Value of: 10th overall pick

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I don't know if you saw the goalie market this summer, but it is about as barren as I can remember. Lots of busts, lots of backups. Not a lot of guys that can give you 55-65 games a season and play at a top 10 level.

With team like Colorado, Toronto and LA who *made* the playoffs and got sunk by below par goaltending (I know TO had Woll, who can't stay healthy and hasn't played 50 games in the league yet); the market for someone like Markstrom is likely not going to be particularly small.

Jersey had essentially 3 PPG players, including one that would have likely hit around 100 if he stayed healthy this year; they have one of the youngest and most exciting defensive groups in the league. They dominated shots, and on paper should have won most games just based on the chances they generate. On the flip side, their goaltending sunk the season. No one showed up. If you guys don't think Fitzgerald doesn't feel the pressure from his group to get his guys to the next step after taking a massive one back from the prior year... I mean, I don't know what to tell you.

As fans we tend to fall into this mystery box thing. Take the pick. Take the pick.
But these GMs have shelf lives, they don't get 5-10 years to sit on picks, make them, and enjoy. They have to produce results. This'll be year 5 of his tenure, he has 1 playoff appearance. He has 4 top 4 picks from the past 7 years on his team already, his team took a step back from the year before (because of goaltending). I don't think he has another 2 seasons to figure this thing out if he gets another 890%, 3+GAA year.
All of the above is all fine, and he has value just not 10 OA. I'll repeat myself, if Ullmark return is a 2025 1st (and a small add like a 3rd from both fanbases), and he has more value than JM what then does Jerseys GM offer?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That was Lou. Remember when he traded 13oa for Romanov?

Comes down to Romanov vs Nazar? Will be interesting to see who's better long term. I remember some Habs fans crying over trading the 13th pick for Dach. :laugh:

The issue I have with trading the 10th pick is you better add an asset that has team control for at least 5+ years. If it's a goalie search, I'd target Askarov.. not Swayman who is good but looks better due to the Bruins strong D core.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Comes down to Romanov vs Nazar? Will be interesting to see who's better long term. I remember some Habs fans crying over trading the 13th pick for Dach. :laugh:

The issue I have with trading the 10th pick is you better add an asset that has team control for at least 5+ years. If it's a goalie search, I'd target Askarov.. not Swayman who is good but looks better due to the Bruins strong D core.
There’s just no reason for the Predator trade Askarov. I think we might have a better shot at Knight but there’s no real reason for Florida to trade him either.

I think our likely targets are Markstrom, Ullmark, and Saros.

Doubt the 10th OA would even be in play for Ullmark or Markstrom. Maybe the 2025 1st with protection.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
While there's a strong chance New Jersey keeps the pick to select another young player to add to their already impressive U26 core, there is also a strong chance this pick is moved to upgrade the roster NOW.

Sifting through the league, these are some names that intrigue me for the New Jersey Devils to acquire in a trade using the 10th overall pick. Some players, Devils would have to add. Maybe perhaps a lot. Some players, the other team would have to add. Nonetheless, here are some names that strike me as interesting. These are some players that could potentially be available for various reasons. (Contract status, Team shakeup, Team trending towards rebuild, Team already in rebuild, Team needing to get younger, etc.)

Goalies
Jeremy Swayman
Ilya Sorokin
Juuse Saros
Yaroslav Askarov

Defensemen
Ryan McDonagh
Cam Fowler
Jonas Brodin

Forwards
Brady Tkachuk
Drake Batherson
Kirill Kaprizov
Joel Eriksson Ek
Travis Konecny
Pavel Buchnevich
Kyle Connor
Nikolaj Ehlers
Gabe Vilardi
Blake Coleman (@50% retained)
Lawson Crouse
Adrian Kempe
I’d gladly give you Fowler 50% retained if he waived and add a decent amount on top. The 10th pick would be perfect for the Ducks.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I think 10th overall is too valuable to trade straight up for a goalie. Could the devils trade down in the first round to help get defensive depth and then use that first round pick to acquire a goalie? Something like 10th overall and Bahl to Vegas for 19th and Theodore? Then use that pick to flip for a goalie. This is just assuming Vegas is looking to move Theodore to make room to retain Marchessault

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I think 10th overall is too valuable to trade straight up for a goalie. Could the devils trade down in the first round to help get defensive depth and then use that first round pick to acquire a goalie? Something like 10th overall and Bahl to Vegas for 19th and Theodore? Then use that pick to flip for a goalie. This is just assuming Vegas is looking to move Theodore to make room to retain Marchessault
Unfortunately, Theodore's value is higher than that.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Unfortunately, Theodore's value is higher than that.
I figured Theodore would be more valuable than moving up 9 spots to the top 10, maybe sieg instead of Bahl brings the value closer? Regardless I don’t see the devils making that big of a splash on the blue line. I think they’re more likely to try and get someone like Hague to replace Smith and he and Bahl could battle it out for the final spot or even leap over sieg if he doesn’t bounce back. I just don’t like the idea of using 10 spot to get a goalie when they could possible trade down 5-10 spots and use that pick to make a goalie deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad