GDT: World U-18's

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Anybody care to comment on how good Iginla really is vs the hype that the Flames should take him with their 1st?

Iginla belongs in the top 10 conversation based on merit (and it appears the Flames are set to pick 9th barring a change from the lottery).

Right now I would probably predict him to be more of a middle six scorer than a true star, but he's been trending upward all year and could continue to develop rapidly in his D+1. It's worth noting that he's one of the younger top prospects for this draft, only eligible by a few weeks. A middle six scorer would still be a good pick in the back end of the top 10 anyway.

As I said before though, I hope the kid goes anywhere but Calgary or really Canada for that matter. It won't do him any good to have TSN/Sportsnet making constant comparisons, as he just isn't likely to be the HoF warrior that his dad was, no need for the added pressure.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Iginla belongs in the top 10 conversation based on merit (and it appears the Flames are set to pick 9th barring a change from the lottery).

Right now I would probably predict him to be more of a middle six scorer than a true star, but he's been trending upward all year and could continue to develop rapidly in his D+1. It's worth noting that he's one of the younger top prospects for this draft, only eligible by a few weeks. A middle six scorer would still be a good pick in the back end of the top 10 anyway.

As I said before though, I hope the kid goes anywhere but Calgary or really Canada for that matter. It won't do him any good to have TSN/Sportsnet making constant comparisons, as he just isn't likely to be the HoF warrior that his dad was, no need for the added pressure.
I’d certainly agree with you that he would be better off without the pressure of the Canadian/Calgary media and their fans in general. It’s never easy for the son of a star athlete to follow the old man. No need to add to the pressure. It might even lead to him underperforming his true talent level. I wonder if the Flames are hoping he’s gone before they pick?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Canada strikes again on the same powerplay to take the lead. Have to credit Liam Greentree for his patience and ability to absorb heavy contact to create that one.

Wow and as I type, Iginla adds a third goal on this same PP, picking the short side corner.

3-2 USA turns into 5-3 Canada in a blink of an eye.

Reactions: Kalv

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Well if there was one player whose stock might take a hit from a stupid check, it’s Connelly. Incredibly dumb and unnecessary.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Well if there was one player whose stock might take a hit from a stupid check, it’s Connelly. Incredibly dumb and unnecessary.

Yeah it was just not a good choice, one of those hits that will be called 100% of the time in these international games. For a kid who is fighting an uphill battle to show he can make good decisions, it's not likely to play well.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah it was just not a good choice, one of those hits that will be called 100% of the time in these international games. For a kid who is fighting an uphill battle to show he can make good decisions, it's not likely to play well.

Sad for the u18 usa roster…. They all play together at usndt, Connelly not part of that group

But it does set them up for redemption just like this years u20 roster, if I’m not mistaken the last 2 USA world junior golds came after disappointing u18 loses

Reactions: Kalv

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sad for the u18 usa roster…. They all play together at usndt, Connelly not part of that group

But it does set them up for redemption just like this years u20 roster

Tough way to lose, they had a great tournament and were well on their way today before the major penalty.

But have to credit the top guns for Canada, they really took advantage of the opportunity and made it count. McKenna is the real deal, not only super talented but has ice water in his veins. Iginla really stepped up when it mattered most as well. He was the main catalyst on the tying goal and had a perfectly placed shot to score the big insurance marker that turned out to be the winner. Will only bode well for his stock for sure.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Tough way to lose, they had a great tournament and were well on their way today before the major penalty.

But have to credit the top guns for Canada, they really took advantage of the opportunity and made it count. McKenna is the real deal, not only super talented but has ice water in his veins. Iginla really stepped up when it mattered most as well. He was the main catalyst on the tying goal and had a perfectly placed shot to score the big insurance marker that turned out to be the winner. Will only bode well for his stock for sure.
Oh ya McKenna was terrific, so did Hagans…. But if things go well we won’t even be thinking of drafting either guy the next 2 years.

Both kids look really good

Reactions: lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad