Series Discussion: Who'd ya rather?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I have some respect for what those teams bring to the table. But none of them strike any fear into me. Like, at all.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
As a Stars fan I don't want to play the Jets but it looks like it's gonna happen.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was a four and out scenario, or a 4-1 after the Jets go up 3-0. While the Stars may have the edge in goaltending, everything else is not close especially with a healthy Jets blueline. Dallas' somewhat no-name defense has played well, but for a team that can't score goals vs a team that scores alot of them I'm not confident it will be enough.

A couple victories against the Jets in the regular season doesn't prove a whole lot to me.

Reactions: Pongs21

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
As a Stars fan I don't want to play the Jets but it looks like it's gonna happen.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was a four and out scenario, or a 4-1 after the Jets go up 3-0. While the Stars may have the edge in goaltending, everything else is not close especially with a healthy Jets blueline. Dallas' somewhat no-name defense has played well, but for a team that can't score goals vs a team that scores alot of them I'm not confident it will be enough.

A couple victories against the Jets in the regular season doesn't prove a whole lot to me.

Not to sound like I'm dismissing your team, but I do agree that Dallas is the best-case scenario for the Jets in the playoffs. It's a team that the Jets have usually done well against.

That said, it's not guaranteed that it will be the matchup by any means. Nashville keeps winning lately. Our game against them on Saturday will be big.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg

Surprised to hear a Stars fan say that. The Stars have basically crushed us in underlying metrics this year... Or am I wrong?

The game on Monday will be a playoff primer, both teams know there's an increasingly strong chance they'll meet in the first round. Again, there usually isn't a whole lot of shifting in the standings this time of year.

Even if the Jets lose to the Preds on Saturday, they still have a game in hand on them.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
in order id rather play

Arizona, Dallas, St Louis

I think STL is a better scoring/offensive version of MIN. I dont think Binnington is some great talent but they make his job really easy with team D

DREGER21

Mar 26, 2018
Anyone but Minnesota. Odds of getting past Round 1 without #33 and #44.... 55%. Getting past round 2...20%. Round 3 - 1%

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Best 1st place team between the two divisions gets 2nd wildcard. The other 1st place team gets the 1st wildcard. (It's the 1 vs 8 and 2 vs 7 mentality)

Last season Nashville face Colorado who had the first wild card, Vegas faced LA who had the last. Both of those teams were in their respective divisions.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Surprised to hear a Stars fan say that. The Stars have basically crushed us in underlying metrics this year... Or am I wrong?

The game on Monday will be a playoff primer, both teams know there's an increasingly strong chance they'll meet in the first round. Again, there usually isn't a whole lot of shifting in the standings this time of year.

I just think the Stars are going to have to lean too heavily on their goaltending. There will be zero room for wavering between the pipes in a playoff series. With the Stars being so bad at scoring, they won't be able to outscore any deficiencies there. Now maybe Zuccarello in the lineup helps here, but ultimately I don't think it will be enough. The Stars would need alot of things to go right to win the series.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I just think the Stars are going to have to lean too heavily on their goaltending. There will be zero room for wavering between the pipes in a playoff series. With the Stars being so bad at scoring, they won't be able to outscore any deficiencies there. Now maybe Zuccarello in the lineup helps here, but ultimately I don't think it will be enough. The Stars would need alot of things to go right to win the series.

When is Zucc expected back? We may be without Buff and Morrissey too.

I don't buy the notion that the Stars can't score. Seguin can score from anywhere...

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
When is Zucc expected back? We may be without Buff and Morrissey too.

I don't buy the notion that the Stars can't score. Seguin can score from anywhere...

He is travelling with the team starting next week and will be practicing with them at that time as well. Potentially late next week he might see some game action but I could see them not rushing him into the lineup if there isn't a benefit in the standings so maybe the three games in April. He's been skating with the team a bit but not doing much with a stick.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

the-old-reverse-hq328e.jpg

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Dallas is the easiest opponent of the potential options. They are not good at all. Arizona, Minnesota and St. Louis would all give us problems. Minnesota is extremely bad too but Boudreau is a far better coach than Maurice and this version of the Jets is extremely susceptible to the trap.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Blues are playing well lately. Beat Tampa tonight.
They might pass Nashville for 2nd
We need to press for first and get a easier wildcard opponent

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Blues are playing well lately. Beat Tampa tonight.
They might pass Nashville for 2nd
We need to press for first and get a easier wildcard opponent

I think the Blues are a good candidate to upset the Preds.

Colorado has moved to within 2 of Dallas, and essentially buried the Hawks. While they are a one trick pony for the most part, not a team I would want to play in the 1st round. One of the more physical teams. And I think the extra travel and high altitude might wear down the Jets a bit. There is no easy out in the playoffs though. I would think the Central is going to be easier to get out of than the Pacific.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Blues and Preds look like they're on a crash course for each other.

Dallas or Colorado now the likely candidates for you guys.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Well it's getting pretty close to the end of the regular season... It's looking like our first round match will be one of Dallas, St. Louis, or Arizona.

Question is, who would you rather we got matched up against in the first round?

Each team makes me nervous in one way or another.

Arizona has pretty good team speed and they have been playing some great hockey as of late, with Darcy Kuemper playing very well.

Dallas, maybe not playing very great of late but Bishop has been standing on his head. He's just returning from injury I believe. They always have some highly skilled forwards, even if they are top heavy. They have Zucc as well, unsure when he'll be ready to return.

St.Louis, I could see them being the best match up for the Jets, they lack overall team speed and have been riding the hot play of a rookie goalie who's cooled off a bit.

I personally think Dallas will be the team we match up against, those few points separating teams in the standings are really difficult to make up this time of year.

The way they looked last night, I think we might end up playing Nashville in the first round. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad