Value of: 10th overall pick

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Could Swayman be available? Arbitration has been known to cause turmoil to the team/player relationship.

Could Sorokin be available? NYI need to get younger, and Sorokin must be an unhappy player after this years playoffs.

Will Nashville move Askarov or Saros?

Could Nashville capitalize on McDonagh's short remaining shelf life?

Does Anaheim love another player in this draft?

Does Minnesota need to move out money? Will Kaprizov extend after his contract expires in summer 2026?

Does Brady Tkachuk want out? He is building a home in New Jersey...

Will Winnipeg shake it up after another early playoff exit?

Would Calgary capitalize on Coleman's high value after a 30 goal season?

Is Kempe going to extend in LA?
Anaheim would be very interested in the pick given their desire for quality over quantity at this point but I don’t think they have the right asset for you unless you were willing to trade back for the Edmonton 1st. I think it would have to be a trade where NJ gets way more draft capital at the expense of giving up the highest quality pick. Maybe something around the Edmonton 1st and Ducks 2nd and then balance it out from there. Wouldn’t be a sexy trade for NJ but could enable you guys to stockpile assets.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
My point is I would not use the 10th pick to get a goalie.

I don’t understand this narrative. Schneider was a good goalie and, in a vacuum, the value was good. Lou just refused to acknowledge that the team was nowhere near competitive and instead kept the team in purgatory for years because Schneider’s play was great enough to win games, but the rest of the team was not good to win enough games. A 27 year old prime Schneider for the 10th overall on this team would a great trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t understand this narrative. Schneider was a good goalie and, in a vacuum, the value was good. Lou just refused to acknowledge that the team was nowhere near competitive and instead kept the team in purgatory for years because Schneider’s play was great enough to win games, but the rest of the team was not good to win enough games. A 27 year old prime Schneider for the 10th overall on this team would a great trade.

You don't understand or you don't agree? I stand firm (outside looking in). I would not trade the 10th pick for a goalie.

There are very few goalies who can hold top 5 or top 10 value for 5+ years in a row. The teams who have the good ones, drafted them. The ones who might be available for trade, are the ones you might get good value for a few years.

Bruins have a very sound D core and they make their goalies look better. Someone like Swayman does look good yes. He can provide value but do you have the same D the Bruins have?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t understand because you’re seeming to indicate that Schneider wasn’t a good goalie.

Doesn't turn the needle like it should and did it last for 5+ years? The 10th pick has a good chance at hitting and someone on a ELC and team control for more than 5 years.

Does the goalie bring you a cup at this stage of where the Devils are at (within 3 years) lets say? I think not.

Keep your pick and draft another top line asset at D or forward. If you have a good season this year, use your 25th 1st with protection to add a goalie. A 20+ 1st is usually a decent chance at a NHL player but not likely a top line asset you can have under control for years!

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Doesn't turn the needle like it should and did it last for 5+ years? The 10th pick has a good chance at hitting and someone on a ELC and team control for more than 5 years.

Does the goalie bring you a cup at this stage of where the Devils are at (within 3 years) lets say? I think not.

Keep your pick and draft another top line asset at D or forward. If you have a good season this year, use your 25th 1st with protection to add a goalie. A 20+ 1st is usually a decent chance at a NHL player but not likely a top line asset you can have under control for years!

The 10th overall has a higher chance of busting than being an impact player.

And the Devils absolutely should be contenders within the next 3 years. The biggest issues this year were goaltending and injuries. Literally the only core players who didn’t miss substantial time to injuries were Bratt and the two rookie defensemen.

Games missed:
Hamilton - 62 games
Hughes - 20 games - and was not healthy for half his games played. Offseason shoulder surgery.
Meier - 13 games - not healthy probably at all, both MCLs injured and offseason shoulder surgery.
Hischier - 11 games
Siegnthaler - 25 games
Marino - 7 games

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

And the Devils absolutely should be contenders within the next 3 years. The biggest issues this year were goaltending and injuries. Literally the only core players who didn’t miss substantial time to injuries were Bratt and the two rookie defensemen.

Games missed:
Hamilton - 62 games
Hughes - 20 games - and was not healthy for half his games played. Offseason shoulder surgery.
Meier - 13 games - not healthy probably at all, both MCLs injured and offseason shoulder surgery.
Hischier - 11 games
Siegnthaler - 25 games
Marino - 7 games

You're not bringing in a Price value in net bud. I'd keep the 10th pick. It's my opinion and you don't have to agree with it.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
You're not bringing in a Price value in net bud. I'd keep the 10th pick. It's my opinion and you don't have to agree with it.

I’d love to see where I said anything like that.

Either way, it’s always great to hear someone’s unsolicited opinion on a team they clearly don’t follow or watch. Thanks, “bud!”

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Plenty of NJ fans see it similarly, where the other poster is disagreeing with you is that you picked a less than ideal example (granted it's the only obvious example to use). Schneider was quite good for several years with NJ. Had his hip not exploded maybe he'd have been good for a few more years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Plenty of NJ fans see it similarly, where the other poster is disagreeing with you is that you picked a less than ideal example (granted it's the only obvious example to use). Schneider was quite good for several years with NJ. Had his hip not exploded maybe he'd have been good for a few more years.

If I trade the 10th pick, I would want someone in the mix of your core and under team control for 5-10 years. Maybe you should target Askarov...if you believe he is the next one.

Schneider had how many good seasons with the Devils? Someone like Swayman is good but how good is he without that Bruins D core? Remember, both goalies look good with the Bruins. I think this is risky bud.

If the Devils are really looking to move the pick for a goalie, I'd target Askarov.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

And the Devils absolutely should be contenders within the next 3 years. The biggest issues this year were goaltending and injuries. Literally the only core players who didn’t miss substantial time to injuries were Bratt and the two rookie defensemen…
10th overall 5 busts 20 drafts 2000-2019.
12 impact players depending on definition.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
While there's a strong chance New Jersey keeps the pick to select another young player to add to their already impressive U26 core, there is also a strong chance this pick is moved to upgrade the roster NOW.

Sifting through the league, these are some names that intrigue me for the New Jersey Devils to acquire in a trade using the 10th overall pick. Some players, Devils would have to add. Maybe perhaps a lot. Some players, the other team would have to add. Nonetheless, here are some names that strike me as interesting. These are some players that could potentially be available for various reasons. (Contract status, Team shakeup, Team trending towards rebuild, Team already in rebuild, Team needing to get younger, etc.)

Goalies
Jeremy Swayman
Ilya Sorokin
Juuse Saros
Yaroslav Askarov

Defensemen
Ryan McDonagh
Cam Fowler
Jonas Brodin

Forwards
Brady Tkachuk
Drake Batherson
Kirill Kaprizov
Joel Eriksson Ek
Travis Konecny
Pavel Buchnevich
Kyle Connor
Nikolaj Ehlers
Gabe Vilardi
Blake Coleman (@50% retained)
Lawson Crouse
Adrian Kempe
Coleman for 10 is a complete joke for NJ. Sign me up.

Infact, half of this list is a complete joke. Ryan McDonagh is 34 years old, and you have him grouped in with Ilya Sorokin, Tkachuk and Kaprizov? Connor? Bro.

Also, why isnt Markstrom on this list? They almost made it happen last year they could easily re-visit at the draft

If Connor/Tkachuk/Kaprizov is available for tenth overall, calgary out bids them at 9th over all :)

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If I trade the 10th pick, I would want someone in the mix of your core and under team control for 5-10 years. Maybe you should target Askarov...if you believe he is the next one.

Schneider had how many good seasons with the Devils? Someone like Swayman is good but how good is he without that Bruins D core? Remember, both goalies look good with the Bruins. I think this is risky bud.

If the Devils are really looking to move the pick for a goalie, I'd target Askarov.
I think many NJ fans would agree with you. If there is a young prospect goalie that the team believes is the real thing, target that guy. Had the NJ GM not tipped his hand with his comments about "big game hunting" for a goalie maybe they could have done that. I think the problem is that the GM has made it clear he only wants a veteran "name" goalie. He hasn't done anything crazy yet in a trade so maybe nothing comes of it but he clearly is at a loss for NJ's goalies being so inconsistent the past few years. Some of that was circumstances and some of it was less than stellar planning.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
10th overall 5 busts 20 drafts 2000-2019.
12 impact players depending on definition.

We’ve already done this on the Devils board, it’s a flawed exercise for sure, but gives an idea

-Dalibor Dvorsky
-Pavel Mintyukov
-Tyler Boucher
-Cole Perfetti
-Vasily Podkolzin
-Evan Bouchard
-Owen Tippet
-Tyson Jost
-Mikko Rantanen
-Nick Ritchie

That’s the last decade. There’s Rantanen in a class by himself. Bouchard and Tippet are good. The rest are either too young to tell, pedestrian, or busts. Same mixed bag with picks 11 and 12. The point is, it’s a stretch to act like the 10th OA is anywhere near a guarantee. A top 5 pick? Sure, you’re more likely to hit.

Reactions: JRichard

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
My point is I would not use the 10th pick to get a goalie.
Did you actually read this thread? There aren't a whole lot of Devil fans in it that are saying they would. Most of it is other teams fans offering the Devils goalies and Devil fans saying no.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Did you actually read this thread? There aren't a whole lot of Devil fans in it that are saying they would. Most of it is other teams fans offering the Devils goalies and Devil fans saying no.

He asked me what my point was and I told him with clarity. Pretty simple question and answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad