.

—-

Sorry for the off topic, my intent was to find motivation not only for me but also for other board members to watch next game.
The only thing I can tell you is that - even though it looks extremely bleak right now - it also looked that way amongst most fans before the Winnipeg series.

Then the team seemed to flick a switch and they were dominant. Could they possibly do that again? I guess we'll see. I do believe that when we play our best we are extremely hard to beat but we haven't been at our best at all in round #2 so far.

As far as Rantanen goes, our GM knows what's up and if we're eliminated tomorrow night, you can bet your lifesavers that MacFarland is going to sign all the players he wants to keep and then use the 'cap' as an excuse to trade #96 out before having to actually pay him more money on a new contract when he doesn't even deserve the amount he's getting on his current one.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The only thing I can tell you is that - even though it looks extremely bleak right now - it also looked that way amongst most fans before the Winnipeg series.

Then the team seemed to flick a switch and they were dominant. Could they possibly do that again? I guess we'll see. I do believe that when we play our best we are extremely hard to beat but we haven't been at our best at all in round #2 so far.

As far as Rantanen goes, our GM knows what's up and if we're eliminated tomorrow night, you can bet your lifesavers that MacFarland is going to sign all the players he wants to keep and then use the 'cap' as an excuse to trade #96 out before having to actually pay him more money on a new contract when he doesn't even deserve the amount he's getting on his current one.
We were at our best IMO due to three reasons:

1) Nichushkin and Lehkonen were dominating every single shift. Well, there's no more Nichushkin and Lehkonen looks like he's playing hurt, which makes sense since he appeared to injure his arm in game 2.

2) Cale Makar dominance. Well, not only has Makar been neutered offensively entirely, he also looks HORRIBLE defensively again. The 1st round was a reprieve from the regular season but he's back to looking like Tyson Barrie.

3) Bottom six depth scoring. Through 4 games against Winnipeg the 2nd-4th lines scored 8 goals. This series? They have scored 4 goals. So the production has been cut in half. Now I wasn't expecting them to continue dominating BUT with the clear inability of the top line to produce offensively, these guys cannot afford to go silent.

We'll see. I think Dallas absolutely dominates game 5 and sends the whimpering Avs into the Summer with a blowout loss.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That doesn't do anything. Plus, they play even better when he's out of the lineup like in last year's playoffs.

You gotta hit #4 hard and often and Tanev as well. Colton's hit last night was the only thing he's done all series but was a step in the right direction.

It's so weird. We acquired these guys to be hard to play against and it's almost as if they feel like they need to be skill guys on this team... or they just aren't being coached right. WTF...

Colton
Wood
Trenin
Duhaime

We should be annihilating their D and instead most of the time, we're barely engaging physically. To me, that's a coaching issue. These guys are scared to take penalties or something...
I wouldn’t blame the coach directly for those guys not playing crash and bang hockey. Anytime Colton has pushed the envelope and gotten in trouble Bednar has steadfastly defended him and flat out said that’s exactly how he wants him to play.

That said…I do think they’re scared a bit of taking penalties. Because their PK sucks. And THAT I pin on the coach (also, Georgie IIRC is really bad statistically on the PK, always has been).

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
It would be classic AVS to somehow win Game 5 only to get eliminated in Game 6 at home....:laugh:

Or the maximum punishment: We win Game 5+6, only to lose another Game 7 to DeBoer...:laugh:

But Nope...Lets stay realistic:
This one is over tonight. I have no real hope that this team can pull out a performance good enough to win this game.

They will come out motivated and with some pride (i hope so!), but as soon as Dallas gets the first goal, it all will be crashing down and the main concern of our team will be to get out there without further injuries that could annoy the summer vacation even more.

What happened on monday with that russian guy and Toews was the final straw to this team and season.

Reactions: Turbonium

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Going back to last season, Colorado has scored the 1st goal of the game in only 3 of their previous 16 playoff games.

It likely won't be 4 tomorrow.

This is Sacco era stuff from the team. They NEVER start games well.
It’s been a problem all season. They have the second-most comeback victories in the league for a reason.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
It would be classic AVS to somehow win Game 5 only to get eliminated in Game 6 at home....:laugh:

Or the maximum punishment: We win Game 5+6, only to lose another Game 7 to DeBoer...:laugh:

But Nope...Lets stay realistic:
This one is over tonight. I have no real hope that this team can pull out a performance good enough to win this game.

They will come out motivated and with some pride (i hope so!), but as soon as Dallas gets the first goal, it all will be crashing down and the main concern of our team will be to get out there without further injuries that could annoy the summer vacation even more.

What happened on monday with that russian guy and Toews was the final straw to this team and season.
You have it wrong in what would be classic Avs. They win three in a row finally getting over the DeBoer and Game 7 hump before being swept by the Nucks would be the most classic Avs move. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Fully expecting to wake up tomorrow to the worst playoff loss in Avs history. At least I'll be sleeping through it I guess.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Cogliano and Jack Johnson, I love those guys. Cogliano was a great mentor for our cup winning team. Everytime I see Jack Johnson on the bench or in locker room footage he seems like an awesome guy. Both these guys make me happy in a similar way as Bellemare and especially Calvert did.

Trenin and Duhaime are great bottom 6 forwards.
Trenin, yes. Duhaime? Not so much.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Expecting a monster performance from Rantanen, after a Finnish journalist called him out (and MacK and Makar) for disappearing in the last 3 games.

No, it was not Lehky's dad this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad